Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Are all BDs affected? I assume, that you're playing back cracked Blu-Ray folders, am I right?
Not all releases have complete folder structure. For most players it doesn't matter, but PowerDVD will refuse playing those "discs".
Check, if all folders are present. You can create a batch file to automate the process and use it for new films.

pushd "%~dp0"
mkdir BDMV
mkdir CERTIFICATE
cd BDMV
mkdir AUXDATA
mkdir BACKUP
mkdir BDJO
mkdir CLIPINF
mkdir JAR
mkdir META
mkdir PLAYLIST
mkdir STREAM
cd BACKUP
mkdir BDJO
mkdir CLIPINF
mkdir JAR
mkdir PLAYLIST
pause
Welcome in our "victim's club".
I'm glad you found the other topic. There is still no real solution and we have no response from AMD.
If you're watching legally bought Blu-Rays - then your only workaround is to use onboard graphics or switch to Nvidia graphics card. Or... if it looks OK to your eyes, just use the "-16%" setting in AMD driver.

Or just refund it. =)
Quote The answer is right there in the PowerDVD forum FAQ: https://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/84928.page#post_box_351269

Dave

Thanks! Solved.
I'm kinda pissed off, that sometimes PowerDVD 21 shows me ads and "special offers" for other software. I would understand this, if there would be a free or trial version of PowerDVD. But I paid for it and I don't want to see all of this. Jeez, even open source projects like MPC, VLC and others have no built in ads. Is there a button, or a registry tweak to remove it?
There are a lot of things, that can be wrong.

First of all, TruTheatre. I always disable any sort of picture enhancements, because Blu-Rays don't need them. But if you prefer unreal, "vivid" colors - then you can play around with it.

Second - graphics drivers. That's a huge mess. Home Theatre PC era is long over and native movie playpack is dead since 2015. This results in horrible driver support. The most common problem messes up black levels - resulting in washed out picture. If you're using Intel graphics - you probably won't face it. Nvidia patched it, but you can still try to change to limited dynamic range (15-255) if you have bad black levels. AMD is the worst one, the problem is unsolvable.

Then you can play with the "Video" settings in your driver and adjust the colors with presets or manual. Those setting are only applied to Blu-Ray and DVD movies in PowerDVD, but mostly not to other media players.

P.S. The most accurate and high quality way to watch films on PC is through MadVR. But you won't be able to use legal Blu-Rays, unless you crack the protection.
So, after the third message to Cyberlink's support we've got an answer. Looks like the only way to fix the problem is by terrorising AMD, until they release a new driver.

Thank you for writing back.
Regarding wrong black levels/brightness, when playing back Blu-Ray discs in PowerDVD 21 software.
For the video playback, PowerDVD would decode the video to a bitstream, it will not touch the color space's dynamic range that the video is encoded natively, and does not have the option to adjust the color space's dynamic range (16-235 or 0~255) for display when playing the video.
Technical-wise, the color space, and the dynamic range will be processed by the graphics processor and the display device you connected after PowerDVD playback decoding no matter whether the GPU decoding function (DxVA) is in use or not.
That is, if the dynamic range got changed on the display device, the color output dynamic range is mainly controlled by the GPU hardware, its driver, and the display device in the display processing chain. We are afraid this condition is NOT resolve-able by changing or updating the program codes of PowerDVD on the software side solely.
We suggest consulting the GPU manufacturer (AMD) for further technical support to investigate the concern why the dynamic range got changed after GPU decoding processing to display Blu-ray movies DRM video. It could be the most feasible solution for this color dynamic range change concern.
For the playback result that you mentioned in 3rd-party players software, as CyberLink is not the developer of the 3rd-party software, we do not have the access to the technical details of the color processing mechanism implemented in the 3rd-party software. We are afraid we might not be able to comment on the playback result delivered by the 3rd-party software.

There is only one workaround I found so far. (See screenshot) It makes the transition of black levels unnoticeable. But maybe at the cost of color accuracy. I think, that -16% corresponds to 16 shades, missing in the limited range. That would make sense.
I'm more than willing to help in this situation, but I'm not a beta-tester of their products. I paid for an expensive software, that works worse than almost every freeware. This is not the first release of PowerDVD. The company exists for almost 20 years now. This means, QA didn't make their job right.

The thing with DRM is not an excuse. It doesn't matter if you play a protected disk, a cracked copy or your own home made movie without protection. Results are the same. The decryption process only makes the files readable, the same way it's done in AnyDVD HD, but on a higher layer - so that it stays encrypted for the operating system.

I've done my part by reporting the issue to AMD and Cyberlink. If they ignore us - I still have 20 days to get a refund. It's that easy.
I have absolutely the same problem! Finally, someone in the same boat in a topic from 2021 and not 2010. =)
Now I know for sure, that the issue is not with my PC, but either at Cyberlink or AMD.

This is inacceptable. The problem is either how PowerDVD handles DXVA, or how AMD programmed the video profiles.
The default profile in "Video" tab shouldn't affect the picture at all... but it does. The only way to partialy workaround the problem, is by choosing "Custom" profile and setting the brightness to -16%. But it makes all other videos too dark.

Disablling hardware acceleration in PowerDVD works only for single video files. As soon as you try to play a Blu-Ray, DXVA is forced back on and elevates black levels.

I would suggest to make pressure on Cyberlink. Write to their customer support. They should work together with AMD on a fix.

Greetings.
Hab mir vor kurzem PowerDVD 21 Ultra gekauft, um Blu-Rays und UHD-HDR Sachen zu schauen. Leider dauerte die Freude nicht lange. Wie schon damals zu Zeiten von PDVD16 wird man schnell mit Bugs konfrontiert, die das Leben erschweren.

Das Hauptproblem sind die Schwarzwerte. Es muss nicht zwingend ein Problem von Cyberlink sein, sondern von AMD... Doch PowerDVD hält an DXVA fest (DirectX Video Acceleration), das schon immer Probleme machte. Kurz gesagt, wird das Video nicht von einem externen Renderer verarbeitet (wie z.B. EVR oder MadVR) sondern durch den Grafiktreiber. In Falle mit AMD führt das zu falschen Schwarzwerten und niedriger Qualität. In den Radeon Einstellungen lässt sich das teilweise anpassen, indem man bei den Video-Profilen "Default" zu "Custom" wechselt und die Helligkeit selbständig einstellt. Allerdings ist das ganz klar ein Bug.

Das Problem von PowerDVD ist hingegen, dass sich DXVA nicht deaktivieren lässt. Den Hacken kann man zwar wegnehmen - geändert wird aber nichts... oder nur teilweise. Denn für einzelne Videos wird es inaktiv - und alles wird richtig angezeigt. Sobald man aber eine Blu-Ray abspielt, wird DXVA unabhängig von der Einstellung aktiviert.

Hier muss eine Lösung kommen. Entweder seitens Cyberlink, oder AMD.
Oder kennt jemand ein Workarond?
Go to: