Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Same here. I cannot use more than 30% of my 12 GB of memory regardless of how many subtracks, multiple 2GB clips, special effects, etc. I am able to watch HD video, burn a DVD, surf the internet, and produce super large HD videos. Win 7 Pro 64 bit and PD( Ultra 64.
The response from tech support was this:

"Download the full version we have provided in the link (version 2521) and do not run any updates..."

Basically, the patch is busted and they say don't run any patches. I say they should fix the patch or offer me a discounted upgrade to a working product.

I'm not cheap, but if they can't patch version 8 properly, they why don't they upgrade their customers like Symantec does. I've purchased half a dozen programs from Cyberlink. It will be the last one if they are unable to provide a satisfactory tech support response.

When I install the update for PowerDVD 8 Ultra to patch 3017 in Windows Vista 32-bit. It crashes. I've uninstalled and reinstalled and no luck. I've had to revert back to patch 2815 to get it to run.
Well, I'm not sure what was said in the previous post, but I'm sure it has something to do with patch 3017 for Powerdvd 8 Ultra causing the program to cease functioning.

After updating, my program crashes on startup every time. Not a big surprise with Cyberlink products. I've not owned a Cyberlink product that worked correctly yet. Do not update to patch 3017 unless your feeling lucky. I had to uninstall and reinstall, which meant PDVD 7 and then version 8 plus the patches.

NVidia Geforce graphics drivers version 181.22 fixed the problem. The 180 drivers would not enable GPU encoding.
The box for "Enable GPU hardware encoder" is greyed out on mine too. I have a Core2 Quad @ 2.83 GHz, 2 GB of RAM and a GTX 280 video card. I am downloading the latest Nvidia drivers (181.22) right now. I will post upon completion of installation.
I have CUDA enabled in the preferences, but when I attempt to produce AVCHD MPEG4 videos, I am unable to check the box "Enable GPU hardware encoder". I am running version 2519 on both Windows XP Pro and Vista home premium.
That is good news indeed. If they incorporate ATI support for useless tools like Guassian Blur and such, then it may be a moot point for the majority of PD7 users.
Quote: can someone confirm that ATIs transcoding will work the same way as cuda

GPU acceleration for video transcoding was a lie. The only benefit is the CUDA optimization for certain advanced video effects.

Looks like we're all going to have to buy Adobe Premier or Badaboom for increased video transcoding performance.

and i if doesn´t work as like cuda does it works as follows:

1. Is ATIs transcoding only goint to help me to convert the avchd movie to a easier editing format as mpeg2.
2. Or am I going to have faster rendering time using my original avchd-files (cutting, joining, adding effects, adding sound)
3. Have i totally misunderstood what ATI is goint to do, and the ATI patch is not going to replace the need for a faster computer.

Support for ATI transcoding was never released. I believe it was scrapped.
GPU acceleration for video transcoding was a lie. The only benefit is the CUDA optimization for certain advanced video effects.

Looks like we're all going to have to buy Adobe Premier or Badaboom for increased video transcoding performance.
What an utter waste and complete disappointment... I'm even considering getting a refund and going with another encoding and editing program.

After installing the updated version and comparing production encoding times with and without CUDA acceleration enabled, I've come to the conclusion that this is not for the average user.

"PowerDirector 7’s advanced NVIDIA CUDA-enabled video effects include: Gaussian Blur, Kaleidoscope, Radial Blur, Color Edge, Light Ray, Replace Color, Pen Ink, Color Painting, Abstractionism, Glow."

The CUDA acceleration is only for the advanced video effects. Combining clips, encoding HD MPEG2 files, and encoding AVC MPEG4 files are not accelerated with this function.

The whole CUDA optimization is a small, largely useless, benefit to most powerdirector users.

I do not recommend buying Powerdirector 7 Ultra for improved video encoding times unless you use the advanced video effects on every clip. There is no encoding benefit with this program.

Once again, this is only a marketing ploy and the deceiving product pages make you think that the video encoding performance will improve with an Nvidia card. RIGHT!

"NVIDIA CUDA technology enables CyberLink PowerDirector to deliver an improved user experience by RENDERING CERTAIN VIDEO EFFECTS SIGNIFICANTLY FASTER."
If the news article states that the software patch is available on the product page, then then the link should be there. A company this prominent shouldn't have a week delay in getting a patch link on their website.

You have to write tech support with your product serial number to get a link to the full download version until they figure out the patch update.
I have similar problems. I have to save the project after every change in PD7 whether it be adding voice over, changing title menus, etc. I have produced and burned two videos with a dozen crashes between the two. Cyberlink told me to uninstall and reinstall (which I did to no avail). I hope the next patch is tested prior to release. I am afraid my $80 has been for not. Maybe the GPU encoding will make it better when it is release this quarter (if they release it on time).

Whatever you do don't call tech support without a lot of time and patience.
I just purchased PDVD8 Ultra for the sole purpose of watching my AVCHD mts and m2ts files. Each time I try to open the file, I receive a message saying: "The process cannot access the file becaue it is being used by another process". If I click OK on the error message, it goes away and the files play fine. Very confusing!
Quote: Will the Nvidia CUDA support for Powerdirector be in the form of an update patch or a new version?

I just purchased PD7 Ultra and would really like to know if it was for not. I'll keep my fingers crossed for a patch/update.

Is anyone in this forum in a position of knowledge to answer my questions. I have posted on three separate threads with not an answer or "I don't know" one.

Is this forum moderated or viewed by official tech support or users only? The questions I ask seem to be veiled in a cloak of mystery...
Will the Nvidia CUDA support for Powerdirector be in the form of an update patch or a new version?

I just purchased PD7 Ultra and would really like to know if it was for not. I'll keep my fingers crossed for a patch/update.
I recently purchased PD7 Ultra and posted a question in another thread. I read that PD7 supports ATI cards for GPU transcoding. I was wondering if PD7 Ultra supported Nvidia CUDA API for GPU transcoding? I love PD7 and don't want to have to by any other apps.
Does PD 7 Ultra support CUDA (GPU Transcoding) for NVidia GTX 280 video cards? I've been searching the internet for days trying to find definitive word.
Go to: