Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Power Director crashes too often
NothingIsWorking [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 19, 2008 21:27 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
I had a lot of problems with PD7. My PC is the best available so the issue is on PD7. I bought it for HD movie production. What a mistake!!!!
Just one very good advice how to solve that terrible crashes of PD7 during producing mpg or DVD. First of all produce just mpg2 files.
It will crash somewhere for sure. Do not panic. This is great software because even though it crashes, it did something. Wow!!! You have some file created. Now you delete from you project that part which was created by PD7 and try to produce again the rest of the movie. You must repeat the process untill it "crashes" till the end. And afterall you have 4-5-or 6 files which you import into Pinnacle 12 software and there you can join them together, add some more effects. And when you are finished the last thing you'll have to do is uninstall Power Director 7 and forget about it. My hair got almost grey when working with PD7. I did everything they recomend to solve the problem. Nothing helped. I am not doing advertisement for Pinnacle 12, but I really can compare a lot of movie producing softwares. And I must asure you that PD7 (for High Definition) is the worst one. The previous PD6 was OK, but it was not used for HD. So sorry guys. They (Cyberlink guys) wanted to be top and they released new version PD7 without testing. I bought all versions from PD4,PD5,PD6 (they worked OK) and PD7 (this was completely worthless).
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
As this is your first post here, welcome. I see you have a problem.

What build of PD7 are you using? What's the full spec of your PC - a Diagnostic File would be useful please?

http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/2405.page
Subject: PowerDirector - information we request and tasks to carry out.
PART A, PART B

Could you also supply your Customer Support reference number so I can get CyberLink to check up on the support given to you? PM me that information if you like.

Dafydd
[Moderator]

Dave [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 13, 2008 00:55 Messages: 18 Offline
[Post New]
I have similar problems. I have to save the project after every change in PD7 whether it be adding voice over, changing title menus, etc. I have produced and burned two videos with a dozen crashes between the two. Cyberlink told me to uninstall and reinstall (which I did to no avail). I hope the next patch is tested prior to release. I am afraid my $80 has been for not. Maybe the GPU encoding will make it better when it is release this quarter (if they release it on time).

Whatever you do don't call tech support without a lot of time and patience.
Peter B. [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Sunshine Coast, Qld. Australia Joined: Apr 07, 2007 21:13 Messages: 21 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,

Just thought I'd throw my 2c in. I also am using PD7 for editing HD video. I have experienced a a large number of freezes for up to 15 secs & I initially thought it had crashed & did Ctrl, alt, delete to kill it off. But once I just waited & it eventually came good which is what I do now when it happens. It seems to happen after I've been working on a big project for a while. Anything can set it off - sometimes just clicking on a clip in the timeline or one of the buttons somewhere. Once it happens usually it will happen again after a short time & it's then best to save, exit the program & start again.
Anyway that's my experience so maybe it isn't actually crashing for those other people either? Maybe they just have to wait. Hopefully Cyberlink will fix whatever is causing this soon.

Spec info:
I am using the latest build PD7, Vista Ultimate SP1, E8500 (Core 2 Duo 3.16 GHz), 4GB Ram, GF 8800GT Video so it's definately not a hardware issue. I also make sure I don't have anything running in the background which might cause a resource drain.
Ludrick Nerell [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Kingstree, SC Joined: Jan 24, 2008 18:56 Messages: 29 Offline
[Post New]
This is actually a question. I recently switched ISP's from DSL to cable, however I noticed ever since I got the cable modem installed, PD6 just freezes on me after about 15 minutes of running. Could it be my new cable connection causing this? I don't know, but like I said, it never happened when I had DSL. Someone please give me some answers!!! Only God Can Judge Me...
DWRECORDING [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 06, 2008 14:58 Messages: 22 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: This is actually a question. I recently switched ISP's from DSL to cable, however I noticed ever since I got the cable modem installed, PD6 just freezes on me after about 15 minutes of running. Could it be my new cable connection causing this? I don't know, but like I said, it never happened when I had DSL. Someone please give me some answers!!!

No way! you just have a cat5 cable going from router to pc, it would not know if you have cable,dsl,fiber. I thinks its just the app read around it does not work.
Ludrick Nerell [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Kingstree, SC Joined: Jan 24, 2008 18:56 Messages: 29 Offline
[Post New]
What does that mean? Only God Can Judge Me...