Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Thanks - I may try an editor. In the meantime, I went into windows explorer and grouped the files into folders by date taken. Then I renamed the files in batch giving it the date taken as a name and windows appends a numeric order (1), (2), (3) etc. to the filename. Only problem with that is, if I then sort by name in PD, PD treats the name as text so "10-17-09 (100)" comes before "10-17-09 (11)".

Frustrating. I'd still call the underlying problem a bug - or at least - a very poorly thought out "feature".
PS - if you ask me, I think this is a programming bug since it picks up "date modified" rather than "date taken" for file sorting of still photos within PowerDirector.
I'm replying to my own posting here hopes that it will elevate this post and that someone will have figured this out by now.

Again, since I edit my photos in Picasa, I would like to export the pictures with edits, then bring them into PowerDirector (ver 7). But when I do this PD looks at the export date, not the date the photo is taken. This makes it very difficult to order the photos by date in a video of several hundred pictures as they must all be ordered manually.

Thoughts anyone?
Wow Tony - didn't mean for you to have to run down all that info for me! But thanks a million and I guess if you picked up a few things along the way, all the better!

The variable speed was I believe indicated somewhere on the Fantom website. I couldn't find it in any of the listed specs so that made me wonder. Of course, it could still be that the underlying drive is a 7200 and that they just use some sort of power saving technique to spin it up to the required speed as needed and down when speed is not an issue (how do it know??).

I thought the 14 days of the car off the road was a pretty big claim too - particularly if your power is solar or nuclear! ; But I agree, I like to go with the energy saving devices. On the other hand, I usually put things like this on a power strip and power them off altogether when not in use. Plus I drive a Prius so maybe it'll only equate to 1/2 a day of my car being off the road. LOL.

So I suspect the 4-5 watts power savings for the dozen or so hours it might be on each month may not be worth the performance sacrifice. I'm leaning away from the "green" and toward the 7200.

Thanks again!

Tim
Hi Tony - My main purpose is to use it for backup & storage. But I thought if it was fast enough I could edit straight off of that drive without having to duplicate files elsewhere...unless that is not recommended for some reason.

Thanks!

Tim
Thanks Tony. Although the article looks a bit dated it appears to conclude that e-sata appears to be good route to go.

My bigger question is just whether anything that is not 7200 rpm is going to up to the task for video editing. Since the Fantom "green" drive is variable speed, I'm not sure it is.

The drive has garnered some good customer reviews on NewEgg but I didn't see that anyone who was using it specifically for video had commented on their satisfaction with it for that task.
Hi - does anyone have any recommendations for a 1 TB external e-sata drive? I found a "Fantom green drive" on sale at NewEgg for $99 after rebate. Sounds good, although it is "variable speed" according to Fantom. They also have a 7200 rpm version (but it is not as energy thrifty).

Any experience with these drives anyone? Any recommendations about the "green" vs. 7200 rpm for video editing purposes?

Thanks!
Did you get CUDA to work with the GTS 250 card? I am wondering because I am contemplating that card, but it is not listed as supported on the PowerDirector website, here:

http://www.cyberlink.com/products/powerdirector/cuda-optimization_en_US.html

My assumption is that maybe it has just not been added to the list.
OK - I think I answered my own stupid question. It is on the author tab, not the "modify" tab. Sorry to waste anyone's time!

This was helpful --> http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/4767.page

OK - please forgive my ignorance but I can't figure this out.

Where does PD get the menu title from when you create a DVD menu?

I don't get anything but the title "My Videos" showing up on the main menu. I know it should pull the menu name from somewhere as I watched the YouTube PD menu video. Unfortunately that video doesn't specify where PD pulls the menu name from and I can't figure out where to set the name so that PD will pull it in, in place of "My Videos".

Please help!

Thanks!
Ah - now I get it! Thanks Robert! You gents on this forum are a class act! Appreciate the help you guys give to us novices!
Hi Matt -

Understood - if I were in your shoes I would do the same. Best of luck!

Tim
Hey Matt - well I hope some of these suggestions work. But I totally understand your frustration. I have used Movie Maker too. In Vista it is actually a pretty decent (but limited) product. But hey, it comes bundled free!

I guess the more features these programs load up on the more permutations (and thus problems) they will encounter with various h/w and s/w configurations. It is hard for the manufacturers to test them all so they rely on the general public to do their bug testing! I guess that is sort of a lame defense of PD7, but there you go.

Anyway, I have found Vista (32 bit) in its latest iteration to be very good. I know some of the early users had a ton of problems. Anyway, running Vista now is really making my old XP machine look dated. Perhaps PD7 would run better under the latest version of Vista, as it does on my machine. I'm not suggesting you should reinstall Vista as your OS, but perhaps there are issues with PD7 under XP that don't exist under Vista 32 bit. Again, that is no excuse. My understanding is PD7 has issues on 64 bit Vista. So to your point, they should work on stability issues instead of features.

Tim
Matt -

I completely understand - there is only so much time one can invest in these things. Definitely get your refund if you can before your time runs out.

I have to say my experience with PD7, while not flawless, has been pretty good. I have an occasional freeze but it is pretty rare. The platform overall seems pretty stable, well designed and intuitive.

Just out of curiosity I perused the Imovie discussion board last night - you know with Macs, "it just works". Well there were a lot of the same problems (crashing, re-installs, etc). So it kind of seems par for the course with these products, unfortunately.

Anyway, I hope you are able to find an editor that meets your needs and runs in a stable manner on your hardware. Please report back if you find something really good at a comparable price. I'm always interested in knowing what is out there and working for people.

Best of luck!

Tim

PS - just to be clear on my previous post, from WITHIN PD you might try importing the files you want to bring in using control-A to select all, then opening. I don't know if I was clear in emphasizing that I was talking about from WITHIN PD. Anyway, when I use control-A PD7 does not try to show a thumbnail, so again, perhaps this would work, assuming it is the rendering of the thumbnail that is giving you the hourglass.
I do not have trouble with .MOV files. I shoot a lot of short clips with a Panasonic camera and in video mode it creates .MOV files. I am using PD v7.00.1714.

The only thing I notice is when I import them it takes a second to render the thumbnail for each - during which time I see the hourglass spin. But then it allows me to import them just fine. So I suspect it is for some reason having trouble rendering the thumbnail and is crashing out as a result. I notice it only tries to show the thumbnail if you actually click on the file. How about if you open the folder you want to import from then instead of clicking on files, use control-A to select all, then try to open? When I use control-A it does not try to show a thumbnail, so perhaps this would work.
I'm using PD7 and when I import photos and sort them by date, they aren't 100% in the right order.

In Windows Movie Maker 6, there is an option to arrange by "date taken" and when I do this, the order of the pictures are correct on my timeline. But it looks like because I have edited the photos in Picasa that the date PD sees is the date the file was exported from Picasa, not the date the photo was actually taken.

Any suggestions for getting the pics in order of "date taken"?
Quote: Hi Cindy,

It took me a little longer to get around to making this video, sorry for the delay. I might have made a couple boobs in the video because I ad-libbed as I went along and probably went over the same thing more than once on the music placement - audio files.

Anyway, see what you think of this long long long video:
http://seemyworldonvideo.com/view/238/pd7-motion-for-images/

The video is dedicated to Cindy.... well she asked for the video...

X

Dafydd

Wow! This is great. Dafydd, I'm relatively new to the forum - is there a list somewhere of any similar instructional videos you have made?

Thanks much!
Great - thanks for the advice! Hopefully I will not reach the hair pulling moment...sounds painful.
Sorry - not sure why but I misread your post - I thought you suggested a patch. My bad.

Since I had uninstalled the trial and reinstalled the "pay for" version prior to seeing this posting, I did not perform the registry edits. Do you envision this being a problem?
Thanks Dafydd.
Go to: