Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Arranging photos by "date taken" in a movie / slide show
Tim [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 02, 2008 03:07 Messages: 23 Offline
[Post New]
I'm using PD7 and when I import photos and sort them by date, they aren't 100% in the right order.

In Windows Movie Maker 6, there is an option to arrange by "date taken" and when I do this, the order of the pictures are correct on my timeline. But it looks like because I have edited the photos in Picasa that the date PD sees is the date the file was exported from Picasa, not the date the photo was actually taken.

Any suggestions for getting the pics in order of "date taken"?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jul 26. 2008 00:03

Tim [Avatar]
[Post New]
I'm replying to my own posting here hopes that it will elevate this post and that someone will have figured this out by now.

Again, since I edit my photos in Picasa, I would like to export the pictures with edits, then bring them into PowerDirector (ver 7). But when I do this PD looks at the export date, not the date the photo is taken. This makes it very difficult to order the photos by date in a video of several hundred pictures as they must all be ordered manually.

Thoughts anyone?
Tim [Avatar]
[Post New]
PS - if you ask me, I think this is a programming bug since it picks up "date modified" rather than "date taken" for file sorting of still photos within PowerDirector.
vn800rider
Senior Contributor Location: Darwen, UK Joined: May 15, 2008 04:32 Messages: 1949 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Tim,

I'm not sure I'd call it a bug - I think PD is designed that way.You seem to be right in that it reads the date modified from the EXIF data rather than the original date.

Only thing I can suggest is to use an EXIF editor to reset the date modified to the original date.

Something like EXIFeditor will do the trick and I think you can batch process.

Cheers
Adrian Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated. (see below)
Confucius
AMD Phenom IIX6 1055T, win10, 5 internal drives, 7 usb drives, struggling power supply.
Tim [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks - I may try an editor. In the meantime, I went into windows explorer and grouped the files into folders by date taken. Then I renamed the files in batch giving it the date taken as a name and windows appends a numeric order (1), (2), (3) etc. to the filename. Only problem with that is, if I then sort by name in PD, PD treats the name as text so "10-17-09 (100)" comes before "10-17-09 (11)".

Frustrating. I'd still call the underlying problem a bug - or at least - a very poorly thought out "feature".

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 24. 2009 14:27