Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Quote: I would love to be able to use all 12 GB of memory in my i7 system.

Ouch! You are spoiled
Me Too!
Quote:

Jim - the fact that PD8 has this feature disabled as standard is because Cyberlink have to produce it that way, or they would get into trouble with Sony and all the partners of the blu-ray federation or whatever they're called. That info is straight from Cyberlink themselves when Dafydd pressed them on it at my request - thanks Dafydd.

The important thing is, there's a workaround!

Cheers,

Andrew

I'll reserve judgement as to the need to have that option disabled in a Standard. I'm a member of IEEE and have been to many standards meetings in my time, and there would have to be a huge push (by the Media OEMS perhaps?) to have this option disabled => especially after it was working with other less expensive media.

Sounds like no users are present in this meeting...

But like you said "The important thing is, there's a workaround" and for that => Many Thanks
Gents,

I'm a newbie to PD8 so please be gentle.

I did a little work with PD7 (which got me to finally punt Pinnacle Studio after many frustrating years with numerous versions) but I'm getting to work on HD video from my Sony HDR-SR12 Handycam as I finally bought an LG BH10LS30 Blu-Ray Writer. Now the "system" is complete. (I already went for an EVGA nVidia 260 GTX video card, 4 gigs of DDR2 Ram, and an Intel QX6850 Quad Core so I'd have enough Horsepower.)

I installed PD8 onto my main box (Win7 Ultimate 64) just to walk through the various setup options and get a "feel" for what's new in PD8. (From my past life I do all my video editing work on a separate drive /operating system to avoid conflicts, resource allocation issues, etc.) I was up late last night trying to do this Tweak as I'd much prefer to make errors onto the Hard Drive than burn expensive Blu-Ray Coasters.

I never got it done even though I tried and tried. (I even posted here somewhere - I was so tired I forget where!) Frustrated I went to bed.

Just for grins this morning I decided to put PD8 onto my separate Video Editing Drive. On my main drive with the new 2508 patch it was a no go. But I never even opened the Create-Burn tab in this version (see above). On the separate Video Editing Drive I applied the 2220 patch (I downloaded it when it came out) and then decided to poke around a bit in PD8. The BluRay burn to folder option was greyed out so I decided to try the Regedit tweak and the Folder was there. I applied the 2508 after doing the tweak and testing (reboot / open / close PD8, etc.) and the tweak was still there.

Now I don't know what exactly was the reason (poking about in PD8 at the Burn Disk option or using an earlier patch) but it looks like it will work.

By the way, did anyone figure out what the "good reason" is for this option being unavailable in the first place?

I hope this is helpful for others.
Quote: Andy,

If you haven't done so already, goto the directors chair in the top left of the screen and select:

Edit->Preferences->Produce and then make sure the box next to 'allow SVRT on single IDR H.264 video' is ticked.

In the case of Canon and Sony AVCHD users, this MUST be ticked in order for SVRT to work properly. Without it being ticked, once PD reaches a transition, it re-encodes everything after. What it should do is only re-encode the transitions.

Your production time of 55 mins for 11 minute project clearly demonstrates that the majority of your project was re-encoded.

Check the box in preferences and then re-author the project. Let me know the new time.

Cheers,

Andrew

Andy,

Thanks for the info. I have a Sony HDR-SR12 so can I assume the 'allow SVRT on single IDR H.264 video' enabling will also help me reduce rendering times for my files? (There's a warning about incorrect bitstreams.) I used to be a Pinnacle Studio User and PD8 already seems so much faster.
Thanks for the refreshing post.
Gents,

I'd also be concerned about possible impacts of having these multiple video editiing packages on the same PC.

(I'd also clean up the registry and defrag all drives but that's just regular maintenance. )
Gents,

Having fallen into this trap too many times in Pinnacle Studio ages ago I changed my process. I do the same now in PD7.

Now when I begin to play about in a project after basic video capture, the first thing I do is rename the project by usually adding something to the title.

If it's named Christmas 2005 I make it Christmas 2005 with transistions (If I'm working on them). Or if it's Christmas 2005 with transistions and I'm working on slides, it becomes Christmas 2005 with transistions and slides. Next it's Menus, then music, etc. I typically build a project in a similar fashion. That way if I want to rework the project I can pick it up at any point before a major change and not lose time consuming detail.

I hope this is helpful.
Kevin,

I'm not quite to the sound engiineer level at all but have you tried a software approach to adjusting sound after capture? I know you can adjust sound levels on the run in PD7 and quite similarly in Pinnacle Studio Ultimate. I know there's tons of tricks in Sony Vegas, Adobe Premier, and Liquid Edition as well.

Both my new Sony HDR-SR12 and my old Panasonic PV-GS70D have microphone inputs (the Panasonic even came with a Mic) and you can mount a Mic onto the Hot Shoe on top of both. Some folks use a Sennheiser ME64/K6 or a ME67/K6 on their SR12 with no problems. The K6 uses a AA battery to provide the 48v phantom power fro the mic.

I found a thread on another forum where the user stated: "I manage to get great results with it. I do not hear any hiss. So it works. I like both mics. The ME67 is a very long shotgun and can isolate sounds very well. The ME64 is better indoors and produces good ambient sound outdoors."

Another user on a separate forum said: "I have tried the Sennheiser MKH-416 through the Beachtek in to the SR12 and it is so awesome." A response said "Yes indeed the Sennheiser MKH-416 is a bit of a legend as far as mics go. Its used widely in the professional field and even movies etc. A long-lived shotgun mic that professionals rely upon."

(Maybe you've already got one on these?)

I think the Sony is a great consumer camera and perhaps a little less pricey. Perhaps you should add it to the list.
Dafydd,

Thanks for the sad news => I was afraid of that.

I guess I'll have to get used to carving a Project into chunks and then this won't be an issue.
Jadyx,

Please post again how you made out as I have a Sony HDR-SR12 and have been testing PD7 as well.

It's close to being what I want at the moment. Not quite as flexible or with as many bells and whistles as Pinnacle Studio 12, but it does render AVCHD Files using CUDA on my EVGA GTX 260 Video Card which reduces rendering (transcoding) times.

This is going to be a tough choice...
Gents,

I'm trying to figure out whether to continue with PD7 or revert back to Pinnacle Studio 12 Ultra. I'm really only interested making DVDs (DVD+Rs for now as no BluRay Burner as yet) in AVCHD format that play on my PS3. I have a SonyHDR-SR12 camera and will use it's sofware to import the files onto my PC.

Like most video editors I've tried it seems PD7 works best with it and not much else on the Operating System Drive. Similarly it works well with both the source video files and wherever you place the rendered files on separate drives or partitions. What sets it apart for me is the ability it has to use the CUDA function to render the AVCHD files via my new EVGA GTX 260. This greatly improves rendering times over Studio 12. (With a QX6850 Quad Core and 4 Gigs of RAM)

I've got a couple questions on menus & sound.

I prefer a single one page menu with chapter buttons with moving video preview. Is there anyway to take a template and delete some of the pages leaving just the chapter page?

I noticed on my test videos so far the each AVCHD clip is a scene and the sound adjustment (by adding volume points to the sound level line) seem to only work on each clip and not the adjacent clip. Is there anyway to toggle this to control until the next set point?

Just a suggestion but I think this Forum should be further broken down into sections. Say one for PD6 and one For PD7. Then one for Capture, Produce, Edit, Create Disk and a general area below PD6 and PD7. The was it's structured now it's really tough to find things.

Thanks for the assist!
Dafydd,

Is there a simple way to not have this slide become the first chapter (like move the first chapter point further along after it's created)?

I read something about having to create a separate intro video sequence that gets pasted onto the front just prior to making the DVD. That seems a bit too involved.

Thanks for the assist.
Dafydd,

Thanks.
Jeff,

I guess assembling the different sections of a movie can reduce it to more managable "chunks" amd then Produce makes sense.

I like making a more "complete" project (Menus, transitions, music, etc., ) so my family will actually watch them at least once .

I just noticed my Sony HDR-SR12 was set on HD SP (AVC HD 7M SP) rather than HD FH (AVC HD 16M FH). Boy do I feel dumb . I can hardly wait to see if the higher bit rate transfers to better looking recordings. Or will this make rendering the project more risky as I remember reading some conflicting posts on that. (Comments Please!)

My last attempt Burning to Folder was successful but the Disk I burned with Nero wouldn't play on the PS3. (I'll try again.)

Do you have 100% sucess in making decent DVDs with PD7 or should I set my sites a little lower?

Thanks for the input.

Regards,

Jim
Hi pjc,

I"ve done the Burn to Folder bit but and then put it onto a DVD. It seems to work but I wonder what the purpose of the Produce Tab is in these cases? I'm only into producing home movies and not posting to the Web, YouTube, etc. Am I missing something by jumping straight through to the Create Disk Tab as I don't see a use for the Produce Tab for my Projects?

The HD Files produced so far by PD7 seem quite comparable on the 52 inch Toshiba to what the Sony software did => but with a few added value transitions, a menu with embedded moving video buttons, etc. : It seems strange the Produce Tab has timers, but nothing is in the Burn to Folder portion of the program.

Is there a Thread here with a sequence on how to go from AVCHD from a Sony Camcorder straight thru to making DVD Folders? (I don't want to hijack this one )

Thanks for the assist
OMG!

James / pjc => Thanks for the advice and links. I read the Thread on AVCHD Final Render Quality. This looks like this is Pinnacle all over again but this time with PD7 in AVCHD.

Ten (10!!) months with no resolution you must be livid I think that's what Pinnacle Studio did every year.

I'll expect PD8 to roll out with this as a main feature of the upgrade .

But seriously, are you gents going to wait longer or are you actively looking to other software packages for resolution? I still can't get over software companies selling packages that simply don't work as advertised. But we keep buying the stuff!

I can't get over how slick the basic Sony software is but it's really too bad it doesn't have the bells and whistles I want like Studio or PD7. By the way, the AVCHD on DVD Test Video I made with PD7 did play in the PS3.

Next time I'll try to the GPU encoding (I tried it in a previous attempt, but it failed. I'm unsure if that drive has the current nVidia drivers so that may have been the problem. ) It's not explained very well in PD7, but when you create the Files / Folders in Produce can I just burn those to a DVD (using Nero) and it'll play? Sorry if this sounds too newbie but PD is very new to me.

Thanks again.

Regards,

Jim
Folks,

This is my first post here so please be gentle. I'm writing this while attempting to burn a AVCHD DVD with PD7 sucessfully. (My first 3 attempts died.)

Background:

Although not a newbie to Camcorders and such (I bought my first one a JVC VHS-C decades ago) I am new to PD7. I recently migrated from my second camera, a Panasonic 3CCD PV-GS70 => which was awesome in it's day => to a Sony HDR-SR12. My Brother had gotten a Sony HDR-SR12 last summer and I was blown away by the video quality when he showed me Waterskiing footage he had done. So when Christmas was coming around, I put this on my wish list as a lark (they are dam expensive) and I was floored when my misses got me one.

I have been working with Pinnacle Studio for editing since version 7 and lived through too far many of their growing pains to document here. My Brother (who has been into Sony Hi 8 Camcorders before his Sony HDR-SR12) still has versions 9, 10, and skipped to 12 recently => but neither of us were really close to being satisfied until 12 Ultimate. But that was for Standard Definition. Now we are both (notice how we try to keep on the same platform this time?) are dabbling in HD.

I'm a bit of a computer geek so when we read one needed a Quad core processor to get into HD, I changed his CPU to an Intel Q6700 before Christmas (I had seen his video from the camera - not edited onto disk - he said the Sony Editor "stuttered" when editing HD with his Pentium D chip) and moved him up to 4 gigs of RAM (even though it's Win XP 32 bit => I know it only utilises about 3 gigs depending on video and other on board memory).

Once I got my Sony HDR-SR12, I bought a new Intel QX6850 and 4 Gigs of quicker Corsair Ram as well. I've set up both boxes with numerous Hard Drives - one dedicated for the OS and just video editing programs - no anti-virus, games, photo editors, nothing, one more for incoming Video Storage, and another for catching the rendered output (think DVD images / folders). All Drives are defragged regularly. I installed an EVGA GTX 260 (216 Core) last week as it has CUDA and lots (~900 Megs) of DDR3 Ram.

Both of us have PS3s (BluRay) and I've used the Sony software to on my first test videos (one indoor and another outdoor). I've viewed them via camcorder and DVD (AVCHD) on my 52 inch Toshiba HD TV and they are fantastic when compared to similar video produced on the Panasonic PV-GS70 and shown direct, or via Pinnacle produced DVDs.

Sony's bundled software works great to make DVDs that play in HD on the PS3, but they are simplistic with rudamentary menus, no transistions, etc. (But it's dam fast compared to PD7 or Studio!) I've tried to get Pinnacle 12 working with these same source files and it just can't get there yet. Their support Forum is full of stories of Woe with HD. It fails at Rendering to DVD files. Even though I've got years of experience with Studio, I'm looking for another more solid program that's reliable for all types of video. If it can't do HD reliably I'll move on. I've banged my head against the wall too much already with Pinnacle => and to a far, far lesser extent PD7.

I've held back moving to Adobe Premier Pro, Liquid Edition, or Sony Vegas, as the level of complexity in Pinnacle (and here in PD7) was all I really needed. But now I'm thinking I may need to move to one of those programs, and their near vertical learning curve to get reliable results.

Hey, PD7 just said it's Burned the DVD sucessfully and popped it out. So I'd better go test it and stop bending your ear with this rambling rant. I just like to know if PD7, like Studio 12, is really not ready for Prime Time as far as HD goes. Care to advise?

Thanks for reading this far.

Regards,

Jim

P.S. By the way, I as yet don't understand the need to "Produce" a video into a file the later Create a disk. These processes, if sucessful, seem to take a long time. I'm used to rendering in Pinnacle to DVD Folders and then I burn it in minutes with Nero as Pinnacle's burning app has been poorly done... Care to comment? Thx.
Go to: