Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Got caught again
Robert2 S
Senior Contributor Location: Australia Joined: Apr 22, 2009 05:57 Messages: 1461 Offline
[Post New]
PowerDirector 7 by default enables "10 minute auto save" of your projects which is good in one respect if you have a crash.

Where you can get caught out though is if you open up an old project to say try a different effect, different layout etc, even when you close the project and choose "Do not save changes" PD has already saved the changes and you loose your original saved project.

I forgot to turn this off when I re-installed PD and just lost 9 minutes of a 10 minute saved project. I decided to try a different format to render my project so I cut out all but a minute of the project just to save time in rendering.

As I was closing down the program I thought, bugger, and then realised that my project now only consisted of the 1 minute I had just rendered. So be careful people I got off easy I would not like the same to happen to me with an hour long project that I had just spent a week editing.

Cheers

Robert My youtube channel====> http://www.youtube.com/user/relate2?feature=mhsn
Cranston
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Aug 17, 2007 02:26 Messages: 1667 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Robert,

For what it’s worth, here’s something I do in a situation like you described.

Let’s say that there is project I’ve been working on, that is for all intents and purposes completed.
Then a few days or weeks later I get an idea (just as you described), where I think that maybe a different effect here, or different music stab there, might make this otherwise completed project better.
What I do in a situation like this, is to go to the last .pds file I have saved for the project (whether it is a packed project, or saved using other methods that can be used to save a project), and then I make/save a copy of this .pds to say... My Documents.

Then I go to My Documents, and open my project with that .pds “copy”.
That way, while I’m experimenting with some changes to the project that I thought I was done with, I’m just working off the "copy" of my last .pds save. And whatever changes I make, or whatever might go wrong, I have no worries, because I still have the original and untouched .pds to fall back on.
If something does indeed go wrong, I can just go to and open the original saved .pds, and it loads my original edit just as if nothing had ever happened.

I’ve found that if you wear Suspenders, and a Belt, when your editing video in PD, you’ll lessen your chances of “getting caught” (with your pants down), by about 50%.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Jun 08. 2009 17:37

Click here PDtoots for a collection of PowerDirector Tutorials and Tips
Robert2 S
Senior Contributor Location: Australia Joined: Apr 22, 2009 05:57 Messages: 1461 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks for that Cranston, that is a good tip and maybe something I will do in the future if I want to play with a saved project. I have turned off the auto save now so I shouldn't get caught again. I usually hit "Control S" often by habit during my normal editing so having the auto save turned off is not an inconvenience for me. It is just a bummer getting caught out like this, luckily it was not a major project, just one of my flying videos. My youtube channel====> http://www.youtube.com/user/relate2?feature=mhsn
vn800rider
Senior Contributor Location: Darwen, UK Joined: May 15, 2008 04:32 Messages: 1949 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Robert,

I'm never 100% sure of exactly how PD produces .bak files but if the timings worked right that might also be able to save the day.

I've never done any experiments on how and when it produces backup files, anyone know??

Cheers
Adrian

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jun 07. 2009 02:07

Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated. (see below)
Confucius
AMD Phenom IIX6 1055T, win10, 5 internal drives, 7 usb drives, struggling power supply.
Robert2 S
[Post New]
Hi Adrian,

Yes I had a look at the bak file, renamed it pds opened it but it was still the altered video. My youtube channel====> http://www.youtube.com/user/relate2?feature=mhsn
-Jim-
Member Location: West Coast of Canada - Home of the 2010 Winter Olympics! Joined: Mar 29, 2009 13:32 Messages: 57 Offline
[Post New]
Gents,

Having fallen into this trap too many times in Pinnacle Studio ages ago I changed my process. I do the same now in PD7.

Now when I begin to play about in a project after basic video capture, the first thing I do is rename the project by usually adding something to the title.

If it's named Christmas 2005 I make it Christmas 2005 with transistions (If I'm working on them). Or if it's Christmas 2005 with transistions and I'm working on slides, it becomes Christmas 2005 with transistions and slides. Next it's Menus, then music, etc. I typically build a project in a similar fashion. That way if I want to rework the project I can pick it up at any point before a major change and not lose time consuming detail.

I hope this is helpful. Regards,

Jim

Asus Z87-A Motherboard - O/C if needed to about 4.6 Ghz.
Intel i7 4770K CPU
16 Gigs Corsair Vengeance DDR3 Ram
OCZ 448 Gig SSD (for OS and related Video Editing Programs)
1 TB, 1.5 TB, and 3 TB Data Drives - Slide in Drawers as needed.
LG's HL-DT-ST BD-RE BH10LS30 Blu ray Burner
Samsung SH-S223F 16x DVD Burner
Gigabyte GTX 660Ti NVidia Geforce Graphics Card