Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
How long of a 1920x1080 HD video can you fit to a 25Gb BD?
[Post New]
I've learned (through personal experience) that you can burn about 1 hour of a Standard Definition video onto a 4.7Gb DVD.

What about Full HD video onto a 25Gb Blue Ray Disk? How long of a video can u fit? Read not to contradict and confute, nor to believe and take for granted... but to weigh and consider.
Andrew - Wales, UK
Contributor Location: Wales, UK Joined: Jan 27, 2009 19:16 Messages: 545 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Andy,

It's a bit of a hit and miss one this and depends entirely on your camera.

My Sony records 1920x1080 at 16mbps, and I can safely get about 3hrs on a 25gb blu-ray, and just under an hour on an 8.5gb AVCHD DVD.

Of course, if you record at 9mbps with my camera, you'd get more on the disc but at a lower quality.

I seem to remember you have a Sony?

This is using SVRT and h.264 encoding.

Cheers,

Andy
Alienware Aurora ALX R4 - Intel i7-4820 4.2 GHz - 32GB DDR3 RAM - Crucial 512GB SSD - 1TB Seagate HDD - 3TB WD Green HDD - 4TB WD Green HDD - MSI NVIDIA GTX 1070 8GB

Sony HDR-PJ810 and HDR-PJ530
[Post New]
Wales,

Believe it this post was implicitly addressed to you. Thank you for answering it promptly.

p.s. Where can I get those 8.5Gb DVDs? Aren't they called HD DVDs?

p.p.s. I recall you burn all your projects to BDs. Aren't you limiting your playback only to BlueRay players and Laptops with BD-Roms? I just thought if I was to bring some of my burned BDs to my parent's, it will take them likely a generation before they watch them. They are not that technology savvy.
Read not to contradict and confute, nor to believe and take for granted... but to weigh and consider.
Andrew - Wales, UK
Contributor Location: Wales, UK Joined: Jan 27, 2009 19:16 Messages: 545 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Andy,

The benefit of going from the timeline with raw files and directly to Create Disc is that if, in yours and my case, you want to produce a DVD in SD you just merely click on the DVD icon instead of blu-ray disc.

PD8 will then re-encode your entire project into MPEG2 and downscale to enable the HD footage to be watched on a normal DVD player. All the chapters and menus will be the same, just in SD instead of HD.

My most recent project was my cousins wedding. It was recorded in 1920x1080 HD. I provided them with a blu-ray copy and their parents with the downscaled DVD copy.

It was simply a case of going into Create Disc twice with the same raw footage on the timeline, but selecting different media to output on.

Dual layer DVDs DVD+R DL for example are what you need for 8.5gb!

Cheers,

Andrew Alienware Aurora ALX R4 - Intel i7-4820 4.2 GHz - 32GB DDR3 RAM - Crucial 512GB SSD - 1TB Seagate HDD - 3TB WD Green HDD - 4TB WD Green HDD - MSI NVIDIA GTX 1070 8GB

James Dotson
Senior Contributor Location: Tennessee Joined: Aug 24, 2009 20:40 Messages: 3066 Offline
[Post New]
I think it also depends on what you are recording. Lots of action will take more space then recording, for example, a tree blowing in the wind. __________________________________
CORNBLOSSOM
[Post New]
Had my very first AVCHD H.264 burmed onto a DVD-R last night.

An 11min project turned out to be 2.2Gb in size (resolution 19200x1080) and took 50min to burn.

This leads me to believe that a 2 hour project will feel up a 25Gb Blue Ray Disc and will take 8.5hrs to Burn. Ouch! Is it really true? Read not to contradict and confute, nor to believe and take for granted... but to weigh and consider.
Andrew - Wales, UK
[Post New]
If SVRT was working properly, it should have burned quicker than that.

You went from raw 1920x1080 files on the timeline and selected 1920x1080 and h.264 in Create Disc?

Your raw files are definately 1920x1080?

Cheers,

Andrew Alienware Aurora ALX R4 - Intel i7-4820 4.2 GHz - 32GB DDR3 RAM - Crucial 512GB SSD - 1TB Seagate HDD - 3TB WD Green HDD - 4TB WD Green HDD - MSI NVIDIA GTX 1070 8GB

Andrew - Wales, UK
[Post New]
Andy,

If you haven't done so already, goto the directors chair in the top left of the screen and select:

Edit->Preferences->Produce and then make sure the box next to 'allow SVRT on single IDR H.264 video' is ticked.

In the case of Canon and Sony AVCHD users, this MUST be ticked in order for SVRT to work properly. Without it being ticked, once PD reaches a transition, it re-encodes everything after. What it should do is only re-encode the transitions.

Your production time of 55 mins for 11 minute project clearly demonstrates that the majority of your project was re-encoded.

Check the box in preferences and then re-author the project. Let me know the new time.

Cheers,

Andrew

Alienware Aurora ALX R4 - Intel i7-4820 4.2 GHz - 32GB DDR3 RAM - Crucial 512GB SSD - 1TB Seagate HDD - 3TB WD Green HDD - 4TB WD Green HDD - MSI NVIDIA GTX 1070 8GB

[Post New]
Andrew,

Completely missed your above replies. I will try to re-burn the DVD and take a note on the difference. Reverting. Read not to contradict and confute, nor to believe and take for granted... but to weigh and consider.
[Post New]
Tried to re-burn the project onto a DVD-R with "SVRT Allowed" turned on.

Burning time was quite reduced (from 55mins to 30mins) but not as much as expected. When I went to check SVRT preview later on, I saw that about 36% of the clips required Video rendering, must be due to the transitions. I tried to delete them all and to "Produce" an AVC H.264 1920x1080 file where 0% of video needed rendering. An 18min project took only 8mins to Produce. Not bad. Read not to contradict and confute, nor to believe and take for granted... but to weigh and consider.
-Jim-
Member Location: West Coast of Canada - Home of the 2010 Winter Olympics! Joined: Mar 29, 2009 13:32 Messages: 57 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Andy,

If you haven't done so already, goto the directors chair in the top left of the screen and select:

Edit->Preferences->Produce and then make sure the box next to 'allow SVRT on single IDR H.264 video' is ticked.

In the case of Canon and Sony AVCHD users, this MUST be ticked in order for SVRT to work properly. Without it being ticked, once PD reaches a transition, it re-encodes everything after. What it should do is only re-encode the transitions.

Your production time of 55 mins for 11 minute project clearly demonstrates that the majority of your project was re-encoded.

Check the box in preferences and then re-author the project. Let me know the new time.

Cheers,

Andrew

Andy,

Thanks for the info. I have a Sony HDR-SR12 so can I assume the 'allow SVRT on single IDR H.264 video' enabling will also help me reduce rendering times for my files? (There's a warning about incorrect bitstreams.) I used to be a Pinnacle Studio User and PD8 already seems so much faster. Regards,

Jim

Asus Z87-A Motherboard - O/C if needed to about 4.6 Ghz.
Intel i7 4770K CPU
16 Gigs Corsair Vengeance DDR3 Ram
OCZ 448 Gig SSD (for OS and related Video Editing Programs)
1 TB, 1.5 TB, and 3 TB Data Drives - Slide in Drawers as needed.
LG's HL-DT-ST BD-RE BH10LS30 Blu ray Burner
Samsung SH-S223F 16x DVD Burner
Gigabyte GTX 660Ti NVidia Geforce Graphics Card
Andrew - Wales, UK
[Post New]
Hi Jim,

Yes, tick the box! Ignore the warning message - it doesn't appear to cause any problems!

Cheers,