Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
The point of H.265 is it can produce the same quality output using a lower bit rate

So if you previously did 1080p video at say 15mbps using H.264 then you should be able to render the same file using H.265 with a much lower bit rate

If you don`t drop the bit rate the file size will stay about the same

Try dropping the bit rate to say 7.5mbps and check the quality and then raise or lower the bit rate until you get the balance you want between quality & file size
Yes i think i`ve heard of Google before, but it doesn`t seem to know why windows explorer reads an H.265 mp4 file as 240fps while mediainfo reads 30fps
I would check your are up to date, pd might not have been up to date out the box or download

Here is the updates page

http://www.cyberlink.com/support/powerdirector-ultra/patches_en_GB.html
Are both your graphics drivers and pd patches up to date ?

Also what cpu, gpu and ram are you using ?
Sorry all another quick update

Checked back on the mp4 files and in windows explorer the file is read as 240fps, but in mediainfo the file is read as the correct 30fps

Is this just a problem with explorer ?

Is there any difference between mp4 & m2ts
Ok so tried a little experiment, kept all the same setting but changed from mp4 to m2ts and the correct fps displays and the file output is much smaller

Even though i have the result i want, could someone explain to me whats happening here as i have not used the m2ts format before
Ok so trying to utilize H.265 to get my file sizes down, however everytime i render with H.265 the video comes out with 240fps and the file size is no smaller than H.264

I have checked all production settings, using the exact same setting as previous H.264 renders which is 1080p@30fps with a 30000kbps bit rate

No idea why it is coming out 240fps ?
Alright Sonic thank you for your help
How can i get pd to us the gpu to render, i ticked the open cl box in settings ?
Right Sonic thanks for the advice i see whats happening now

Although the hardware encoding is not blanked out on my system when i chose to use it the video goes ok for a few seconds then freezes

When i uncheck hardware encoding it runs fine,but takes much longer, also the cpu usage as you said is very close to 100%

I also discovered the 70c although higher than i would like seems to be as high as it goes even while recording using obs and rendering in pd at the same time, the cpu hit 70c but rose no higher

The system has no dust as i only stripped and rebuilt the other day when i fitted the evo cooler after my water cooler pump failed

I think as long as it doesn`t go above 70c, i can live with that

I do have 2 new skylake systems, 1 in another room and 1 on my test bench, but both are not high end, they only have a G4400 which would be no use for video editing, i may upgrade the cpu on one of those systems and use that for video editing as then i would get the full use of the hardware encoding
Right i get what you mean now, but the hardware video encoder highlighted in your photo is not greyed out out on my system, i will make a quick video of what happens
Quote: Well, GTX970 is not able to hardware encode H.265 either.
The nvidia encoder included in GTX970 is Maxwell 1st gen, older than the one in GTX960 (Maxwell 2nd gen):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nvidia_NVENC#Second_Generation_.28Maxwell_GM107.2FGM108.29

That's why I keep saying that GTX960 or even GTX950 are better cards for video editing.
Or the newer 1000 series.

So if my 4770k can`t encode H.265 and my 970 can`t encode H.265, should that not mean my system is incapable of doing H.265 at all.

Which if the 4770k can`t encode H.265 i am baffled when i attempt to do it why the cpu temps would suddenly rise while encoding
H.265 produces the same quality but with a smaller file size, but seems to take much longer to render.

The format i use and seems to be most common is H.264, the end file size depends on a combination of, length, resolution and bit rate
Quote: The quality is crystal clear when I import a video clip from my samsung galaxy S6 and play it through the preview window. However, as soon as I add it to the timeline it says:

"Time frame conflict: The video you added is 30fps the timeline frame rate is 29.97 fps."

However if i go into settings it's already set to 30fps NTSC.

The quality is now massivley reduced with the edges of an object becoming pixilated/blobby.

Customer support suggested I "Now, import the video and produce the video in H.264 by following the steps to create custom settings :You can click on "+" symbol on Produce tab, after selecting H.264 format, to create a custom profile and adjust settings. You can set Resolution, Frame rate here and leave the other settings for the software to select the optimum profile."

This makes no idfference to the quality it is still very pixilated and "blobby". I changed the settings in h.264 to 12800x720 (the orginal size) and to 30fps... still blury!

I've attached a video to show you what I mean.

Is this just a problem with powerdirector, if so it seems fiarly fundamental. Thanks in advance for any help.

Are you setting a reasonable bit rate, such as 15000kbps for 1080p
Made another quick video, first part is run through of current folder structure, followed by temp folder on desktop with example of potential new structure

Is the new structure any better or are there any potential problems with it ?

https://youtu.be/1aGNeWD02N0
Quote: Did you watch the Project Management Tutorials?

Project Managment 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAOnn8g0C_o

Project Managment 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2CYLYIynB0

The best advice is to create a temporary folder for all of your assets and Copy the original media to that folder.

Personally I create a folder named for the project I am working on.

Thanks Carl, a good channel and good base to start

I think a permananet folder rather than a temp folder would be more suitable, as it would avoid any problems with changing file names in future, so i keep the files in a projects only folder that never have the file names changed, it would mean in my general video storage where the original files would be, even if i changed a file name it would not actually affect the project.

This method may use more drive space, but hopefully will remove the worry about have files used in projects mixed in with files not used in projects
Before starting to deal with the nightmare of changing file names in my projects, i am looking to implement a better system of storage organization and was wondering what systems others used for their file organization

Firstly do you keep a seperate section for your editing projects to your general video storage, thus ending up with duplicates of the same video`s

I am trying out different combinations of tree type folder structure to better keep my files ordered

Any advice is very much appreciated

I have linked a quick desktop recording of my folder structure at the moment, as you will see it is very generic and file names mixed, some have dates at the end, some don`t etc.

https://youtu.be/mIWqMG9fhVQ
Quote: You don't render H265 with your CPU... that's where the failure is.

Well it is only when i render using H.265 that my cpu temp rises so high, so surely the 2 are connected ?
Looking for advice on how i can get previous projects to load so i can redo them or change format etc

My only problems is with some projects when i first did the project and saved the PDS file, I stupidly used the orignal files with there default file names from the camera etc, having since then changed the file names to more practical specific names, when i click the PDS to load most of the files come up missing due to the changed file name

Anyone have any tricks to avoid having to do full re-edit ?
I normally use H.264 with mp4 to render all my videos which usually works fine and in a reasonable time.

However i decided to try H.265 and found not only was it painfully slow, but it sent my cpu temp to 70c while rendering

Is the time and temp normal for H.265 ?

My system is hardly low end with 4770k with TX3 evo cooler, 8gb 2400 ram, gtx 970 4gb

I know H.265 being the newer standard and more efficent requires more power & would be a bit slower, but if i rendered every video using it i would spend more time waiting on the render than the editing

Is H.265 a poor failed standard ?
I have also had this problem with PD14 crashing after updating to 7207.

However in my case I tracked the problem to being caused by some problem/conflict with Nvidia`s last couple of drivers

I kept getting the crash in PD14, tried everything like clean install, add more ram and still kept happening

So I took my video`s on to my other pc which is a very similar spec except for the Nvidia card and found that PD14 worked fine

So I then came back on to my main pc and tried again and still kept crashing, so I uninstalled all Nvidia software & drivers then ran PD14 and it ran perfect again

So after trying some different drivers, I found the last Nvidia driver that I could use without getting crashes was version 359.06

This may not help those of you with another brand of card, but for those with a Nvidia card, it maybe worth a try.
Go to: