Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Produce & Render MP4 File Size
cik56 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 19, 2006 15:23 Messages: 27 Offline
[Post New]
I just finished producing a MP4 video using MPEG-4 1920 x 1080/30p (15 mbps) using PD 14 for a 15 minute length project that resulted in a file size of 836,537 KB or 836.5 MB. I selected that format since that seems to be the most popular and versatile today.

I've noticed that most of the HD DVD quality movies (90 min - 2 hrs in length) will generally run about 1 GB, which using my settings would have an 1 hr project almost 4 GB in size.

Is there someone other format or settings in PDR 14 or another third partry program (that uses video compression) that would allow me to produce my project in the same HD quality (that would look good on a 70" HD TV) but with a much smaller e file size?
jamesd1981 [Avatar]
Member Location: kilmarnock Joined: May 19, 2014 04:38 Messages: 78 Offline
[Post New]
H.265 produces the same quality but with a smaller file size, but seems to take much longer to render.

The format i use and seems to be most common is H.264, the end file size depends on a combination of, length, resolution and bit rate
cik56 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 19, 2006 15:23 Messages: 27 Offline
[Post New]
I just tried the settings with a 15 min video project at MPEG-4 1920 x 1080/30p (11 mbps)did try H.265 and while it does take significantly longer (25 min), the file size is still almost 1 GB.

The MKV format is also the same using using H.265, but they can't easily be watched without conversion on an iPad or iPhone.

The bottom line is rendering high quality videos (at least 1920 x 1080) is apparently going to require a very large file size, regardless of the format selected and rendering process selected.
jamesd1981 [Avatar]
Member Location: kilmarnock Joined: May 19, 2014 04:38 Messages: 78 Offline
[Post New]
The point of H.265 is it can produce the same quality output using a lower bit rate

So if you previously did 1080p video at say 15mbps using H.264 then you should be able to render the same file using H.265 with a much lower bit rate

If you don`t drop the bit rate the file size will stay about the same

Try dropping the bit rate to say 7.5mbps and check the quality and then raise or lower the bit rate until you get the balance you want between quality & file size