Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Quote It`s pretty much 50/50.

PowerDVD 18 Version 3010:
3D: 5/5
Video/image: 4/5
Audio/headphone:5/5

PowerDVD 19 Version 2126:
3D: 5/5
Vuideo/image: 5/5 (thanks to 64-bit, images just wow!)
Audio/headphone: 2/5 ( audio distortion, still not been resolved since released)

As i have both versions on my pc, i go with 18.

Thanks for your reply. And yes I would make the same decision as you. I'd rather have an almost perfect image with great audio, than a perfect image with bad audio.
Hi everyone (and Happy Holidays)

This is fairly straightforward...
As a happy user of PDVD18 (Ultra), and someone who only watches normal (non-3d) BD and DVD movies, and content on my PC, is there any benefit for me to upgrade to 19 Ultra?

I don't use PDVD to watch any streaming services or Youtube, and I don't have any 8K content, (or an 8K TV).

I also am unable to find any clear or comprehensive comparison of new featues between version 18 and 19.

Thanks.
This is something that has been annoying me for sometime, and I think would be a nice quality of life improvement.

Whenever I am working in the PiP designer or Crop & Zoom window, all of the editing controls are disabled (grayed-out) unless I am at the very beginning of the clip in the preview window.

This means that if I want to preview my work, or make an adjustment further along in the video, I must first return the playhead to the very beginning of the clip (i.e. press STOP) before the editing controls are enabled again so I can make further adjustments.

Obviously this hampers work-flow, and means I have to constantly reset the playhead to check my work, adjust, then scrub back to where I was to check again ... rinse and repeat.

I really can't see any reason for this behavior.

(P.S.) to be clear, I am NOT talking about PLAYING the video while editing -- I am simply referring to having the playhead at any point in the video other than the beginning, which seems to disable all PiP and Cropping controls.

Thanks Jeff, I did a forum search before posting, but that thread wasn't in the results.

Now the next question... why on earth is the setting for Automatic Updates connected to a pointless youtube video during Rendering? It makes no sense at all.
Hi,

I just recently upgraded from PD 16 -> 17 Ultra.

I really like the title and chroma key enchancements, as well as the usability improvements to the timeline.

One thing that really is bothering me though is the youtube video that displays and autoplays when I start producing a movie.
This is highly annoying. I do not want my CPU and Bandwidth being spent streaming any youtube video while I'm trying to render my project.

I cannot find any setting to turn this off, but I definitely don't want it.
Updating this thread because I finally found a solution.
HDCP issues were caused by Windows 10 Hypervisor.
After that was turned off, BD's played normally on the in-built display.

Hopefully this will help someone else.
Quote I tried left click on the screen to select movie menu options, then a dialog popped up and request me open "on-screen control" instead. (TV mode)

Ah, see, but that workaround assumes that I have a mouse handy, sitting on my couch while watching on my TV. And while I could go out and buy a wireless mouse, and keep it sitting there, I do believe that the underlying issue needs to be addressed.

As what I said previously, no patch or "fixes" possible if we cannot confirm the root cause is in the software.
At technical wise, a software engineer cannot "create" a fix with no bases.

Please read my original post. I gave you two reproduceable examples using very popular Blu-Ray Movies.
I don't fully understand your reply.

How exactly do you use On-Screen Controls in TV Mode? The manual for PowerDVD 18 doesn't list it as an option for TV Mode. There is no button combination listed, and the icon is missing from the playbar in TV Mode. So how do you access it?

If it matters, my BD-Drive is a Pioneer BDR-XD05S.

In PC mode, keyboard still doesn't work, but then I can access the on-screen controls, so that's a band-aid at least
but then TV mode is completely useless.

I don't think I'm asking for anything unreasonable here.

Quote I can use on-screen control when playing Blu-rays in TV mode.

the blu-ray movie menu navigation cannot use the mouse clicking directly, therefore the on-screen control is the solution.
it is an pretty old story, and not surprised that the current powerdvd version keeps the same behavior.

Do simply ask anyone to fix any issues if we cannot confirm the root cause.
No patch possible if the root cause is not in software.

What is your blu-ray drive?
Is it a TSST (Samsung) one that the company has been already bankrupted and no compatibility and new firmware support since very long time ago?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toshiba_Samsung_Storage_Technology

Have you every tried any other Blu-ray drives if you have more than one?
So, if the condition happens when playing movies in TV mode, how about PC mode?

Give it a shot.
Hello again.

Since I never did get my laptop's HDCP display problem solved, the only way I can watch Blu-Ray movies is to connect my laptop to my TV via HDMI.

I obviously use TV Mode in PowerDVD for this.

I noticed that some BD's have problems with certain menus, and cannot navigate or select items using the keyboard (I already know that mouse doesn't work at all for BD)

Specifically titles such as Inception, and Avengers: Infinity War.

Steps to reproduce for Inception:

Start watching Inception, and stop half-way through. The next time you start it will ask if you want to resume, or start from the beginning. You will be stuck at that menu, and cannot make any choice! The only way to continue therefore, is to use the PowerDVD On-Screen Remote -- which cannot be accessed in TV Mode! I believe this to be an oversight, which needs to be patched as soon as possible.

Steps to reproduce for Infinity War:

Just start the disc, you will be stuck at the language selection screen.

I repeat, neither of these navigate using the keyboard. the ONLY option is the on-screen remote, which is unavailable in TV Mode. There needs to be a fix for this.
[quotePostId=317470]Does your laptop have hybrid GPUs? (intel + NVIDIA)

Disable the nvidia gpu in windows device manager, and check bd playback again.

Perhaps there are some compatibility issues happened after any system or driver alternation these weeks.[/quotePostId]

Even though it would've really annoyed me to need to diable my NVIDIA each time, I went to Device Manager and diabled the NVidia Diplay Adapter leaving only the Intel HD 530, and still received the same message.
Plot twist:

Now receiving the following error details when trying to play a disc, although the advisor still shows the same as in my first post.
Hearing nothing but crickets from Dell about this...

Any news on this magical PowerDVD patch to solve my problem?
Yes indeed, rebooting was the first thing I tried.

Then checking for driver updates.

Not having any other problems with this machine. In-fact it runs superbly. And I used to be able to watch BD's on it. So I'm very curious what could have messed that up.

Multiple virus scans show nothing, either.
Quote I think that it is Not a sudden.

Windows always upates itself at background after you reboot PC, sometimes it contains driver update as well.
However, powerdvd does not update itself these weeks.

New update fixes old bugs, and creates new issues.

Thanks for your reply.
So you think this is due to a Windows update?
And you're suggesting that my only solution is to wait for a PDVD patch?

If that is the case, I sure hope that it comes soon.

I downloaded and ran the Intel Driver update utility -- but it says that it can't do anything because I have a "manufacturer customized driver" -- I have yet to hear a response from Alienware support (Dell)
Out of the blue tonight I can no longer watch any of my Blu Ray movies, because PowerDVD now thinks I have an "incompatible display".

Note that this is an Alienware 17R4 laptop -- the display has never changed.

I ran the BD avisor (attached) and sure enough it now claims that my display is not HDCP compatble.

It's absolutely awesome that I cannot watch the movies I purchased, with the software I purchased, on the computer and drive I purchased, and the OS I purchased, just because someone out there is afraid that I might be a thief.
In-case anyone else wants to do this, I got it to work with a PS3 BD Remote (of all things) by pairing the remote with my computer and then having the buttons emulate keystrokes corrosponding to the PowerDVD keyboard controls. Works really well and not flaky at all. Better than the phone remote app by a mile!
As the title suggests, I would like to use a regular BD remote (either IR or Bluetooth) to control PDVD18 on my computer. I have several spare remotes sitting in my closet, and I am completely fed-up with the pitiful remote app on Android.

It's connection was very flaky and inconsistent on PowerDVD 17; and now that I upgraded to 18, it hasn't worked at all.
(yes I troubleshooted extensively -- not even interested in wasting any more time with it).

So has anyone had any success with other remotes, or universal ones?

Thanks.

Indeed, I saw that post before I created this topic. I did not think that it was referring to the same patch, as that post was from July 9th, and I just was notified of this patch yesterday when I posted.
Additionally, that post only refers to version 1815, whereas the patch I installed has the subversion of .62

So it seems if that is actually the same patch as I downloaded, it wasn't even for my digital web store version anyway. I wonder why it was even pushed to me.
Just installed the patch version 18.0.1815.62

and I'm curious what exactly it does. The release notes were extremely generic and just said "You're missing out on a smoother, faster experience."

Well okay. But any new features or bug fixes?
Go to: