Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Some problems with BD menus
Synergy [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 02, 2017 13:52 Messages: 21 Offline
[Post New]
Hello again.

Since I never did get my laptop's HDCP display problem solved, the only way I can watch Blu-Ray movies is to connect my laptop to my TV via HDMI.

I obviously use TV Mode in PowerDVD for this.

I noticed that some BD's have problems with certain menus, and cannot navigate or select items using the keyboard (I already know that mouse doesn't work at all for BD)

Specifically titles such as Inception, and Avengers: Infinity War.

Steps to reproduce for Inception:

Start watching Inception, and stop half-way through. The next time you start it will ask if you want to resume, or start from the beginning. You will be stuck at that menu, and cannot make any choice! The only way to continue therefore, is to use the PowerDVD On-Screen Remote -- which cannot be accessed in TV Mode! I believe this to be an oversight, which needs to be patched as soon as possible.

Steps to reproduce for Infinity War:

Just start the disc, you will be stuck at the language selection screen.

I repeat, neither of these navigate using the keyboard. the ONLY option is the on-screen remote, which is unavailable in TV Mode. There needs to be a fix for this.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Dec 30. 2018 12:07

QC2.0 [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Apr 27, 2016 04:02 Messages: 610 Offline
[Post New]
I can use on-screen control when playing Blu-rays in TV mode.

the blu-ray movie menu navigation cannot use the mouse clicking directly, therefore the on-screen control is the solution.
it is an pretty old story, and not surprised that the current powerdvd version keeps the same behavior.

Do simply ask anyone to fix any issues if we cannot confirm the root cause.
No patch possible if the root cause is not in software.

What is your blu-ray drive?
Is it a TSST (Samsung) one that the company has been already bankrupted and no compatibility and new firmware support since very long time ago?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toshiba_Samsung_Storage_Technology

Have you every tried any other Blu-ray drives if you have more than one?
So, if the condition happens when playing movies in TV mode, how about PC mode?

Give it a shot.
Synergy [Avatar]
[Post New]
I don't fully understand your reply.

How exactly do you use On-Screen Controls in TV Mode? The manual for PowerDVD 18 doesn't list it as an option for TV Mode. There is no button combination listed, and the icon is missing from the playbar in TV Mode. So how do you access it?

If it matters, my BD-Drive is a Pioneer BDR-XD05S.

In PC mode, keyboard still doesn't work, but then I can access the on-screen controls, so that's a band-aid at least
but then TV mode is completely useless.

I don't think I'm asking for anything unreasonable here.

Quote I can use on-screen control when playing Blu-rays in TV mode.

the blu-ray movie menu navigation cannot use the mouse clicking directly, therefore the on-screen control is the solution.
it is an pretty old story, and not surprised that the current powerdvd version keeps the same behavior.

Do simply ask anyone to fix any issues if we cannot confirm the root cause.
No patch possible if the root cause is not in software.

What is your blu-ray drive?
Is it a TSST (Samsung) one that the company has been already bankrupted and no compatibility and new firmware support since very long time ago?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toshiba_Samsung_Storage_Technology

Have you every tried any other Blu-ray drives if you have more than one?
So, if the condition happens when playing movies in TV mode, how about PC mode?

Give it a shot.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Jan 03. 2019 00:42

QC2.0 [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Apr 27, 2016 04:02 Messages: 610 Offline
[Post New]
I tried left click on the screen to select movie menu options, then a dialog popped up and request me open "on-screen control" instead. (TV mode)

If there was no dialogs, try this:
Reset the "don't show again dialogs" option in powerdvd settings.

As what I said previously, no patch or "fixes" possible if we cannot confirm the root cause is in the software.
At technical wise, a software engineer cannot "create" a fix with no bases.
Synergy [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote I tried left click on the screen to select movie menu options, then a dialog popped up and request me open "on-screen control" instead. (TV mode)

Ah, see, but that workaround assumes that I have a mouse handy, sitting on my couch while watching on my TV. And while I could go out and buy a wireless mouse, and keep it sitting there, I do believe that the underlying issue needs to be addressed.

As what I said previously, no patch or "fixes" possible if we cannot confirm the root cause is in the software.
At technical wise, a software engineer cannot "create" a fix with no bases.

Please read my original post. I gave you two reproduceable examples using very popular Blu-Ray Movies.