Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Hi Tony,

Thank you for the quick reply. I don't see any advantage to upgrade to version 15.

Bruno
Does version 15 support the HEVC codec for SVRT?
My comparaison between MSI GTX 960 4GB and Palit GTX 1070 8GB.

Codec: HEVC, max bit rate (128mb/s)

Resolution UHD

30fps

Clip length: 4 minutes (<a>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Me_vPONzy4I)</a>

This clip has no color grading.

NVidia driver: 368.81, Windows 10, i7 6700, 32GB ram

Results:

Without hardware acceleration: 116 mins

GTX 960: 12 mins 8 secs

GTX 1070: 12 mins 14 secs

Conclusion: in this case, the encoding speed is the same for both cards

Bruno
Here is the timelapse video I generated with PD14 from the 8K video for testing purpose: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B13xfYZIRuNVNTUwQ1IxUk42QWM/view?usp=sharing

Some frames shows very strong compression artifacts.. Increasing the bitrate to 100 Mbs did not help.
Hardware acceleration is greyed out after a crash during rendering. I had many with HEVC encoding with my NVIDIA graphics card. I have solved this problem by reinstaling the whole Win 10 partition from a backup under Linux (using the dd command), which for me does not requires much work. I am not a windows person. There might be an easier solution under windows.
Hi Tony,

thank you for your help and suggestion.

you were right, photos were taken at 6380x4320.

Step 1: As you suggested, I edited my Profile.init file and and added a new entry. The new entry has a resolution of 7680x4320 ( 4 times UHD, aka 8K). This is the same number of line as the NX1 28MP resolution. I used a pretty high bit rate. I started a new project, imported all my timelapse photos, set the slideshow to timelapse and produced the video with the new 4xUHD profile. The produced video looks good on my UHD TV (I don't have a 8K TV to really check it). My 3 months old computer can not play it smoothly but this is not a problem.

Step 2: I created a new project in PD and imported my 8K video produced in step 1 and added it. I did set up two keyframes. I produced the video with the standard profile UHD.

Result: the produced UHD video is really bad.

Bruno
Quote: Hi Bruno -

If I'm reading your screenshot correctly, you've built your timelapse in Slideshow Designer, & it's been returned to the timeline for further editing.

If you produce that timelapse into video format - then insert the produced file - all the regular editing buttons (keyframes etc) will be available.

Cheers - Tony

Thanks for the suggestion. Indeed I used the slideshow designer. Your suggewstion would not work for me: I need to pan and zoom. during the timelapse. With PD14, it is not possible to create a video with the original resolution of the photographs.

I don't understand whay keyframes is not available for time lapse, which is easier to handle: it is a video without a sound track and with individual frames. Well, I will have to use another software for my timelapses (e.g Kdenlive)
"Multi-GPGPU Acceleration
With the support of Multi-GPGPU, you can maximize performance from both your local GPU and external graphic cards."

I would like to know which PD 14 tasks are improved by Multi-GPGPU?
I would like to edit my timelapse using keyframes. The menu to add keyframes is not shown when I select my time lapse clip. See attached screenshot. How should I proceed?

Thanks,

Bruno
I have prepared a PD14 test that we can all use to compare the rendering performance of our computers:

https://docs.google.com/uc?id=0B13xfYZIRuNVTEF4SUU2Y0Y0NDQ&export=download

Warning: this is a 1.2 GB file. It contains two short UHD clips. The first one is color corrected.

I have attached my results as a picture to this post. I used the same colum labels and naming convention as posted by Julien Pierre.

Bruno
Good to know that the packed project is working fine on your PC. Unfortunately, both the packed project and the original project have the dual soundtrack bug on my PC. I problem did appear after I tried to replace the smartsound track with another one. If I remove the music soundtrack, then no sound is playing. And if I relplace the soundtrack by non smartsound MP3 music file, then there is no double soundtrack.

I tried your suggestion to delete the shadow files using the Preferences/General/Manually Delete/Preview cache rendered files, unfortunately without improvements.

I rerendered the project and noticed that now both video clips have a double soundtrack.

I uploaded the rendered video to the same google drive directory: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B13xfYZIRuNVdDJMamszeUNKQ28/view?usp=sharing

Thank you for taking the time to look into this issue.

Bruno
I have a problem with magic music. I selected one soundtrack with magic music for my whole video. The soundtrack is placed in the music track. So far so good. Thereafter, I deleted the music track and replaced it with another magic music track. The problem is that my first video clip is playing both soundtracks, the old and the new one, whereas the second video clip is playing only the new soundtrack, as expected. I have no idea why and suspect that this is a bug.

I packed my PD media files in one compressed folder and uploaded it on google drive:

https://docs.google.com/uc?id=0B13xfYZIRuNVTEF4SUU2Y0Y0NDQ&export=download

Warning: this is a 1.2 GB file. It contains two short UHD clips. The rendered video is not in the file. I can upload it if needed.

Thans for any help,

Bruno
Thank you for posting your test results. It certainly required some work. It is a nice table.

My Skylake motherboard is an Asus ROG Maximus VIII Gene. It is very stable wiht the latest firmware update. I am using an Intel I7 6700 (wihtout a K, I could not get a 6700K).
Quote: I do the same thing to get Intel QuickSync to show up when producing. If I run both off my GTX780Ti, I get the nVidia HW option in PD but it's in MultiGPGPU mode.

You can run 2 copies of GPUz to monitor the activity of each GPU with different monitor hookups.

Thanks for the tip about GPUz. If I enable the onboard GPU in the BIOS, I can see both GPU in GPUz.

The HEVC rendering time with only the NVIDIA graphics card for a new project is 03:21. When both the NVIDIA and the Intel GPU are enabled (confirmed by GPUz), the rendering time is 03:23. Without GPU acceleration, the rendering time is 12:27.

Conclusion: having two GPU's does not improve rendering time. At least not in the system I have.
Quote:

If both GPUs show up in Device Manager, then Multi-GPGPU should be active. There may also be a setting in your system UEFI/BIOS. If you want to use only your GTX960, you can disable the Intel GPU in Device Manager

Thanks for the info. I connected two monitors to my PC, one to the HDMI output of the motherboard and one to the DVI output of the GTX960. With this configuration, only Intel video encoding is available. No speed improvement.
Setup:

--------

System: i7 6700 Skylake, 32 GB DDR4 ram, no overcloking, Nvidia GTX960, driver 359.06

System drive: SSD Samsung XP941, media drive: Seagate SSHD 4TB

PD 14 with patch v2302

Task: rendering a short (about 4 min) UHD video in HEVC. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SwfKwO-3KIo)

Both the intel GPU and NVIDIA GPU support HEVC encoding

Results

--------

First, the NVIDIA card was removed:

Hadrware optimization OFF:

TIme: 23:16 , CPU usage during transitions: 100% (92w) , CPU usage without transitions: 100% (92w)

Hadrware optimization ON -Intel GPU

TIme: 9:46 , CPU usage during transitions: 100% (92w) , CPU usage without transitions: about 70-80% (86 w)

Second , the NVIDIA card is placed in the PCIe slot:

Hadrware optimization ON

TIme: 7:00 , CPU usage during transitions: 100% (110w) , CPU usage without transitions: about 46% (NA w)

Third , the NVIDIA card is placed in the PCIe slot and the on board GPU is enabled in the BIOS

TIme: 7:04 , CPU usage during transitions: 100% (110w) , CPU usage without transitions: about 46% (NA w)

Conclusions

--------------

For this project, the Nvidia card provides the fastest rendering (speedup factor = 3.3). The Skylake GPU comes second (speedup factor = .2.4).

The combination of both graphics cards did not bring further improvements and gave the same results as the NVIDIA card.

The problem that I don't know how to enable multi GPU acceleration. Or may be the internal GPU is always enabled/used?
I am using the 359.06 driver without issues.
PD14 + latest patches + Win 10 treshold 2

I still cannot use the SVRT for the NX1 UHD videos.

Thank you guys for the very useful comments.
Hi all,

I am new to PD 14. I am really impressed by the video output quality of PD14. I am not seeing any picture quality loss. My videos were recorded on a Samsung NX1.The encoding was accelerated by a Nvidia GTX960 card (encoding speed was about 15 fps). To enable shadow files, I installed the PD14 patches. On the negative side, I experienced several crashes of the software.

My first video is available on youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SwfKwO-3KIo

Any comments or criticts are welcome.

Bruno
I have tried to enable SVRT for encoding a video shot with my Samsung NX1. This video was encoded in 2160p30 using the HEVC codec. Without success. I had no problems with another UHD video not coming from the NX1. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Bruno
Go to: