Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
How to apply keyframes to a timelapse?
Notonotonurb [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 20, 2015 15:16 Messages: 20 Offline
[Post New]
I would like to edit my timelapse using keyframes. The menu to add keyframes is not shown when I select my time lapse clip. See attached screenshot. How should I proceed?

Thanks,

Bruno
[Thumb - timelapse_pd14.png]
 Filename
timelapse_pd14.png
[Disk]
 Description
PD14 screenshot
 Filesize
1614 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
141 time(s)
Asus Z170, i7 6700, 32GB DDR4, GTX1070
Win 10 pro
Samsung Galaxy Note 3
Samsung NX1
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Bruno -

If I'm reading your screenshot correctly, you've built your timelapse in Slideshow Designer, & it's been returned to the timeline for further editing.

If you produce that timelapse into video format - then insert the produced file - all the regular editing buttons (keyframes etc) will be available.

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
Notonotonurb [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: Hi Bruno -

If I'm reading your screenshot correctly, you've built your timelapse in Slideshow Designer, & it's been returned to the timeline for further editing.

If you produce that timelapse into video format - then insert the produced file - all the regular editing buttons (keyframes etc) will be available.

Cheers - Tony

Thanks for the suggestion. Indeed I used the slideshow designer. Your suggewstion would not work for me: I need to pan and zoom. during the timelapse. With PD14, it is not possible to create a video with the original resolution of the photographs.

I don't understand whay keyframes is not available for time lapse, which is easier to handle: it is a video without a sound track and with individual frames. Well, I will have to use another software for my timelapses (e.g Kdenlive) Asus Z170, i7 6700, 32GB DDR4, GTX1070
Win 10 pro
Samsung Galaxy Note 3
Samsung NX1
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Bruno -

I'm not familiar with the rendering options with Kdenlive, but I think you might run into the same sort of issues.

Were the photos taken on your NX1? What resolution? 6380x4320?

I just grabbed an NX1 sample shot at that resolution (not 16:9) and produced to a custom profile - 7680x4320 - in H.264 MP4 & AVC-S MP4. Both rendered successfully (I had to edit the Profile.ini because that profile isn't available in the Produce module).

Using that produced file, you could apply pan & zoom, then produce to a standard 4K profile. It's doable.

Cheers - Tony
Notonotonurb [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Tony,

thank you for your help and suggestion.

you were right, photos were taken at 6380x4320.

Step 1: As you suggested, I edited my Profile.init file and and added a new entry. The new entry has a resolution of 7680x4320 ( 4 times UHD, aka 8K). This is the same number of line as the NX1 28MP resolution. I used a pretty high bit rate. I started a new project, imported all my timelapse photos, set the slideshow to timelapse and produced the video with the new 4xUHD profile. The produced video looks good on my UHD TV (I don't have a 8K TV to really check it). My 3 months old computer can not play it smoothly but this is not a problem.

Step 2: I created a new project in PD and imported my 8K video produced in step 1 and added it. I did set up two keyframes. I produced the video with the standard profile UHD.

Result: the produced UHD video is really bad.

Bruno Asus Z170, i7 6700, 32GB DDR4, GTX1070
Win 10 pro
Samsung Galaxy Note 3
Samsung NX1
ynotfish
[Post New]
Quote: the produced UHD video is really bad

I'm not sure how you arrived at that unhappy space! In no way was I suggesting it as an ideal set of steps to follow, but it yielded very acceptable results here.

What I did, because I don't have an NX1 let alone a series of NX1 timelapse shots, was to use a groupd of sample photos from the NX1 arranged on the timeline like a fast moving slideshow. Then I followed the steps described above.

On the 4K monitor & UHD TV, both "8K" & 4K (complete with pan and zoom) versions look crisp & clean. It's true that the image quality of the original photos is superior, but we knew it would be a compromise producing in 4K.

As a side note, when people shoot time lapse sequences like *Yosemite II* the panning and zooming is not done "in post", so each photo is inserted at full resolution. The panning is the result of quite a bit of fancy equipment and methodical shooting! There's lots of information about the whole Yosemite project, including "the making of".

Am I correct in assuming that you used Video Crop & Zoom? That's what I did, but was careful not to use any less than about 40% of the screen. i.e. nowhere close to "UHD"

Cheers - Tony
Notonotonurb [Avatar]
[Post New]
Here is the timelapse video I generated with PD14 from the 8K video for testing purpose: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B13xfYZIRuNVNTUwQ1IxUk42QWM/view?usp=sharing

Some frames shows very strong compression artifacts.. Increasing the bitrate to 100 Mbs did not help. Asus Z170, i7 6700, 32GB DDR4, GTX1070
Win 10 pro
Samsung Galaxy Note 3
Samsung NX1