Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Fast Video Rendering option NOW greyed out/unselectable for JUST XAVC-S 4K all of a sudden! HELP!
GS kid
Newbie Location: Santa Barbara county, California Joined: Oct 24, 2015 22:25 Messages: 20 Offline
[Post New]
So I normally render my 4K video to XAVC-S which is also the native format of my clips from my Sony AX100 camcorder. I use a custom 4K UHD 30fps XAVC-S profile set to 100Mbps video, 384Kbps audio. I've ALWAYS had it set for Intel Quick Sync Video acceleration with no problems prior to today. Intel Quick Sync always worked great for speeding up my rendering of XAVC-S 4K videos... including recently when working on my train videos.

So last night while rendering a clip, the progress bar stopped in it's tracks for the first time ever and I noticed the estimated render time clock was increasing. The progress bar wasn't moving any further for awhile, so I pressed the cancel rendering option. But it wasn't working. I tried to close the program but it wouldn't respond to that either.

The whole time I noticed the hard drive was lit up solid. It was getting used a lot. I opened up the task manager to not only force PD14 to quit, but to also see what was accessing the hard drive and hogging resources.

Turns out my Malwarebytes scanner software had just decided to run one of it's random periodic disk scans it normally performs a few times a day. So I ended that task and PD14 too. I turned off the scanner software so it wouldn't interupt my rendering anymore.

I loaded up PD14 again and for some reason the Fast Video Rendering options are NOW unselectable for 4K video in the XAVC-S section when it's always been available (and I have always used it) in the past. That includes ALL the default 4K profiles. BOTH 1080 and 720 resolution XAVC-S are still allowed to use acceleration, but no XAVC-S 4K profiles are allowed to anymore. But under the H264 section, I can still use acceleration to speed up 4K rendering there just fine.

I still have PD13 installed and tried it out. Acceleration for 4K XAVC-S profiles still works like a charm in PD13! I rebooted the computer and PD14 still wouldn't allow it for 4K XAVC-S. I uninstalled PD14 and reinstalled it. Now I was tired.... I'm not sure if it was before or after the PD14 software update was installed... but the options were no longer greyed out and were back to normal. So I thought...YAY...it's fixed! So I worked on another clip and now the lack of an acceleration option for 4K XAVC-S is back.

I guess I can use PD13 in the mean time to get acceleration for 4K XAVC-S rendering, but that doesn't explain nor help me with the issue in PD14.

Anybody have a clue how to get it back? Sony FDR-AX100 4K UHD camcorder
Sony ECM-XYST1M Stereo Microphone
Sony VCT-VPR1 Compact Remote Control Tripod
Vello VB-1000 ActionPan Stabilizing Action Grip
PowerDirector 14
Intel i7-4510u w/8GB RAM Nvidia GTX 850M w/4GB

Notonotonurb [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 20, 2015 15:16 Messages: 20 Offline
[Post New]
Hardware acceleration is greyed out after a crash during rendering. I had many with HEVC encoding with my NVIDIA graphics card. I have solved this problem by reinstaling the whole Win 10 partition from a backup under Linux (using the dd command), which for me does not requires much work. I am not a windows person. There might be an easier solution under windows. Asus Z170, i7 6700, 32GB DDR4, GTX1070
Win 10 pro
Samsung Galaxy Note 3
Samsung NX1
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
GS kid, I've seen that happen often when the encoding processes has an abnormal termination. What I think occurs is that if PD for some reason had some type of unique encoding error for a particular format it sets a flag in windows registry. Once done, anytime one try’s the same task, you get this perhaps unwarranted error. If your system should be capable of producing the format in question, one needs to reset the windows registry key back to 0 from the imposed value of 1 for that particular format.

Edit windows registry at your own risk! With regedit migrate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cyberlink\CES_FunctionLogger\Data and see if any values are still set to 1 with PD not loaded. PD13 still works as it uses a different key value vs PD14 for XAVC-S at least for Nvidia. All those values should essentially be zero.

For me with Nvidia PD13 uses value:
NVKEPLER_UNKNOWN_FMT[H264,AAC]_3840x2160p

while PD14 uses:
NVKEPLER_MPEG4_XAVC[H264,AAC]_3840x2160p

for the same XAVC S 3840x2160/60p 60Mbps hence my guess the reason PD13 still works.

Jeff
Anders Bixbe [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Sweden Joined: Apr 05, 2012 16:55 Messages: 44 Offline
[Post New]
I also had many crashes and HWA for H264 and H265 4K was greyed out afterwards. It always came back when I changed the Nvidia driver newer or older.
The crashes stopped when I uninstalled GeForce Experience as was suggested in this forum. I have now the latest driver 361.64. I have done 15-20 projects HEVC 80Mbps and XAVC-S 100Mbps since then without problems (Trimming, transitions, text and black bars). Corsair Vengeance C70, Asus Geforce GTX 1060
Asus Prime Z370-A, Corsair RMx 850, Samsung SSD 960 EVO M.2. Windows 10,
Corsair Vengeance LP 2X16Gb DDR4 RAM,Intel i7-8700K

GS kid
Newbie Location: Santa Barbara county, California Joined: Oct 24, 2015 22:25 Messages: 20 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: GS kid, I've seen that happen often when the encoding processes has an abnormal termination. What I think occurs is that if PD for some reason had some type of unique encoding error for a particular format it sets a flag in windows registry. Once done, anytime one try’s the same task, you get this perhaps unwarranted error. If your system should be capable of producing the format in question, one needs to reset the windows registry key back to 0 from the imposed value of 1 for that particular format.

Edit windows registry at your own risk! With regedit migrate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cyberlink\CES_FunctionLogger\Data and see if any values are still set to 1 with PD not loaded. PD13 still works as it uses a different key value vs PD14 for XAVC-S at least for Nvidia. All those values should essentially be zero.

For me with Nvidia PD13 uses value:
NVKEPLER_UNKNOWN_FMT[H264,AAC]_3840x2160p

while PD14 uses:
NVKEPLER_MPEG4_XAVC[H264,AAC]_3840x2160p

for the same XAVC S 3840x2160/60p 60Mbps hence my guess the reason PD13 still works.

Jeff

Dude you are a lifesaver! That fix worked perfectly!! That Registry profile did in fact have a "1" value (I also noticed an MPEG-2 profile happen to have a "1" value too) and changing it to "0" brought back Fast Video Redering for use again. Tested it out with a clip and it went just fine. Thanks!

It's like PowerDirector 14 is set up that if it encounters problems of any kind while rendering in certain resolutions and formats using Fast Video Rendering, it just assumes it's a permanent problem and blacklists it from use for present and any future hardware acceleration.

That's a very weird and dumb way to approach the problem. Most programs allow you to just try a function over again instead of taking the function completely away. Another thing that's odd is that PD14 is set up for blacklisting it in the registry, instead of simply some PowerDirector preferences initialization file that's within the program's folders. Messing with the registry is a pretty drastic step.

It also angers me that it doesn't allow a user friendly way of turning it back ON once it's been turned OFF. I'm computer savy enough to go into the registry, but your average joe has no clue and is nervous (and rightly so) that he might make things worse.

Before I tried your fix, I sent a tech support question ticket to CyberLink with a link to this thread. Hopefully I get a decent response. They need to fix this so that it never happens again OR that it is clearly reversible by the user in a menu from within the program itself. Sony FDR-AX100 4K UHD camcorder
Sony ECM-XYST1M Stereo Microphone
Sony VCT-VPR1 Compact Remote Control Tripod
Vello VB-1000 ActionPan Stabilizing Action Grip
PowerDirector 14
Intel i7-4510u w/8GB RAM Nvidia GTX 850M w/4GB

JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: It's like PowerDirector 14 is set up that if it encounters problems of any kind while rendering in certain resolutions and formats using Fast Video Rendering, it just assumes it's a permanent problem and blacklists it from use for present and any future hardware acceleration.

What PD apparently does is write a 1 to this profile when you start to use it each and every time. Upon successful completion of encode task, it reverts back to 0. In the case of yours or many others, no chance to revert back to 0, hence the issue and need for manual correction.

Quote: Before I tried your fix, I sent a tech support question ticket to CyberLink with a link to this thread. Hopefully I get a decent response. They need to fix this so that it never happens again OR that it is clearly reversible by the user in a menu from within the program itself.

There is another thread that a different user was apprehensive with suggestion but went ahead with the regedit fix. Support sent him a regedit script, most likely to do the same, he never responded back when questioned what was in the script so I don't know for sure other than suggested fix was confirmed. http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/25/43784.page#226746

Jeff
fredmetzjr [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jun 20, 2016 20:40 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
i have amd i use m4v it renders fast
Quote So I normally render my 4K video to XAVC-S which is also the native format of my clips from my Sony AX100 camcorder. I use a custom 4K UHD 30fps XAVC-S profile set to 100Mbps video, 384Kbps audio. I've ALWAYS had it set for Intel Quick Sync Video acceleration with no problems prior to today. Intel Quick Sync always worked great for speeding up my rendering of XAVC-S 4K videos... including recently when working on my train videos.

So last night while rendering a clip, the progress bar stopped in it's tracks for the first time ever and I noticed the estimated render time clock was increasing. The progress bar wasn't moving any further for awhile, so I pressed the cancel rendering option. But it wasn't working. I tried to close the program but it wouldn't respond to that either.

The whole time I noticed the hard drive was lit up solid. It was getting used a lot. I opened up the task manager to not only force PD14 to quit, but to also see what was accessing the hard drive and hogging resources.

Turns out my Malwarebytes scanner software had just decided to run one of it's random periodic disk scans it normally performs a few times a day. So I ended that task and PD14 too. I turned off the scanner software so it wouldn't interupt my rendering anymore.

I loaded up PD14 again and for some reason the Fast Video Rendering options are NOW unselectable for 4K video in the XAVC-S section when it's always been available (and I have always used it) in the past. That includes ALL the default 4K profiles. BOTH 1080 and 720 resolution XAVC-S are still allowed to use acceleration, but no XAVC-S 4K profiles are allowed to anymore. But under the H264 section, I can still use acceleration to speed up 4K rendering there just fine.

I still have PD13 installed and tried it out. Acceleration for 4K XAVC-S profiles still works like a charm in PD13! I rebooted the computer and PD14 still wouldn't allow it for 4K XAVC-S. I uninstalled PD14 and reinstalled it. Now I was tired.... I'm not sure if it was before or after the PD14 software update was installed... but the options were no longer greyed out and were back to normal. So I thought...YAY...it's fixed! So I worked on another clip and now the lack of an acceleration option for 4K XAVC-S is back.

I guess I can use PD13 in the mean time to get acceleration for 4K XAVC-S rendering, but that doesn't explain nor help me with the issue in PD14.

Anybody have a clue how to get it back?