Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
You are the best, my friend. You ought to work in a laboratory, really.

So, I just could not understand how I could be seeing pure black during the editing, and gray in the output, all on the same monitor.

I mean, if other projects print as they look on the screen, it would seem that the monitor was already well calibrated. I stand corrected.

You have resolved the issue, then, especially since the same "gray" video shows up black on your computer--and with no "border" as you cleverly discovered.

Thanks for sharing your ingenuity with those of us who are mentally underprivileged. Ha ha.

And thanks for the link!

Sincerely,

Erik
Sorry for the delay. I thought that having the original PDS file would be even better.

At any rate, I could not reduce the size of the mp4 in order to send you the results, until today. Meanwhile I tried to upload the 30MB file yesterday, but with little success.

I have removed the audio, and shortened the file, to keep the mp4 small. Please find it attached.
What a nice guy you are. Thanks for those tips.

The first option that you mentioned was already unchecked.

I have since disabled the acceleration option that you mentioned, and tried to export, but I saw no improvement in the results.

By the way, I failed to mention that I am a bit of an amateur with this program anyway, for lack of time to learn more. Did I at least put things onto the right tracks? Which track is best for such a background color?

You know, when I drag something onto the timeline, if the cursor turns into something that suggests that certain spots on the timeline are acceptable, and others are not, I have not concerned myself too much with which line I chose.
At first I just placed a black square in JPG format, then, just as a test, I used the default black colorboard, and both gave me the right look on the editing screen, but neither one exported to true black when converting to mp4.

Attached is my homemade black screen in JPG format, but you might as well try the built-in black colorboard, instead.
Oh shucks. Sorry about that. The missing item is just a black color background from the little tab that says something like "color boards" It is supposed to be jet black.

There was never any gray background used.
Here is the whole PDS file reduced in size.

I removed the mp3 soundtrack, to make it smaller.

The font used is also attached.
Wow. Thank you for taking the time to run that test.

Yes, I was trying to upload the mp4 output, but I must have lost a connection. It is a 13MB file.

So I am trying to make a smaller version to share with you....
First of all, my monitor sees the original, true-black background without any special calibration, while editing. The problem begins only when exporting to mp4, and at that point my monitor is in exactly the same state as it was when I began exporting to mp4.

As you can see from today's screenshot, the playback video looks just as bad in VLC as it does in QuickTime; namely, the true-black background turns into a gray background.
Hello, friends.

I'm using PowerDirector to make a Karaoke video with the lyrics to a song, in ordinary white text, on the default, true-black background.

Nevertheless, when exporting to mp4, my black background turns into a medium gray throughout.

Can you please tell me how to fix this?
Thank you, Carl and Tony. A wonderful help you are.
Wow. I never would have thought to look there. You are right. Thank you so much, Shadowman.
Ouch. I just discovered that the newer version of Freemake Video Converter also comes with more sneakyware, programs that install themselves, change your home page, and load at startup; about three or four in total now--it used to come with OpenCandy only and, as usual, the installation process takes the user through several screens, one of which appears completely blank, which by accepting or clicking "next" causes the user to accept whatever was written in invisible ink on the blank screen.

Incidentally, on another forum someone says that Format Factory now comes with the same type of secretware, or perhaps even a virus, (which may or may not be the fault of the programmer, but may be a question of where it was downloaded from.)

I assume that someone has already begun a thread on recommended freeware (or commercial software) for simply converting video files from one format to another. Would you mind sharing a link to that thread? I would like to try all those programs and settle with the best of the bunch.
Hello, friends.

I have been using Power Director 13 for just a few weeks now, having used Windows Movie Maker previously. Rather than read through the manual I usually look for an intuitive approach first, or I try what what I used to do in Windows Movie Maker, and if it works, I proceed.

Until now I have been applying FX to my video track, rather than to the FX track, as this is what I used to do, and it seems to work equally well. In fact, I think that this is the only way to make transitions, as well, so you can see how I found it to be the intuitive approach.

Recently I applied the standard zoom-in effect to two or three clips, then changed my mind during another session, long after rebooting. Now I do not know how to remove the effect, after it is applied. I get the little black-and-orange "i" in the corner of the clip affected, as a reminder that it has an effect applied, but I see no way of removing the effect, neither in the context menu nor in any other part of the interface. I have tried clicking on the symbol itself, on the clip, on the far left edge of the track, etc., but I find no solution.

Please kindly tell me someone how to remove the effect, if you would.
Thanks, Neil. I appreciate that explanation.
Thank you for that tip, Neil. Very clever.

In fact, I have no problem aligning frames, but the audio channel does not follow suit, of course, so aligning two video tracks with audio attached to each, is impossible, as far as I can tell. I tried Carl's period and comma suggestion, but that seems to move the cursor frame by fame, with no regard for the sound waves below that, which are the part that I wish I could align.

As for the frame rates, I've just imported a clip and PowerDirector warned me that it did not match the FPS that was on the adjacent clip (as each came from a different video camera.) How can I reconcile one clip of 30fps with another clip of 29.7 on the same channel?
Thanks, Shadowman.

In fact, I have been using Freemake for that, but thanks for the new lead.

But really, the question is why I must convert files so frequently, just to get them to open in the program.

they all come from the internet, youtube, etc.

Actually, come to think of it, I think I downloaded them with Freemake. Maybe Freemake is the one that corrupted them. Of course they open fine in other program, but not with Power Director.

Thanks for your ideas, my friend.
Hello, friends.

I am in the same bind, getting the message sporadically, ""an error occurred while opening this media file in the media library.."

I am using PowerDirector 13. It happens when importing an FLV file.

My Quicktime is updated to 7.l7.9.

My sistem is Vista Ultimate, 4GB RAM, 100GB HDD, etc.

The file in question opens easily in VLC.
Thank you, Adrian. I was afraid you would say that.
Does anyone know how to buy an extra license for this older version, Director Suite 3? In other words, I would assume that the price for an extra license to a current user would be less than for a new user buying the product outright. Perhaps that is not so. Otherwise, I may want to buy a license only for Power Director 13 (not 15), and so how would I do that through Cyberlink? Thanks.
Thank you, James. I am not sure whether that means that you don't know, or that you don't want to say, but thanks for the input, just the same.
Go to: