Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
An error occurred while opening this media file in the media library.
nightstalker [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jun 15, 2014 13:08 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
Hello,

i receive this message while importing mp4, ts files.
i tried over 20 different files but receive this error.

installed K-lite codec mega pack and quick time included in powerdirector.
Windows 8.1 x64 OS.
[Thumb - Untitled.png]
 Filename
Untitled.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
9 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
304 time(s)
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Hello,

Windows 8.1 x64 OS.

Update your QuickTime.

If you don't have QuickTime installed, Install it.
QuickTime provides support for MOV and MP4 files.

http://www.apple.com/quicktime/download/

Edited, thanks Tony!

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 17. 2017 14:10

Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

ErikJon777 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 26, 2015 17:15 Messages: 23 Offline
[Post New]
Hello, friends.

I am in the same bind, getting the message sporadically, ""an error occurred while opening this media file in the media library.."

I am using PowerDirector 13. It happens when importing an FLV file.

My Quicktime is updated to 7.l7.9.

My sistem is Vista Ultimate, 4GB RAM, 100GB HDD, etc.

The file in question opens easily in VLC.
The Shadowman
Senior Contributor Location: UK Joined: Dec 15, 2014 13:06 Messages: 1831 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Hello,

Windows 8.1 x64 OS.

ErikJon777

Try putting one of the faulty files through something like FORMAT FACTORY. Convert it to the same specification as the original, then see if that works.

If it works, you need to think about the source of the faulty files. If it doesn't consider additional RAM, 4GBs isn't much for this kind of work.

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Jan 15. 2017 09:18

Panny TM10, GH2, GH4,
ErikJon777 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks, Shadowman.

In fact, I have been using Freemake for that, but thanks for the new lead.

But really, the question is why I must convert files so frequently, just to get them to open in the program.

they all come from the internet, youtube, etc.

Actually, come to think of it, I think I downloaded them with Freemake. Maybe Freemake is the one that corrupted them. Of course they open fine in other program, but not with Power Director.

Thanks for your ideas, my friend.
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
The slightly older freemake works well. The newer versions have a a daily popup and nag screen and asking you to update to the king level to obtain some of the previous features that you got for free. You may want to consider paying to get the better version for your downloading.
ErikJon777 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Ouch. I just discovered that the newer version of Freemake Video Converter also comes with more sneakyware, programs that install themselves, change your home page, and load at startup; about three or four in total now--it used to come with OpenCandy only and, as usual, the installation process takes the user through several screens, one of which appears completely blank, which by accepting or clicking "next" causes the user to accept whatever was written in invisible ink on the blank screen.

Incidentally, on another forum someone says that Format Factory now comes with the same type of secretware, or perhaps even a virus, (which may or may not be the fault of the programmer, but may be a question of where it was downloaded from.)

I assume that someone has already begun a thread on recommended freeware (or commercial software) for simply converting video files from one format to another. Would you mind sharing a link to that thread? I would like to try all those programs and settle with the best of the bunch.
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Ouch. I just discovered that the newer version of Freemake Video Converter also comes with more sneakyware, programs that install themselves, change your home page, and load at startup; about three or four in total now--it used to come with OpenCandy only and, as usual, the installation process takes the user through several screens, one of which appears completely blank, which by accepting or clicking "next" causes the user to accept whatever was written in invisible ink on the blank screen.

Incidentally, on another forum someone says that Format Factory now comes with the same type of secretware, or perhaps even a virus, (which may or may not be the fault of the programmer, but may be a question of where it was downloaded from.)

I assume that someone has already begun a thread on recommended freeware (or commercial software) for simply converting video files from one format to another. Would you mind sharing a link to that thread? I would like to try all those programs and settle with the best of the bunch.
Barrythecrab has some links on his website.

http://bgillcyberstudio.com/index.html

He has many good items.

. Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Not sure where the OP is, but...

ErikJon777 - Yes - FreeMake comes with Malware, which can be avoided if you're as sneaky as them! That "blank" screen isn't (if you scroll down). I'd ditch it anyway & its associated crud.

You mentioned VLC Player - VLC has a Convert/Save function. I've never used it, so can't offer advice.

HandBrake, which is open-source rather than "freeware" is one of the best conversion options, in my view (& doesn't come with nasties). It gives you excellent control of output quality.

For downloading videos from YouTube & other sites, I've been using 4K VideoDownloader for some years now. One of its options is to download original quality (i.e. the best available).

Carl - I'm surprised at the statement: Powerdirector does not use the K-lite codec pack or any external codec pack. Powerdirector uses it own internal codecs, given the number of PDR users who've resolved decoding errors by installing external codecs. N.B. Given that PDR 15 does not have QT installed by default, QT would be considered an "external codec". Its presence allows me to use alpha channel video. Without it? No go.

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
ErikJon777 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thank you, Carl and Tony. A wonderful help you are.