Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Syncing audio and video, power director 11
juliefair7 [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Lancashire Joined: Apr 04, 2016 10:05 Messages: 6 Offline
[Post New]
Can anyone tell me how to sync audio and video on power director 11?

I was directed to a "sync by audio button" but I dont have or cant find this option?
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Can anyone tell me how to sync audio and video on power director 11?

I was directed to a "sync by audio button" but I dont have or cant find this option?
I don't think PD 11 has that option.

You can manually sync by moving tracks relative to each other. Expand the timeline makes it easier to move by small increments. There are Keyboard shortcuts for moving frame by frame (I think "." period and "," comma are the keys). Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

juliefair7 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Carl

Thanks for your reply,

Unfortunately I have tried this and it's still not syncng up, but will try again.
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Hi Carl

Thanks for your reply,

Unfortunately I have tried this and it's still not syncng up, but will try again.
If you expand the timeline to Maxium (frame) level,

You can get as close as 33 ms for NTSC. Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

juliefair7 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks again Carl!

Whats NTSC? Sorry am new to all this jargon
Fenman
Senior Contributor Location: Cambridge, UK Joined: Nov 24, 2011 04:44 Messages: 731 Offline
[Post New]
National Television Systems Committee. It's the broadcast standard for North America and some other parts of the world. As you're in Lancashire it won't be relevant for you as our standard is PAL (Phase Alternation Line) but if you're interested in finding out about these things a lot of information can be had by simply Googling for it, e.g.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NTSC

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PAL Regards,
Mike

Home-build system:
Intel Core i5 Quad Core 3.3GHz, 2 x 4GB DDR3 1333MHz,
Asus Nvidia GT440 1GB, 2 x Western Digital WD10EARS 1TB, 1 x Seagate ST1000DM010 1TB,
Windows 7 Prof 64-bit, PD 9 Ultra 64, PD 13 Ultimate 64
Carl312
[Post New]
Quote: Thanks again Carl!

Whats NTSC? Sorry am new to all this jargon
Fenman answered you.

For PAL, the frame period is 40 ms. (milliseconds). PAL is World wide Television 25 frames per second.

NTSC is North American Television. 29.97 frames per second. Often called 30 frames per second. Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

juliefair7 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks Carl and Mike!
brenda [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: May 10, 2016 13:41 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
Help, New to Power Director 12. When I capture AVI video the audio and video are out of sync. I am doing a slideshow for my G-daughter graduation and am on a timeline no pun intended. I was able to capture 3 Avi clips Saturday but most of the time it is out of sync.
Carl312
[Post New]
Brenda, You should start your own Topic. This is a month old thread and about PD 11, you question is about PD 12 and may be a different issue. Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

Neil.F.1955 [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Mar 07, 2012 09:15 Messages: 1303 Offline
[Post New]
Hello, all!

In relation to synchronising audio to video, I have a method that may appear cumbersome to some or most people on this forum, but it has worked for me. I use ithis method in PD14 and my other "Voldemort" version(the version that shall not be named... because I referred to it often in the past - ha-ha). I'll assume we're trying to sync two different views of the same event, shot on separate cameras(of course, Duh!). This info is based on recent editing I've done where I, and a friend of mine, shot video of steam locos coming into a station. For the purpose of explanation, I'll call Video Track 1 the "master" and other video tracks as PiP tracks. So here's how I did it:

1) I put my clip on the master video track and noted its length in minutes and seconds(also trimmed of any excess frames beyond an exact number of minutes and seconds, but that's optional). Listened to the track for any stand-out sound(steam whistle, perhaps) and noted how that sound showed on the audio track, that was my audio cue.

2) I then put my friend's clip of the same loco coming into the station, so I could hear his track in detail, I temporarily muted the master's audio. I then listened for that same steam whistle, and split the clip at that point, deleting the part before the split. I then cut the wanted part of the clip, using Ctrl+X, un-muted the master track and listened again for the steam whistle.

3) On finding the point where that whistle sounded, I put the scrubber just ahead of that point, then, with Ctrl+V, pasted the friend's clip back on to the PiP track. As luck had it, it matched up perfectly.

4) The bit of my friend's clip which I deleted ahead of the whistle for syncing purposes, was not entirely lost. By "grabbing" the starting point of the clip, I could drag it back out to its original starting point with the whistle sounds still perfectly paired up in sync with each other. If my friend's clip ran beyond the end of mine, snip-snip and the extra bit ends up on the "cutting room floor".

5) Bringing the PiP clip into and out of view can be done by simple fade-in & fade out in Modify, but because I can put transition effects on the PiP tracks in PD14, and no doubt versions PD9 through to PD13 allow the same, this allows for some really stunning tricks for introducing the PiP image, or "inset". and equally stunning for its exit. For this, I used a colour board of 8 seconds, white, because it's a neutral shade, rendered transparent with the Chroma-Key, copied so it could be pasted in behind the PiP. The transitions I use are 5 seconds long. At the point where the inset is to appear I drop a transition into place but as a cross, not overlap(overlap will take the inset out of sync, cross retains the sync). At the end it can be overlap or cross. I used Swing for the into and burning for the exit, and because the inset was at bottom-right, the swing made it appear like a gate swinging closed. It looked truly brilliant, even if I do say so myself!

6) If you do use the method described in paragraph 5, experiment a bit, look for a transition that a) doesn't give a momentary still-frame, as the intro needs to be a cross transition, and b) doesn't affect the background(main screen image).

Well, there you have it, hope the above gives a few ideas for when you get that "syncing feeling"!

Cheers!

Neil.
ErikJon777 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 26, 2015 17:15 Messages: 23 Offline
[Post New]
Thank you for that tip, Neil. Very clever.

In fact, I have no problem aligning frames, but the audio channel does not follow suit, of course, so aligning two video tracks with audio attached to each, is impossible, as far as I can tell. I tried Carl's period and comma suggestion, but that seems to move the cursor frame by fame, with no regard for the sound waves below that, which are the part that I wish I could align.

As for the frame rates, I've just imported a clip and PowerDirector warned me that it did not match the FPS that was on the adjacent clip (as each came from a different video camera.) How can I reconcile one clip of 30fps with another clip of 29.7 on the same channel?
Neil.F.1955 [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Mar 07, 2012 09:15 Messages: 1303 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Thank you for that tip, Neil. Very clever.

In fact, I have no problem aligning frames, but the audio channel does not follow suit, of course, so aligning two video tracks with audio attached to each, is impossible, as far as I can tell. I tried Carl's period and comma suggestion, but that seems to move the cursor frame by fame, with no regard for the sound waves below that, which are the part that I wish I could align.

As for the frame rates, I've just imported a clip and PowerDirector warned me that it did not match the FPS that was on the adjacent clip (as each came from a different video camera.) How can I reconcile one clip of 30fps with another clip of 29.7 on the same channel?

Thanks, ErikJon777!

It's a method I've employed ever since back when I used PD7. It's always worked well for me but is reliant on the audio and video being properly synced in the raw content from the cameras, generally not a problem, but occasionally the software which belongs to the camera might have a glitch that throws video & audio out of sync. The solution there is to uninstall that software, take the SD card out of the camera(first, turning the camera off0 then insert the SD card in a card-reader connected via USB to computer, then copy the card's content across to your computer's hard-drive and you'll have fully-synchronised material ready for edit, however you want to edit it.

Software belonging to camera? Some models had a software disc which came with them to facilitate copying content, In the experience of many, these software discs were unnecessary and redundant. The camera itself with SD card still inside would, when USB-connected to a computer, would behave like an external hard-drive, or the SD card could be taken out of the camera and put in a card-reader USB-connected to the computer. Either way, content could be reliably copied from camera to computer, avoiding any potential glitches which might cause out-of-sync content. That said, PD11 should allow synchronising in the method I explained back in May, last year. With some experimentation, Juliefair7, you may even come up with some methods of your own for synchronising audio & video.
ErikJon777 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 26, 2015 17:15 Messages: 23 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks, Neil. I appreciate that explanation.