Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
I built one of these rigs and am happy with the results. Got $5? The more stable the initial vid the better the end result.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZtlSVgG1h8
Opto, ProcMon is a neat tool to see what is going on behind the scenes. The most critical of the events mine generated were buffer overflows which is a bad thing in any case - it indicates a program that has erratic memory handling routines. I might understand if if my system didn't have beefy memory.

SFC is a neat program (I ran it earlier and fouind no issues) however there is another solution which I've found beats MS's utilities hands down. Auslogics Boost Speed will allow you to clean and fix the registry and defrag it, defrag and optimize the hard drives, and a lot of other functions that I can't remember right now.

I am inclined to think I may have a hardware combination that PD just doesn't like. I'm running a machine built for gaming and it will run most of the newer stuff at max settings but doing something as simple as going from PD to waveditor and back with a small mp3 file (less than 1 mb) causes PD to stutter even when I shut down my other unnecessary software like Symantec, printer monitors, etc.

It does render at a very acceptable speed with no issues however so I'm inclined to believe that it's the way PD addresses the memory on my system when making calls to other programs that causes issues. When it's working within itself I have absolutely no issues. I have offered a copy of the dumpfile showing the system calls to tech support, let's see if they want it or not.
Well gents based on your recommendations and the research I've been doing I settled on a refurbished Canon Vixia HF R42. The total cost with Fedex 2 day came to around $227 which gives me enough money left over to buy 4 good quality 64gb SDXC cards, another case for the camera, a cheap set of external lights, a greenscreen, a decent external microphone, and other odds and ends and still end up well under budget. That will make the wife very happy

Thanks all for your help and input. It is appreciated.
Sam try it using the open project link listed under the File menu option.
Isn't the only way a camera can be used for direct capture in PD12 via Firewire?
Well gents it gets worse. On the advice of my son (the software engineer) I loaded up a process monitor (Sysutils Procmon)and tried to do the import into PD12. Tons of path not found, buffer too small, name collisions, buffer overflows, illegal calls, name not found, etc. in the system calls. It's ugly to say the least.

At this point I'm just going to pop the $50 and buy the Moyea PPT converter and bring them over as either MP4s or AVIs. That will keep all of the animations and timings intact.

Thanks for all of the help guys.
Thanks for your reply Carl. I'm running PD12 Ultimate (x64), Office 2007 (32 bit) on Win7 home premium x64. For the life of me given the different manners in which we installed (changing the install order, etc..) I can't figure out why this is doing this. PD offers the option to import, shows the files in the import window, and attempts to lad them after giving the blank error window before telling me PowerPoint isn't installed.

I was thinking it might be a problem with Office being 32 bit but if yours works then I have to cast that speculation aside. I've become determined to fix this.
Thank you for the replies. I intend to use the camera in a variety of environments from shooting wildlife outdoors to covering classroom lectures for posting to youtube and websites. Most of the filming will be from a tripod. I presume HD would be the route to go and given the "fun" we've had with the mini discs on the Panasonic I'd like to avoid those. For transfer between the computer and the camera I'm going to be stuck with a USB connection using Win 7x64. I will be playing with chroma key with this rig if that's relevant. Most of what I shoot will be imported into PD and rendered in mp4 1280x720.

I just looked at the canons and there are some neat cameras. Does anyone have the VIXIA HF R52?
My wife (the minister of finance) has allocated me $500 to buy an updated camera to replace our Panasonic VDR-D50P. Does anyone have a recommendation in this price range that would give me my best bang for the buck with PD?
Are the files in .mst format?
Well it appears I am still struggling with Tech support to get any support (my copy came form Newegg which is an authorized reseller however they need further proof up to an including my first born's birth certificate).

I did have my son (a software engineer) come over and we went through the fun of uninstalling and reinstalling both MS Office and PD multiple times. He noted that Powerdirector does an absolutely horrible job of writing registry keys, as he described it "hit or miss". A prime example is how it writes it's exception into windows firewall in which it creates an entry for PD10.exe in the x86 program files directory which is a non-existent file on 64 bit systems. He did go through the registry thoroughly and in his opinion there is an issue with the x64 version making system calls.

I'd like to ask if anyone else is running Windows 7 64 and PD 12 along with what version of office you are running if you have the 64 bit version of the OS.
Thank you for the response guys. I am running PowerPoint 2007 which does .pptx and will open presentations made with 2010 and 2013. I did try a few different .pptx files (including the widescren one Ynotfish attached) with both PowerPoint and PD12 and received the same result: PowerPoint has no problem with them however PD12 still chokes. Carl that first screenshot you attached helps me however as I believe that is what the error message in the blank window should probably state.

For laughs I did try an install the compatibility pack which isn't supposed to be required for Office 2007 or later and received a message while attempting the installation which indicated that it wasn't needed.

I have submitted a trouble ticket to C/S and am curious to see what they come up with.
Maybe someone else has an idea of what I should do now. Here's the problem:

When importing a .pptx PD12 Ultimate pops up with a blank error window. I then click the OK and it acts as though it's loading the file then errors out with "You must have MS PowerPoint installed...". which is.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled powerpoint, PD12, and run all of the updates and still no joy. Anyone have an idea of what to do next?

Go to: