Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Problem saving and retrieving a project
samjunior68 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 28, 2014 06:55 Messages: 17 Offline
[Post New]
Please can someone explain the process for saving an unfinished project and then retrieving it later to continue the editing.
I have asked this question to Cyberlink many times but their answer is totally inadequate.
So, I import an MP4 video. I start the editing process which goes well. I "save project as" in the powerdirector file.
Then later on I open PDR and try to find the project using the import media button but when I try to open it an error window comes up saying the file is broken or unsupported format etc etc. I have been able to open it sometimes by closing PDR, finding the file, double clicking and then it sometimes opens PDR with the project.

I am of the older generation but able to work through most problems, but this is driving me crazy. I haven't found a tutorial which covers this procedure.
Any help will be much appreciated. Easy steps please.

Thanks
Sam
DH Pence [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jun 07, 2014 01:20 Messages: 13 Offline
[Post New]
Sam try it using the open project link listed under the File menu option. Win 7 64 Home Premium on an AMD 1090Tx6 @ 3.2ghz, 16gb of ram, dual 500gb drives, AMD Radeon 770 w/ 1gb.
[Post New]
samjunior68

You should use the option: File / Open Project.
Normally PD12 already opens the folder with the file Salvo project for the last time.
Another option: File / Recent files.
Opens the list of the last saved projects. AMD-FX 8350 / 8GB DDR3
SSD SUV400S37240G / 2-HD WD 1TB
AMD Radeon R9 270 / AOC M2470SWD
Windows 7-64 / PD16 Ultimate
Cranston
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Aug 17, 2007 02:26 Messages: 1667 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Please can someone explain the process for saving an unfinished project and then retrieving it. / I haven't found a tutorial which covers this procedure.

Hi Sam,

In addition to fine help you’ve received above, you also mentioned not being able to find a tutorial.
These 2 tutorials listed below, may not be exactly what you had in mind, but perhaps there’ll be bits in there that may help.
(Note: They were made in PowerDirector10, but the same principle applies to PD12)

- Project Management – [ Saving & Archiving ]
Part 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAOnn8g0C_o
Part 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2CYLYIynB0

(BTW, for what it’s worth, I never open any projects that I have in progress, from within the PowerDirector screen/interface. I prefer (with PD closed) to go any specific project’s working folder, and then open it via a double click on my latest saved .pds file. But… to each his own. Everyone has their own preferred workflow.)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jun 09. 2014 05:29

Click here PDtoots for a collection of PowerDirector Tutorials and Tips
samjunior68 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Cranston. Thank you so much for your reply and your tutorials. The first one especially is a great help and, so far with a couple of test projects, by following your method I am saving and retrieving successfully.
I love PDR 12 but having come to computing later in life problems take a time to get round. Your advice is really helpful.
Hope I can ask you stuff in the future.

Thanks
Sam
Cranston
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Aug 17, 2007 02:26 Messages: 1667 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Sam,

Glad some of it perhaps helped.

Quote: Cranston…Your advice is really helpful. Hope I can ask you stuff in the future.

Never hesitate to ask. There are loads of knowledgeable and helpful folks here on the Community Forums who are more than willing to help.
Or, if you have a Youtube channel account, you can contact the PDtoots channel directly if you wish, via a PM (Private Message).
See our “About” page, and you’ll find that there are currently 7 Community Forum members here, who contribute their tutorials and tips to the PDtoots Tutorials channel.

https://www.youtube.com/user/PDtoots/about

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jun 09. 2014 06:36

Click here PDtoots for a collection of PowerDirector Tutorials and Tips
samjunior68 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks to DH Pence and Playsound as well for your help. Both methods worked for me.

Sam