Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Reccomendaiotns for a camera?
DH Pence [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jun 07, 2014 01:20 Messages: 13 Offline
[Post New]
My wife (the minister of finance) has allocated me $500 to buy an updated camera to replace our Panasonic VDR-D50P. Does anyone have a recommendation in this price range that would give me my best bang for the buck with PD? Win 7 64 Home Premium on an AMD 1090Tx6 @ 3.2ghz, 16gb of ram, dual 500gb drives, AMD Radeon 770 w/ 1gb.
stevek
Senior Contributor Location: Houston, Texas USA Joined: Jan 25, 2011 12:18 Messages: 4663 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: My wife (the minister of finance) has allocated me $500 to buy an updated camera to replace our Panasonic VDR-D50P. Does anyone have a recommendation in this price range that would give me my best bang for the buck with PD?

Well the budget is a start. What types of camcorder do you want after that HD or STD, Memory stick or hard drive or tape. Have you been looking at any that we can start with? .
BoilerPlate: To posters who ask for help -- it is nice to thank the volunteers who try to answer your questions !
Anything I post unless stated with a reference is my personal opinion.
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
I've always been a CANON guy, they have good refurbs from the factory.
http://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/camcorders/consumer-camcorders
The discontinued M40 series is always out of stock because they are so popular and very good quality, but you might find them on Amazon.
Other folks will have vastly different opinions.

You should list the things you'll most likely use it for, that would help. HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
GGRussell [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Jan 08, 2012 11:38 Messages: 709 Offline
[Post New]
Forget any device that uses Firewire if you are using Win 8.1. Although there are firewire drivers available, simply doesn't work with a lot devices including HDV tape camcorders and High-end audio equipment. Intel i7 4770k, 16GB, GTX1060 3GB, Two 240GB SSD, 4TB HD, Sony HDR-TD20V 3D camcorder, Sony SLT-A65VK for still images, Windows 10 Pro, 64bit
Gary Russell -- TN USA
DH Pence [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thank you for the replies. I intend to use the camera in a variety of environments from shooting wildlife outdoors to covering classroom lectures for posting to youtube and websites. Most of the filming will be from a tripod. I presume HD would be the route to go and given the "fun" we've had with the mini discs on the Panasonic I'd like to avoid those. For transfer between the computer and the camera I'm going to be stuck with a USB connection using Win 7x64. I will be playing with chroma key with this rig if that's relevant. Most of what I shoot will be imported into PD and rendered in mp4 1280x720.

I just looked at the canons and there are some neat cameras. Does anyone have the VIXIA HF R52? Win 7 64 Home Premium on an AMD 1090Tx6 @ 3.2ghz, 16gb of ram, dual 500gb drives, AMD Radeon 770 w/ 1gb.
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
I am also a Canon camera fan.

I have HD camcorders and a point and Shoot Camera with movie mode.
VIXIA HF R100
VIXIA HF R300
Canon PowerShot G12

One of the camera's is a refurbished bought from the Canon online store. I am very happy with that purchase.

I recommend cameras that have a Flash memory card for Recording media. Transferring images and Videos is very easy, The cameras can be connected by USB. I prefer a Memory Card Reader.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jun 08. 2014 18:51

Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

stevek
Senior Contributor Location: Houston, Texas USA Joined: Jan 25, 2011 12:18 Messages: 4663 Offline
[Post New]
I saw this on the Crutchfield web site today about how to select a camcorder:

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-V61PAKN6wcS/Learn/learningcenter/home/camcorderintro.html?omnews=12152481

I have a Canon HD tape camcorder. It is Firewire so I hardly ever use it. A Sony 3D camcorder that I use a lot. I bought it refurbished /used from B&H. (If you are in the US) They sell good used stuff and even rate them - a 9+ is almost new. Perhaps taken out of the box for display.

I have been experimenting with a action high definition camcorder built into a set of eyeglasses. It is not Google glass. The camcorder is in the $150 range. These are great for recording indoor events (banquets) and outdoor (playing with my grandchildren) with all the advantages of hands free. The HD video and audio are surprisingly good.

BoilerPlate: To posters who ask for help -- it is nice to thank the volunteers who try to answer your questions !
Anything I post unless stated with a reference is my personal opinion.
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Whatever you choose, Sony, Panasonic, Canon or a cheaper brand, make sure you have:
a) An SD card that is the right capability (read/write).
b) It matches your budget.
c) Your computer is powerful enough (and not the minimum spec) to edit the video footage generated.
d) You seek sample files off the internet to try out - most manufacturers provide a sample, or you can ask another editor.
e) Read what other editors write about the camera but be aware many don't write badly about their purchase!
f) The most expensive camera in the shop might not really suit your needs but you should try it out.
g) HAGGLE - go for 50% of the asking price with your first offer and then ask, what's the best deal.... be prepared to walk towards the door after umming and ahhing... watch the salesman not want to miss a sale

I like haggling

Dafydd
ckatosmith [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: May 28, 2014 11:58 Messages: 24 Offline
[Post New]
Dafydd:

I HATE haggling. Can we pay you a 10% commission to haggle for us?
DH Pence [Avatar]
[Post New]
Well gents based on your recommendations and the research I've been doing I settled on a refurbished Canon Vixia HF R42. The total cost with Fedex 2 day came to around $227 which gives me enough money left over to buy 4 good quality 64gb SDXC cards, another case for the camera, a cheap set of external lights, a greenscreen, a decent external microphone, and other odds and ends and still end up well under budget. That will make the wife very happy

Thanks all for your help and input. It is appreciated. Win 7 64 Home Premium on an AMD 1090Tx6 @ 3.2ghz, 16gb of ram, dual 500gb drives, AMD Radeon 770 w/ 1gb.
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
Go to my site and you'll see my equipment to do video on a budget, lights, mics, etc.
Keep in touch here, loads of good knowledgable people. HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Dafydd:

I HATE haggling. Can we pay you a 10% commission to haggle for us?

I can understand your reluctance to haggle... I enjoy the banter. I have had a lot of experience in haggling type of buying and cutting deals on multiple purchases. Thanks for the offer

Dafydd
LostTarget [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 09, 2008 11:38 Messages: 40 Offline
[Post New]
I just last month purchased a Panasonic Model HC V750. My third video camera purchase.

So far not finding any issues, but you will need a minimum of two batteries for a full days outing (I carry two spares). If you use the camera a lot, spend the money and purchase a stand a lone battery wall charger.

So far have been able to see the LED in all conditions. The touch screen is something that most should not have a problem with.

AVCHD is the default, but you can change to MP4. I shoot in MP4 as I upload to YouTube.

Excellent video and a bit wider picture then past cameras.

Zoom function is a touch better then in what I'm use to. Every once in a while I like to do that slow steady zoom. Hard to do with cameras in this price range.

Excellent level shot function. I normally just use a tripod, but has me thinking of taking more shots by hand. Was pretty amazed the first time I tested it, much better then seen in my past cameras.

The wind is always a factor, but seems to be less with this camera. I've ordered a directional microphone with wind sock, but most may not need to go this route, but almost all of my shooting is done outdoors in open areas and it was time to spend the money, as always have to be thinking of wind when I set up for a shot on a windy day.

A slow motion option that I'm growing to like, but you do have to press a button on the LED when using this function.