Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
No mistake, I'm talking about individual video files. When you import them into PD14 as a group, PD14 sorts them alphabetically (or the order they are stored on my drive anyway). I want them sorted in reverse order on the Blu-Ray, so the newest videos appear first in the list.

I did discover I can drag videos down the list to change the order. Unfortunately, the list doesn't scroll if I need to drag farther down a long list, but I can work around that minor annoyance.

Skipping titles with the chapter button was a different issue.

Your idea for silencing the sports.wma file didn't work for me, as that isn't always the sound file that PD14 defaults to. I still have to manually turn off the background music for every page, instead of a global option to just not use background music.
Thanks Tomasc. I was hoping for simple to change settings, instead of work around hacks, but I'll see if I can use any of your ideas.

As for the order of the titles, it is too much trouble to import 15-20 videos one at a time to get them in the desired order. However, I just discovered I can click and drag the videos in the list to change their order. It's a slow process since the list doesn't scroll when you're dragging, but I can make do with it.
I have several questions regarding the creation of BluRay menu's in PD14:

1. Is there any way to permanently remove the supplied templates? I tried removing them, but they reappear the next time I open PD14.

2. How can I set my own menu template as the default so it is always used for every disc?

3. Is there any way to permanently disable the background music? It always defaults to sports and I have to manually turn it off on every menu page.

4. None of my videos have chapters. Is there any way to make the chapter skip forward/backward jump to the next or previous title instead?

5. Is there any way to change the order of videos on the BluRay. Mine are labeled by date, but I want them in reverse order on the Blu-Ray (newest videos first).

6. Is there a way to predefine the Blu-Ray title? Right now it defaults to "My Videos" and I have to change it for every disc.
Quote: Using shadow files and/or setting the preview resolution to High instead of HD or Full HD and working in non real-time preview (when you need to see the full motion but don't need audio and don't care if it runs slowly) are the standard workarounds for situations like yours where there are lots of adjustments needed.

Unfortunately, any preview above "normal" (which looks terrible) is unusable for me once I start making color adjustments. PD14 stops and jumps constantly during playback. If I'm just editing raw clips (no color changes) I can use "high" preview.

I haven't had much luck with shadow files either, even with PD13. It just takes too long to generate the shadow files, especially if I have several gigabytes of video from a week long vacation or something.

I haven't tried non-real-time yet. I'll give it a try to see if it will work for me.

Right now, I just use "normal" real-time preview. It looks bad, but is usually adequate to see where I need to make cuts and whatnot. Then I get a bit of a present at the end when I see the final produced video in full living color and high resolution.
Jeff,

Yep, I probably have my terminology wrong, I don't use any of the "effects". Just titles, basic transitions (fade mostly), and sometimes color adjustments (with or without the help of ColorDirector).

In any case, the fix/enhance operations (specifically color adjustments) bring the produce time to a crawl, even with an i7-4790K, two SSD drives, and 16GB RAM. Wish there was a way to speed those up.
Yes, I can confirm PD14 does not use hardware acceleration if any effects are applied. If I produce a file with simple titles and transitions the GPU load on my GT750 graphics card averages around 60%-80%. However, if I adjust the color (white balance for instance), GPU load drops below 4%, usually at zero.

I have also noticed this on the timeline. As long as I don't apply any color adjustments, I can set the preview quality to high. If I apply color adjustments, I have to drop the preview quality to normal to prevent stuttering.

I did confirm that PD14 can convert a file faster than any other program I have, thanks to the CPU and GPU working together. Just don't change the colors. A 30 minute clip took nearly four hours to output.

I still find PD14 easier to use and more stable than Pinnacle Studio or Vegas, so I will keep using it. Especially since I just dumped so much cash on the upgrade and a new graphics card.

Hopefully they will improve hardware acceleration in future updates.
My wife and I built our own house in about 5 minutes back in 2003.

http://www.watsondiy.com/2003house.htm
I installed the 347.25 driver. GPU load maxed at 1% and the Video load maxed at 4%. The majority of the time both were still stuck at 0%.

All I can think is the color adjustments with Color Director are all done by the CPU? Makes hardware acceleration kind of useless for all but simple projects.
Quote: Can you attach a pic of your "Produce" tab settings screen.

Here you go, with the custom settings screen open.
Tried again, same results. Why isn't the hardware acceleration working?
OK, I installed GPU-Z and tried producing a small range of my project.

CPU load averaged around 40-50% with the occasional increase to 70% or more.

GPU load was ZERO the entire time.

This seems to confirm that I am not seeing ANY hardware acceleration, even though I have that option selected on the Produce screen. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Anthony
Quote: attach a sample clip so that we can test it.

This is the first project I am working on with PD14, and is over 30GB of source files. Obviously I can't upload those.

I have not had the opportunity to test with a smaller project yet, but I was mostly curious if anyone else was seeing a speed improvement with the hardware acceleration? I am seeing very little difference, if any. I don't know if that's due to my specific project, or if there is an issue with my graphics card. PD14 does let me check hardware acceleration, which would seem to indicate it is supported?
I am working on a project that is about 30 minutes long. Source is 1920x1080x30p MPEG2, output is 1920x1080x30p h.264 MP4. I have many transitions, a few titles, and the entire video is color corrected with Color Director.

Encoding time is 3 hours, 47 minutes without hardware acceleration or 3 hours, 43 minutes with it enabled. I wouldn't exactly call a four minute improvement "accelerated".

I have a brand new GTX750 graphics card. I am currently using the 337.88 driver, but I tried a few different driver versions with similar results. Computer is i7-4790K, 16GIG RAM, two 1TB SSD drives.

So far, I don't see that hardware acceleration really does anything?
Installed the new GTX750 today. No change to the PD14 playback at all. Still stutters on anything higher than "normal" preview quality.

There seems to be something unique about my project though. Even before I upgraded the graphics card I could load the same clip in a new project, add a bunch of transitions, and it would playback perfectly even at the highest preview setting. No idea what is wrong with my main project, since it uses the same source video and transitions.

So, I guess I didn't need the new graphics card. Other than a lighter wallet, no harm done I suppose. Unfortunately, I still have the same stuttering problem.
Quote: So I am really confused now because I did nothing different & made no changes since I went to bed last night, in a state of utter frustration. I started up PD14 & did have some problems opening up my file, had to shutdown PD14 & restart it then everything loaded up fine. Did not change any playback settings & just thought I would try it again. It has worked great every time now, knock of wood.

Funny you should say that. I opened PD14 this morning and no matter how many times I tried I couldn't get it to studder on transitions, even at the highest preview quality settings. Weird, I've been fighting this issue all week. Not sure what's up with that. All I can think is it's something unique to the source files and/or particular project I am working on.

Ironically, I could never get MP4 video to play back smoothly on PD13, but it was playing back perfectly this morning on PD14 at the highest preview quality.

Quote: I won't mention my video card because you guys would think I'm nuts

I'm still using an Asus GT440 "fanless" video card. I don't do ANY gaming so the card has worked very well for me, and best of all it is completely silent. That matters a lot to me, so the card I am upgrading to (Asus GTX-750) is also fanless. Certainly not bleeding edge fast, but hopefully an improvement over what I have now.
I have the same problem with PD14. PD13 worked fine for me. I have a fast computer, 16GB of RAM, and two SSD's. My video card is my weak link, so I'm trying a new video card this week to see if it will improve anything.

For now, the only solution is to drop the preview quality to "normal". It looks bad, but the timeline plays back smoothly.
Quote: As it relates to performance in PD14, after looking at my dxdiag, and because of financial concerns, would I be better off with a new video card, or a solid state drive for Windows?

I cannot get both at this time, so I have to choose, but I'm really looking for a better real-time preview, render times are secondary to me.

I just upgraded to PD14 and have an i7-4790K, 16GB RAM, two SSD drives, and an old GT440 graphics card. When editing HD-MPEG2 video PD14 stops and studders at every transition unless I set the preview quality to "normal" (which looks terrible). Ironically, I never had this problem with PD13, but it doesn't appear to be related to processor speed, available memory, or the drives. I have a new GTX750 graphics card on order so I should know this next week whether that is going to have any effect.
Paul,

Odd that I never had an issue with PD13, but hopefully the new graphics card will help. Won't arrive till next week though.

Anthony
I just upgraded to PD14.

I have an i7-4790K, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, 1TB SSD, and a GT440 video card. Windows 7 (64-bit).

My source video files are regular 1920x1080p @ 32mbps MPEG2 files.

When I play back video on the timeline, PD14 pauses at every transition (fades in my case), then jumps ahead in the next clip. The only way I can get smooth playback is to drop the preview quality to "Normal" (which looks terrible).

I have tried all combinations of shadow files, openCL, and hardware acceleration with no change in playback behavior.

I tried reverting to the older 337.88 Nvideo video driver. No change in playback behavior.

I had no problems with HD preview quality on PD13, but it is unusable on PD14.

I just ordered a new GT750 video card to see if it will have any effect, but am curious if anyone else has experienced this and if there is any way to solve it.

Thanks!

Anthony
Quote: What you've found is exactly what happens here. Once white balance has been adjusted and applied to all, it interferes with future colour changes that are applied to all. I repeated the procedure going through ColorDirector and got different results.

It doesn't fix the problem, but I'm happy to hear someone else can duplicate my results.

I don't have ColorDirector, so that's not an option for me.

I went through each clip and adjusted the color settings individually. Kind of a pain, but it got the job done.
Go to: