Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Hardware Acceleration?
MountainSoftware [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 02, 2013 12:05 Messages: 32 Offline
[Post New]
I am working on a project that is about 30 minutes long. Source is 1920x1080x30p MPEG2, output is 1920x1080x30p h.264 MP4. I have many transitions, a few titles, and the entire video is color corrected with Color Director.

Encoding time is 3 hours, 47 minutes without hardware acceleration or 3 hours, 43 minutes with it enabled. I wouldn't exactly call a four minute improvement "accelerated".

I have a brand new GTX750 graphics card. I am currently using the 337.88 driver, but I tried a few different driver versions with similar results. Computer is i7-4790K, 16GIG RAM, two 1TB SSD drives.

So far, I don't see that hardware acceleration really does anything? Anthony Watson
www.mountainsoftware.com
www.watsondiy.com
PepsiMan
Senior Contributor Location: Clarksville, TN Joined: Dec 29, 2010 01:20 Messages: 1054 Offline
[Post New]
Quote:

I am working on a project that is about 30 minutes long. Source is 1920x1080x30p MPEG2, output is 1920x1080x30p h.264 MP4. I have many transitions, a few titles, and the entire video is color corrected with Color Director.

Encoding time is 3 hours, 47 minutes without hardware acceleration or 3 hours, 43 minutes with it enabled. I wouldn't exactly call a four minute improvement "accelerated"...

well, if you want to put that way at least attach a sample clip so that we can test it.

Quote:

I have a brand new GTX750 graphics card. I am currently using the 337.88 driver...

if you look at my signature then you know i have GTX 750Ti with 347.25 driver...

so give us some video clip.

PepsiMan 'no bridge too far'

Yashica Electro 8 LD-6 Super 8mm
Asrock TaiChi X470, AMD R7 2700X, W7P 64, MSI GTX1060 6GB, Corsair 16GB/RAM
Dell XPS L702X i7-2860QM, W7P / W10P 64, Intel HD3000/nVidia GT 550M 1GB, Micron 16GB/RAM
Samsung Galaxy Note3/NX1
[Post New]
Quote: attach a sample clip so that we can test it.

This is the first project I am working on with PD14, and is over 30GB of source files. Obviously I can't upload those.

I have not had the opportunity to test with a smaller project yet, but I was mostly curious if anyone else was seeing a speed improvement with the hardware acceleration? I am seeing very little difference, if any. I don't know if that's due to my specific project, or if there is an issue with my graphics card. PD14 does let me check hardware acceleration, which would seem to indicate it is supported? Anthony Watson
www.mountainsoftware.com
www.watsondiy.com
[Post New]
The issue was discussed here too... At some point, especially with faster CPU's, there is another bottleneck in the software (latencies?) and it cannot utilize more of the GPU. The multithreads don't scale good past a certain point.

Slower CPU's cannot "hit" that bottleneck, so in their case the HA is still making a difference.

To test, run GPU-Z and Windows's Resource or Performance manager (depending of what Windows you have) while rendering. You will see that neither GPU or CPU are maximized in usage (load), the SSD is used at super slow speed (basically a laptop HDD would do just fine for that speed), memory doesn't get loaded more than 2-3GB...

Don't know, I was hoping that Windows 10 will solve the thread latency of GPU... but sotware needs to be rewritten to take advantage of that.

More about this:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/directx/archive/2014/03/20/directx-12.aspx

DirectX11 versus DirectX12 GPU latencies:

This message was edited 8 times. Last update was at Sep 26. 2015 00:46

[Post New]
OK, I installed GPU-Z and tried producing a small range of my project.

CPU load averaged around 40-50% with the occasional increase to 70% or more.

GPU load was ZERO the entire time.

This seems to confirm that I am not seeing ANY hardware acceleration, even though I have that option selected on the Produce screen. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Anthony Anthony Watson
www.mountainsoftware.com
www.watsondiy.com
[Post New]
Hmm, zero on all the GPU sensors? Video Engine Load would be the hardware decoder/encoder.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 26. 2015 13:13

[Post New]
Tried again, same results. Why isn't the hardware acceleration working?
[Thumb - encoding.jpg]
 Filename
encoding.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
191 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
142 time(s)
Anthony Watson
www.mountainsoftware.com
www.watsondiy.com
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Can you attach a pic of your "Produce" tab settings screen. For the pic of GPU load and PD backgound you attached somethings not consistent with producing to output of 1920x1080x30p h.264 MP4 as stated in OP. Filesize way to large at 101.1MB for 29 seconds, that would appear to be a different "Produce" profile, maybe one that does not support HA on Nvidia GTX750.

Jeff
[Post New]
Quote: Can you attach a pic of your "Produce" tab settings screen.

Here you go, with the custom settings screen open.
[Thumb - settings1.jpg]
 Filename
settings1.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
174 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
137 time(s)
Anthony Watson
www.mountainsoftware.com
www.watsondiy.com
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks, that helps alot. Filesize was because of modified bitrate, that make sense now and also allowed me to mimic. With that 337.88 driver and my GTX650 I had the same issue when color of the clip was modified as shown in attahced pic. If I updated the driver to 347.25 and used the same custom profile with color adjustment to the clip, Video Engine now functional.

Jeff
[Thumb - 347_25 with color.png]
 Filename
347_25 with color.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
260 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
124 time(s)
[Thumb - 337_88 with color.png]
 Filename
337_88 with color.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
265 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
137 time(s)
[Post New]
I installed the 347.25 driver. GPU load maxed at 1% and the Video load maxed at 4%. The majority of the time both were still stuck at 0%.

All I can think is the color adjustments with Color Director are all done by the CPU? Makes hardware acceleration kind of useless for all but simple projects. Anthony Watson
www.mountainsoftware.com
www.watsondiy.com
JL_JL [Avatar]
[Post New]
Yes, color adjustments in PD (and/or Color Director) are all done by CPU, you can still have either the CPU or GPU do the encode though. But yes, the color adjustment will slow things down considerably, 3-5x common from what I've seen. Not sure why you see the behavior you do with no VCE load.

To improve you CPU encode time a little bit you can set hardware decode in pref > Hardware Acceleration and then the GPU will be used to decode which will unload the CPU a little bit for encoding. Or at least it should be used. Only beneficial if source video can be decoded by GPU. In your case since MPEG2 Nvidia GPU can decode.

Maybe someone with a real GTX750 can replicate.

Jeff