Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Tony,

Watching the slide show with, and without motion was definitely a graphic representation to me of the "art of over-exaggeration!" How-ever, there's no art involved, just a little ignorance on my part. Thanks again, for having put that little slideshow together and sending it to YT for viewing. For now on, most of my editing in PhotoDirector will be manual, except in certain cases. I noticed, however, that applying motion to images with a lot of mass (i.e. people and objects) are not necessarily affected, even those that have quite a bit of sharpening in them. It's mainly those images like trees and grass that don't stand up to motion application very well. Because I still have lots to learn in this particular department, I plan to do a lot of experimentation in both PhotoDirector 5 and PowerDirector 12 to firmly establish my parameters.

Sincerely,

medlgl
Wow, Tony!! You went the extra mile for me on this one and I can't thank you enough! The concept of using over-exaggerated presets makes total sense to me. I guess it has its place if you're going to use such images in a benign environment, but not in movie making! Anyway, this eve I will have a chance to view the clips you put together to get an idea of what my image could have looked like with proper (and not over-exaggerated) editing. You have me in a large learning curve here and I thank you mucho! I will be back in touch

Kind regards,

medlgl
Carl, as per your instructions, the resolution for the uploaded photo (and all the others) is 240 dpi (both horizontal & vertical). When producing the movie, I had shadow files unchecked and preview quality on its lowest definition (as per info from previous forum research for this problem). If there's anything else you need, please feel free to ask.

Thanks again, Carl, for your intervention in my behalf.

medlgl ("Lon")
Hmmmmm! Thanks, Tony!! It's sure worth a try. Meanwhile, I will be sending an original image (forest scene) with its original resolution

I was also thinking, worse case scenario, I could go back and reset all of the affected images and just produce them w/o the panning and zooming. Ugh! Resorting to that procedure, though, would be disappointing because applying motion to stills is an important component of producing a highly effective slide show. But first, I will follow yours and Carl's instructions.

Thanks again for your valuable input!

medlgl
Thanks, Carl, for your rapid response. I will be getting the info and one of the original images to you posthaste.

Sincerely,
Medlgl
After enhancing still images on PhotoDirector 5 (mainly using presets), and after importing enhanced stills into PowerDirector 12 and making my movie, and then rendering it as an MPEG-2, using the following format: DVD HQ 720x480/60i (8Mbps), and after burning to a standard DVD disk, I found the stills to be littered with what appeared to be extreme pixilation that shimmered with panning and zooming... especially in the forest landscape images. It was so bad that it totally wrecked my presentation.

How do I either avoid or eliminate all the moving, shimmering debris (pixilation??)? Do I need to select another production format? The images were taken with an HD phone camera. Thanks, in advance for your help!!

Sincerely,

Medlgl
I have been trying to figure out how to place a text box in a dialog template, but with zippo success! Is there a way to it? I haven't been able to locate a text box activator of any kind within the dialog template module. Interestingly, I can't fathom the purpose of a dialog template without there being a way to load it with text.

Anyone's assistance is definitely appreciated.

Sincerely,

medlgl
Adrian, it worked like a charm!! Thanks again!!

medlgl
Thanks, Adrian, for the fast reply. I will go ahead and unlink the audio from the video and try employing your instructions. It sounds as if it just may work.

Thanks a million,

medlgl
In PowerDirector 12's Theme Designer, can the background music be faded out? If so, how?

Thanks in advance for your direction.

medlgl
You definitely have my condolences! With all the problems I have had with the bug-infested PD 11 over the past two months (on a brand new multi-media computer), I simply cannot trust their PD 12 upgrade! Additionally, there's something really wrong with having to upgrade for an additional charge to purchase a product to do what PD 11 was supposed to do!

I too, have gone on to another brand of video editing software. I am through with CyberLink!!

[frustrated] medlgl

PS In all fairness, I hope that CyberLink can take this issue seriously and put their most important resource, their customers, before profits. I hope they eventually work out the bugs (and, in all good conscience, refund the $$ that we all paid for a product they marketed as being viable video editing software, namely PowerDirector 11. CyberLink has my support with this issue but my movie-making endeavors need to continue without distractions, hence, it's onward and forward with another brand of software! I would hope CyberLink would begin releasing beta versions before finalizing the official release of their video editing software. Then, and only then, will they be listening to their customers!
POSTSCRIPT FOR KEVIN: Kevin, I cracked up when you inadvertently changed my profile name from "medlgl" (which is the abbreviation for "med-legal") to "MADlgl." That handle is almost worthy of changing my profile to!! Ha!

PS (At least, I think if was inadvertent?!&*)
Part 2 of 2

Kevin, I misunderstood one of your questions. Regarding my hardware acceleration setting, I had it disabled during the entire movie-making process.

Regarding the steps I followed when making my movie: After making my successful production copy, I entered the create disc area and configured my settings (including burning to file and not to disc). Since I was planning on burning the movie to DVD, I chose to make a 2D movie (MPEG-2), HD (best quality), w/2-channel Dolby sound. It began authoring normally but stopped spontaneously after only 3% of completion. This occurred twice before I ceased my efforts and asked for help.

At this time, I will begin following your instructions to create a new movie project and proceed as outlined in your message. I will get back to you after I know the outcome.

Thanks again, Kevin, for the instructions (and newly-found hope) that I will be able to resolve this issue and get on with making successful movies.

Sincerely,
medlgl
Thanks for the clarification, Kevin. I am new to the forum so I guess I was the one that was confused. But, I appreciate the info submitted by the other contributors (as well as yourself).

Okay, so yes, I employed a menu and chapters because the movie begged for one. I will remedy that by excluding the menu (and chapters??) during my re-make of the movie. As far as saving the hardware acceleration of the movie, what do I need to do to find if I did or not? (DISCLAMER: I did mention that I'm a bit ignorant of some of the finer details of the movie-making process... lol).

Basically, when making the movie, I pretty much did the following: I set up a working file containing my workflow on my C-drive. I added each image/video clip, one by one, to the timeline. I also added music to the timeline pretty much simultaneously. After inserting a reasonable quantity of images/video clips to the timeline (6-10), I would go back and add my motion (panning and zooming), my transitions, and my titles. Next, I would add my special effects (only to a select number of images/video clips). I also added some special effects, and possibly a few titles, at the time I did a final review of the movie just before making my production copy. So, there you have it. I hope I haven't inadvertently let out any steps.

I know there was additional info you asked me for but I can't refer back to your message without first closing this window. So, I will go ahead and submit this to you and then check for additional info that you may have asked for. If there's more, I will send you an additional message. Thanks again, Kevin, for your timely suggestions.

Sincerely,

medlgl

Jim, that's good news that you have not personally identified any transitions or special effects causing conflicts in your movie-making experiences. PD 11's transitions, and especially the comprehensive special effects, are truly awesome and I would hate to think we can't use them because they are preempting the functionality of the software.

Thanks for your interest in the frustrating issues I am currently having with DVD authoring. I have pretty much thrown up my hands and am hoping for some light and knowledge from the experienced senior contributors on the forum (or anyone else that can help me).

Sincerely,
medlgl
Wow, Chris!! I know that most of the versions of PD are configured to insert individual smaller projects to the timeline and then author and burn to DVD as a single movie. I am really hoping for some relief with these issues on the forum. We'll see if someone can shed some light on it.
I have produced a 58-minute movie using PD 11 Ultimate Suite (latest build). Right up front, I should tell you that I was totally impressed with all the many great features PD 11 has to offer! After I rendered the movie to file, I have attempted numerous times to author the movie to burn it to DVD. However, it always stops authoring at around 3% of completion (97% not completed), in spite of having made a successful production copy of the movie. I have been working with CyberLink Support for a month now, following their various instructions, including deletion of temp files and general junk on my C-drive. Nothing has worked. So, I have this great movie that I would like to transfer to DVD and distribute amongst my family members, but can't.

I have reviewed numerous comments made by various forum members, and considering their comments in their totality, I am coming away with the thought that PD 11 is just too buggy to do its job. Am I correct in saying this? Forum members are talking about making second-rate movies by leaving out transitions or special effects. They are also saying that in order to burn the movie, one must download a third-party image burner (because PD 11 is incapable of burning the movie??). If I could get past the authoring issue, I would do anything, including downloading a third-party image burner, to get my movie on to DVD's.

One of my questions concerns the ultimate state of PD 11 Ultra software... will the bugs ever get worked out so we can completely produce and burn movies without becoming prey to the onslaught of bugs in the software? Another question I have is, when the next version of PD is released (v.12?), will we have to upgrade to get software that will do the job we paid for with PD 11?

I have attached a new dxdiag file to this message so you can take a look at my computer stats. I have a new multi-media computer that "should" be capable of handling PD 11's demands. I would be most interested to know if my DVD authoring/burning issues are being caused by my computer vs. a problem with the software. If you need more data from my computer, I will be happy to submit whatever you need. (I might have to ask you how to obtain certain kinds of data from my computer because I only know enough to be dangerous.) lol

Thanks, in advance, for your time and thoughtful concern.

Sincerely,

medlgl
Thanks, Jamie. I will continue to await other potential replies. But, your credibility as a senior contributor on this site will help me to feel better about this issue should I not receive any additional replies from others having had experience with this issue.

Sincerely,
medlgl
I just finished making a 58-minute movie using PD 11 Ult. Suite. During a final review of the movie before producing it, I found that my Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 shot some video clips at 29.97 fps, and others (most) at 59.94 fps. I also have some other video contributors in my movie, who shot their videos at 24 fps.

I tried changing my PD- 11 settings (frames per second) to NTSC 60 (it was defaulted at 30 fps), in order to cover the videos shot at 59.94 fps; however, the setting always went back to 30 fps on its own. My question is if this is going to be a problem when it comes time to produce, or author, or burn the DVD; and/or if this will negatively affect the video's performance when playing on a TV set (at 30 fps).

Because my ignorance has gotten the best of me with this issue, I look forward to getting the benefit of someone else's experience with this issue.

Sincerely,

"medlgl"
TruBlu, I guess misery loves company, as they say! Thanks for sharing your frustrations with me; it helps me to know that I'm not being singled out by the PD 11 troll. I have been working with CyberLink Support and the guy that's assisting me now seems to be committed... much more committed than the guy before him! At least, the present tech is examining my attachments and coming back with reasonable instructions for me to try. It's definitely not an exact science and I realize that new releases (i.e. PD 11) will have bugs that will need to be exterminated, right? So, on with the fight! Let me know if you ever reach a satisfactory level of stabilization with your version of PD.

Sincerely,

Medlgl
Go to: