Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Extreme Pixelation of still images??
medlgl [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 07, 2013 14:40 Messages: 23 Offline
[Post New]
After enhancing still images on PhotoDirector 5 (mainly using presets), and after importing enhanced stills into PowerDirector 12 and making my movie, and then rendering it as an MPEG-2, using the following format: DVD HQ 720x480/60i (8Mbps), and after burning to a standard DVD disk, I found the stills to be littered with what appeared to be extreme pixilation that shimmered with panning and zooming... especially in the forest landscape images. It was so bad that it totally wrecked my presentation.

How do I either avoid or eliminate all the moving, shimmering debris (pixilation??)? Do I need to select another production format? The images were taken with an HD phone camera. Thanks, in advance for your help!!

Sincerely,

Medlgl
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: How do I either avoid or eliminate all the moving, shimmering debris (pixilation??)? Do I need to select another production format? The images were taken with an HD phone camera. Thanks, in advance for your help!!

What is the resolution of the original images?

Can you attach one of the original images (a forest scene)?

Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

medlgl [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks, Carl, for your rapid response. I will be getting the info and one of the original images to you posthaste.

Sincerely,
Medlgl
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi medlgl -

Seriously, whatever you do, you'll be struggling to get decent image quality out of your photos when you produce to DVD quality... especially with motion applied.

Try producing the same video/slideshow to MPEG-4 1920x1080 16MBps & see what you get.

Cheers - Tony

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 08. 2014 04:49

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
medlgl [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hmmmmm! Thanks, Tony!! It's sure worth a try. Meanwhile, I will be sending an original image (forest scene) with its original resolution

I was also thinking, worse case scenario, I could go back and reset all of the affected images and just produce them w/o the panning and zooming. Ugh! Resorting to that procedure, though, would be disappointing because applying motion to stills is an important component of producing a highly effective slide show. But first, I will follow yours and Carl's instructions.

Thanks again for your valuable input!

medlgl
medlgl [Avatar]
[Post New]
Carl, as per your instructions, the resolution for the uploaded photo (and all the others) is 240 dpi (both horizontal & vertical). When producing the movie, I had shadow files unchecked and preview quality on its lowest definition (as per info from previous forum research for this problem). If there's anything else you need, please feel free to ask.

Thanks again, Carl, for your intervention in my behalf.

medlgl ("Lon")
[Thumb - YM Excursion 2014-17.jpg]
 Filename
YM Excursion 2014-17.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
13339 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
49 time(s)
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi again -

The reason Carl requested a "forest scene" is that the repeated leaf patterns tend to exaggerate any shimmering or pixelation. That's compounded by applying motion & compounded further by producing to DVD quality.

Back at the root, when you adjusted the photos in PhotoDirector, I'd suggest that the photo has been over-sharpened by the preset you applied. That makes the pixelation worse.

Using presets in PhD is OK, but (unless you flick to Manual to check the settings) you can't be sure what adjustment levels have been used. Some of the presets found on DirectorZone are quite extreme - to the point of being a bit ridiculous.

There's a good chance that - without such heavy sharpening - you'd be able to produce a decent motion slideshow.

I took your photo & mixed it with some straight off one of my cameras (no adjustments applied) and popped them in a slideshow. Produced to AVC H.264 4K & Full HD - it looks OK - http://youtu.be/7gYwb1UkyrE

I wasn't able to upload the MPEG-2 DVD HQ version to YouTube, but it was terrible! Mid motion, your photo looked like (partial screen shot)...

You can download the DVD quality slideshow (same as the one on YT but produced to MPEG-2 DVD HQ) here - http://www.mediafire.com/watch/e37ddbnbubef42d/SS_DVD.mpg

Cheers - Tony
[Thumb - SnapShot(16).png]
 Filename
SnapShot(16).png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
420 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
440 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 08. 2014 20:05

medlgl [Avatar]
[Post New]
Wow, Tony!! You went the extra mile for me on this one and I can't thank you enough! The concept of using over-exaggerated presets makes total sense to me. I guess it has its place if you're going to use such images in a benign environment, but not in movie making! Anyway, this eve I will have a chance to view the clips you put together to get an idea of what my image could have looked like with proper (and not over-exaggerated) editing. You have me in a large learning curve here and I thank you mucho! I will be back in touch

Kind regards,

medlgl
medlgl [Avatar]
[Post New]
Tony,

Watching the slide show with, and without motion was definitely a graphic representation to me of the "art of over-exaggeration!" How-ever, there's no art involved, just a little ignorance on my part. Thanks again, for having put that little slideshow together and sending it to YT for viewing. For now on, most of my editing in PhotoDirector will be manual, except in certain cases. I noticed, however, that applying motion to images with a lot of mass (i.e. people and objects) are not necessarily affected, even those that have quite a bit of sharpening in them. It's mainly those images like trees and grass that don't stand up to motion application very well. Because I still have lots to learn in this particular department, I plan to do a lot of experimentation in both PhotoDirector 5 and PowerDirector 12 to firmly establish my parameters.

Sincerely,

medlgl
ynotfish
[Post New]
Hi medlgl -

You're very welcome.

There are some cases when "less is best" - whether you're adjusting photos or applying motion.

In these screenshots of Motion Designer, the settings on the left are less likely to cause shimmering/pixelation because there's less motion. Those on the right will probably cause shimmering because the motion is more extreme. Starting position is blue. Ending position is green.

The same applies to photo adjustment. I could easily make that grass close-up shimmer by over-sharpening or increasing clarity or contrast too much.

There's nothing wrong with using presets - it's just that the defaults tend to be "overdone" (in my view).

Cheers - Tony
[Thumb - Motion KF.png]
 Filename
Motion KF.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
426 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
453 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 10. 2014 15:41