Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
DVD Authoring/Burning Issues
medlgl [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 07, 2013 14:40 Messages: 23 Offline
[Post New]
I have produced a 58-minute movie using PD 11 Ultimate Suite (latest build). Right up front, I should tell you that I was totally impressed with all the many great features PD 11 has to offer! After I rendered the movie to file, I have attempted numerous times to author the movie to burn it to DVD. However, it always stops authoring at around 3% of completion (97% not completed), in spite of having made a successful production copy of the movie. I have been working with CyberLink Support for a month now, following their various instructions, including deletion of temp files and general junk on my C-drive. Nothing has worked. So, I have this great movie that I would like to transfer to DVD and distribute amongst my family members, but can't.

I have reviewed numerous comments made by various forum members, and considering their comments in their totality, I am coming away with the thought that PD 11 is just too buggy to do its job. Am I correct in saying this? Forum members are talking about making second-rate movies by leaving out transitions or special effects. They are also saying that in order to burn the movie, one must download a third-party image burner (because PD 11 is incapable of burning the movie??). If I could get past the authoring issue, I would do anything, including downloading a third-party image burner, to get my movie on to DVD's.

One of my questions concerns the ultimate state of PD 11 Ultra software... will the bugs ever get worked out so we can completely produce and burn movies without becoming prey to the onslaught of bugs in the software? Another question I have is, when the next version of PD is released (v.12?), will we have to upgrade to get software that will do the job we paid for with PD 11?

I have attached a new dxdiag file to this message so you can take a look at my computer stats. I have a new multi-media computer that "should" be capable of handling PD 11's demands. I would be most interested to know if my DVD authoring/burning issues are being caused by my computer vs. a problem with the software. If you need more data from my computer, I will be happy to submit whatever you need. (I might have to ask you how to obtain certain kinds of data from my computer because I only know enough to be dangerous.) lol

Thanks, in advance, for your time and thoughtful concern.

Sincerely,

medlgl
 Filename
DxDiag.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
38 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
308 time(s)
Chris Tayler [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Melbourne Australia Joined: Sep 07, 2011 02:34 Messages: 42 Offline
[Post New]
I also have to say this is one of the poorest areas in PD11-
I enjoy the creativity and editing side - and have been using the product since pd7 but - burning I now tend not to go there

point in case I finished 3 short videos 40 minutes (700 mb) each so lets make a DVD drop first movie in to the authoring tool shows 2.5 gb fiddle around with all the settings but cant get the three movies on one DVD - okay back to time line add the three movies to time line add chapters back to authoring and get a worse result...
I tired this three times from clean start to back to back efforts - no change
Because the project is oversized cant burn to hard drive even

took the files to another tool and burnt the DVD - it took 2.5GB of 4.7

Chris Tayler
taylerchris@gmail.com

My Work
http://youtu.be/IBwkyXLGdUw
http://youtu.be/6qspu0oDp8U
http://youtu.be/7qvuQ4zXxII
http://youtu.be/lZqWQfcn_PQ
medlgl [Avatar]
[Post New]
Wow, Chris!! I know that most of the versions of PD are configured to insert individual smaller projects to the timeline and then author and burn to DVD as a single movie. I am really hoping for some relief with these issues on the forum. We'll see if someone can shed some light on it.
Chris Tayler [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Melbourne Australia Joined: Sep 07, 2011 02:34 Messages: 42 Offline
[Post New]
That said (and maybe some one can shed light) - I have tried many other products and find that PD is really great, fairly stable, and performs well this is the area that does let it down but there are plenty of free DVD burning tools out there.
I have shown some of my work and the feature list to a very knowledgeable TV producer - and given the price and features he is very impressed .
Chris Tayler
taylerchris@gmail.com

My Work
http://youtu.be/IBwkyXLGdUw
http://youtu.be/6qspu0oDp8U
http://youtu.be/7qvuQ4zXxII
http://youtu.be/lZqWQfcn_PQ
Cap'n Kevin
Senior Contributor Location: Chebeague Island, Maine Joined: Dec 26, 2008 20:22 Messages: 2011 Offline
[Post New]
Just curious:

Did you edit your movie on the timeline and then go to the Create Disc module an this is where it failed?

It sounds from your description that you were able to
Produce a movie file successfully. Yes?

Try starting a new project and then going directly to the Create Disc module. Then select the "content" tab and select the "import additional videos" button, found directly below the content tab. Browse for your video file that you made earlier from your project.

For a test select "no menu" from the "menu preferences".

Then select the 2D disc tab and select the DVD Video button. Set up the audio and video settings. Then select the "burn in 2D" button.

See if this method burns your DVD successfully.

Kevin

Check out PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials and more! Over 5,000 Subscribers.
James1
Senior Contributor Location: Surrey, B.C., Canada Joined: Jun 10, 2010 16:20 Messages: 1783 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,
Ok here is my interpretation of the events you have created 3 productions at 40 minutes each, then gone to create disc and went from there (right). then you mentioned the sizes and that you were using a single layer DVD 4.7 GB., now depending on the create button whether you use MPEG-2 (standard DVd) and the resolution you produce your 3 projects a 4.7 DVD only hold 45 minutes movie 'give or take' power director probably use smart fit which results in poorer quality. Try using a Doubl layer DVD it holds 8.7 GB and no need for smart fit. Either use PowerDirector to burn to disk or burn to folder and use a separate DVD burn software.
Jim Intel i7-2600@3.4Gz Geforce 560ti-1GB Graphic accelerator, windows 7 Premium 12GB memory

Visit GranPapa64's channel for your YouTube experience of the day!
[Post New]
Kevin & James1... Based on your comments and suggestions, it sounds as if you were specifically addressing Chris Tayler's issues (which are a bit different than mine). Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Sincerely,
medlgl
James1
Senior Contributor Location: Surrey, B.C., Canada Joined: Jun 10, 2010 16:20 Messages: 1783 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,
That is what happens when another member relates problems they have into another original posters thread. One answer does not address both problems and as volunteers here some of the solutions may identify one scenario and not the other. I use PD11 as a personal past time and just convey my findings (based on my errors and success'). I have produced a few personal DVD incorporating various effects and transition with few problems. I do all my own backgrounds, PiP objects etc. and my own DVD menus from scratch, output to 2D and 3D format and have had no complaints form the program.

Jim Intel i7-2600@3.4Gz Geforce 560ti-1GB Graphic accelerator, windows 7 Premium 12GB memory

Visit GranPapa64's channel for your YouTube experience of the day!
Cap'n Kevin
Senior Contributor Location: Chebeague Island, Maine Joined: Dec 26, 2008 20:22 Messages: 2011 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Kevin & James1... Based on your comments and suggestions, it sounds as if you were specifically addressing Chris Tayler's issues (which are a bit different than mine). Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Sincerely,
medlgl

No I was specifically addressing your issue that you posted. I wasn't addressing anyone else's questions but yours. So I wasn't the least bit confused by the other people posting.

You produced a 58 minute movie. I was curious to know the exact steps you took using PD11 to create a DVD that ultimately failed. Can you tell me all the steps you took to create your DVD?

I outlined the steps that I would take to import your movie into the create disc area in my previous post above. If you used the same method that I outlined then we can try an alternate method.

And, did you use a menu when you set up your DVD before authoring? I had suggested, as a test that you select "no menu".

And one other question. Did you have the "hardware acceleration" enabled in the burn to disc?

Kevin

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Aug 26. 2013 12:09

medlgl [Avatar]
[Post New]
Jim, that's good news that you have not personally identified any transitions or special effects causing conflicts in your movie-making experiences. PD 11's transitions, and especially the comprehensive special effects, are truly awesome and I would hate to think we can't use them because they are preempting the functionality of the software.

Thanks for your interest in the frustrating issues I am currently having with DVD authoring. I have pretty much thrown up my hands and am hoping for some light and knowledge from the experienced senior contributors on the forum (or anyone else that can help me).

Sincerely,
medlgl
medlgl [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks for the clarification, Kevin. I am new to the forum so I guess I was the one that was confused. But, I appreciate the info submitted by the other contributors (as well as yourself).

Okay, so yes, I employed a menu and chapters because the movie begged for one. I will remedy that by excluding the menu (and chapters??) during my re-make of the movie. As far as saving the hardware acceleration of the movie, what do I need to do to find if I did or not? (DISCLAMER: I did mention that I'm a bit ignorant of some of the finer details of the movie-making process... lol).

Basically, when making the movie, I pretty much did the following: I set up a working file containing my workflow on my C-drive. I added each image/video clip, one by one, to the timeline. I also added music to the timeline pretty much simultaneously. After inserting a reasonable quantity of images/video clips to the timeline (6-10), I would go back and add my motion (panning and zooming), my transitions, and my titles. Next, I would add my special effects (only to a select number of images/video clips). I also added some special effects, and possibly a few titles, at the time I did a final review of the movie just before making my production copy. So, there you have it. I hope I haven't inadvertently let out any steps.

I know there was additional info you asked me for but I can't refer back to your message without first closing this window. So, I will go ahead and submit this to you and then check for additional info that you may have asked for. If there's more, I will send you an additional message. Thanks again, Kevin, for your timely suggestions.

Sincerely,

medlgl

Cap'n Kevin
[Post New]
Thanks Madlgl,

Excellent information and very helpful.

Now I just want to make sure that we define "making the movie", and are on the same page.

When you finished your editing on the timeline, have you gone to the "produce" tab yet and selected the MPG-2 file type using the DVD HQ profile type? Did you produce your project to a movie file only yet?

I just want to make sure that we are talkin about the same thing. I want you to produce your project into a playable MPG-2 HIgh Quality movie file successfully first.

Do you know how to this? This is the next step I want you to take.

Kevin

medlgl [Avatar]
[Post New]
Part 2 of 2

Kevin, I misunderstood one of your questions. Regarding my hardware acceleration setting, I had it disabled during the entire movie-making process.

Regarding the steps I followed when making my movie: After making my successful production copy, I entered the create disc area and configured my settings (including burning to file and not to disc). Since I was planning on burning the movie to DVD, I chose to make a 2D movie (MPEG-2), HD (best quality), w/2-channel Dolby sound. It began authoring normally but stopped spontaneously after only 3% of completion. This occurred twice before I ceased my efforts and asked for help.

At this time, I will begin following your instructions to create a new movie project and proceed as outlined in your message. I will get back to you after I know the outcome.

Thanks again, Kevin, for the instructions (and newly-found hope) that I will be able to resolve this issue and get on with making successful movies.

Sincerely,
medlgl
medlgl [Avatar]
[Post New]
POSTSCRIPT FOR KEVIN: Kevin, I cracked up when you inadvertently changed my profile name from "medlgl" (which is the abbreviation for "med-legal") to "MADlgl." That handle is almost worthy of changing my profile to!! Ha!

PS (At least, I think if was inadvertent?!&*)
Cap'n Kevin
[Post New]
Quote: POSTSCRIPT FOR KEVIN: Kevin, I cracked up when you inadvertently changed my profile name from "medlgl" (which is the abbreviation for "med-legal") to "MADlgl." That handle is almost worthy of changing my profile to!! Ha!

PS (At least, I think if was inadvertent?!&*)

Haha! Yes totally inadvertent. Typing on my phone trying to get you through this and misspelled your name. Sorry about that!

My point that I am trying to make here though is to have youse a MPG-2 playable file by using the PRODUCE tab, not the CREATE DISC tab. Hopefully when you have your project open it will produce a video file successfully.

Kevin