Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Hi Tom -

You've been on exactly the right track! At least, that's the only way I could think of to achieve it.

You're right - there's an issue with the particle animation when you start trying to manipulate timing. Best to just stagger the starting points and leave the duration the same for each title. That's what's been done in that demo video. The titles' start & finish times are staggered.

Here's the packed project (zipped) I built trying to replicate it. Each title is staggered by 20 frames on a 30fps timeline.

Cheers - Tony
I agree with that thinking, optodata, & you sure can see a marked difference (especially in still frames) between (a) original, (b) produced file & (c) on YouTube.

It's a compromise.

My little test rendering the 2.7K clips to UHD/4K only showed me there was no point, though I've heard it oft-repeated. Here's the 2.7K version on Vimeo... I don't think it's any better undecided

We can all see the pixelation & artefacts, especially in the fast movement. Try recording & rendering at 60fps & see if YT handles it better.

Here are some comparison screenshots. I won't insult you by highlighting the messy bits:

PDR18 snapshot (UHD Preview)

YouTube 2.7K upload

YouTube UHD upload

Vimeo 2.7K upload

Cheers - Tony
Hi Shatnershairpiece -

I've been following along. optodata & others have given you the right advice about using Profile Analyser to maximise quality.

optodata - yes - the GoPro 7 Black records in everything from 24fps to 120fps in 2.7K/16:9 mode, so that would definitely be an option worth exploring to minimise any motion blur... i.e. record at a higher framerate. That would probably improve IQ of the pavement/vegetation as you're wizzing past.

Here, using your seawall clip, watching the original & produced file side by side on a 4K monitor, it's hard to spot much difference. As others have pointed out, PDR matches properties very closely. Side-by-side Media Info is attached.

I've read (too) that rendering to 4K from 2.7K for YouTube is a preferred option for some GoPro users. Apparently it "forces YouTube to use a higher quality Codec which delivers far better results". I've never given it much weight but I tried it with your seawall clip.

Here's the version rendered in 2.7K using Profile Analyser. Here's the produced to UHD 3840x2160 to test the above (can't remember why I disabled the audio). I'll upload both to Vimeo, which is generally a better option.

Personally, I wouldn't be too disappointed with the quality but you'd have younger eyes than me!

Nice video, though I could have lived without the "duelling ailments" part in the store. Cool ebike anyway!

Cheers - Tony
Hi tpd -

The first thing to do is know the properties of your recorded video, & the easiest way to that is to use MediaInfo.

In PDR's Produce module, if you use Profile Analyser (screenshot attached) you'll get a suggested format/profile to use that closely matches your original video.

If you need to modify that profile, just click on the + button.

In the attached example, you'll see the MediaInfo reports for the original video, the profile suggested by Profile Analyser & my modifed version (just changed the audio to LPCM to match the original).

Cheers - Tony
Hi all -

Here's the combined screen capture (delay caused by repeated self-inflicted glitches), showing the difference between PDR18 & PDR17 when using particular clips. Here, the issue is obvious both in preview & in the produced file... with occasional exceptions to preview/timeline playback.

As posted above, PDR18 has no issues editing or playing back these clips... until they're overlapped or transitioned. I draw no conclusions except that there's something wrong!

Attached are the MediaInfo reports for the clips used in the screen captures.

Cheers - Tony
Hear! Hear!

I've just finished a series of screen captures, showing exactly that... although I didn't get up to the "fix" stage.

I mentioned earlier that I hadn't been able to replicate the issue Jeff posted, but I wasn't using .m2ts clips with the same audio format.

I've replicated the same issue Jeff described with other .mts clips from Canon XA20 (same audio codec).

My next step was to be the one you took (re-encoding), but I think that would be superfluous now.

I'll post the screen capture when I stick it together.

Cheers - Tony
Thanks optodata!

I've downloaded them now. I'll put them to the test...

Cheers - Tony
Sorry, I don't have a guess to offer you. Jeff is far more knowledgable & experienced in these things.

I do know that, over many years, PDR has thrown up these sorts of audio issues from time to time. In many cases they can be replicated but in some cases not. Sometimes, the particular clips or the PC setup might be factors.

I'd have preferred to do the tests using your clips, but you must have removed them from OneDrive.

Cheers - Tony
Hi Jeff -

Since you posted that PDR17/18 comparison I've been trying to replicate the audio glitch in production, but I've faile dismally. I've used various clips from different cameras, all overlapped & keyframed in a similar way. See attached screenshot.

I haven't been able to generate that flat spot you showed. Admittedly, I wasn't using the sample clips newfielander provided.

Not doubting your observation at all - just can't replicate it here.

Cheers - Tony
Hi All -

The most recent Saloon background music has been put to the test on TessTing's YouTube channel.

Just as with the previous group, not a single track was flagged for copyright infringement.

Cheers - Tony
Hi Gary -

Whoa! That's a weird one.

It's definitely not a product of having multiple versions installed, or I'd have it here. It's also not a universal issue with PDR. There's something gone amuck with your set-up (evidenced by the fact that it was OK before, then it suddenly started spitting out surprises)... but I don't have a clue what it might be.

To clarify, when you're doing your Freeze Frame, you:

1. Place the timeline marker/scrubber at the desired point

2. Right click on the video & select Edit Video > Freeze Frame

Is that right?

Cheers - Tony

P.S. I won't muddy the waters by posting what I just noticed about snapshots & freeze frames in PDR18, as it's not related to Gary's issue.
Hi Esmeweatherwax -

Is there something faulty with the program?

I have the same options here, whether Lightning/Lightning 2 is applied directly to the clip or added to the FX track. Is it possible you've inserted a different effect?

Cheers - Tony
There are 10 tracks in the Easy Listening background music pack. TessTing has put them all on YouTube to check the copyright triggers...

Not a single track was flagged. Zero. None at all.

Cheers - Tony
Hi sriversage -

Maybe I'm not understanding exactly what you're trying to do, but if you want simple straight lines expanding like these...

... you can easily do that using keyframed colour boards. In the video description there are download links from DirectorZone. They're set to 10 secs, so it's best to set that in preferences before inserting or you'll need to do some keyframe reworking.

If you want more complex lines, Steven's suggestion is best.

Cheers - Tony
G'day Fig -

Just as PDM posted, there's no way to add text directly to that Versus 3 Video Overlay.

You need to add the text in a higher numbered track so it sits on top of the animation.

Here's a little title template I just made that (reasonably) matches the animation of Versus 3 (shown above).

Cheers - Tony
G'day Michael -

You're using the CyberLink Application Manager, yes? That's the only way I know to download updates, packs & music for the subscription version of PDR.

From your description, it sounds like you're trying to download diectly from the CL website.

Cheers - Tony
Hi Indi Ka -

If you generated the slideshow using one of the templates in Slideshow Designer, you cannot edit the transitions. You can customise the image order etc, but not transitions.

The only way to do that is to build the slideshow manually.

Cheers - Tony
Hi 650V2 -

The statement "Power Director can of course import and edit footage from Gopro cameras, as well as from other action cameras from the likes of Sony, Kodak and Ion." indicates only that the clips can be imported & edited. It doesn't refer to whether they can be imported directly from the camera.

This may or may not be related to what we're seeing...

In attempting to import directly from the GoPro (no card reader), PDR sees the file location as This PC\HERO7 BLACK\GoPro MTP Client Disk Volume\DCIM\100GOPRO, but using the SD card in a card reader, PDR sees E:\DCIM\100GOPRO undecided ???

tomasc - I only ever use GoPro Quik for updating camera firmware. Effectively it transfers the clips to the PC anyway.

650VC - in any case, if you don't transfer the clips to your PC the camera/SD card would need to remain connected during your editing sessions.

Cheers - Tony
Well, there you go...

I plugged the Hero5 Black into the PC via USB, opened PDR & went to import files... navigated to HERO5 Black > GoPro MTP Client Disk Volume, selected the clips... clicked Open.

Nothing happened "frown"

I tried dragging the clips from the GoPro5 directly into the Media Library... nothing happened.

Got the same results with GoPro7 Black too.

After copying the clips to my HDD, they imported without any issue.

Sorry - being a flop rather than a phobe, I can't offer you any explanation for that. "embarassed"

Cheers - Tony
Hi 650V2 -

66 year old technoflop here laughing

Why not transfer the GoPro clips to your hard drive before importing into PDR? I know you're a phobe & I'm a flop, but that makes more sense to me.

Hang on - I'll test each of the methods you've mentioned.

Cheers - Tony
Hi Clark -

optodata's right about the subtlety of shadows & lack of adjustment options. Shadows are more noticeable in lighter areas of the video or when lighting changes occur.

My preference for subtitles is typically to use white text with black borders, & usually with the font bolded (or a naturally bold font style).

In the attached (100% view) image, the top example has no shadow (only border) and the bottom two have a shadow added.

Cheers - Tony
Go to: