Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Hi all,

Thanks to everyone for making excellent and interesting comments. Now the title of my post is very clear, but still I have a doubt: CL plans to continue releasing updates to PD9?

Regards,
Nicolas
Quote: I have a Windows 64 system with 8Gb of memory and I am getting crashes from build 3305 since I did the update 2 days ago. The product is now un-useable. The previous version was stable. Can someone tell me where I can download the previous version?
CL have release 3305 with a time bomb on purpoce, so you have now to change to PD10. Bye Bye Pd9.. Lol
3D version of PD9 with some makeups
On System Requirements in the CPU Processor.... http://www.cyberlink.com/products/powerdirector/requirements_en_US.html says "PowerDirector 9 is optimized for CPUs with". It should say "PowerDirector 10 is optimized for CPUs". CL at least have been kind enough to make a new technical description of the new PD10 and not a copy of the old PD9
On September 16, CL launched the new Patch 3305 for PD9 and nearly a month later, announces the release of PD10. Who needs 3D capability right now edition? Maybe for video professionals and filmmakers, is great news, but for those of us, who make personal movies, family and work, it tells us nothing (for now). Maybe in a few years, when all have 3D TVs and 3D format is standard on all cameras, but for now I do not think that is better than PD9.

This time I agree with FredB (http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/19400.page#101774 ), shame on you! CL. As you may come to market a new version, do not even have solved some of the current problems PD9?

On the other hand, we may lose our rights if we managed to use PD10 upgrade (Ref. http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/15/19400.page#101847)

From the fact that there is now PD10, no further updates will be for PD9?

Regards,
Nicolas
My opinion is not relevant, but...

You guys have to realize that PD is most a video editor and not an audio editor. Your are trying to use PD to create a Video Clip basis, what is not design for. With PD you can make simple audio sync, but not precise sync like a Cakewalk or Pro tool’s can do starting from and audio and sync the video. In PD you have to expand your time line in frames to do so, and that’s not a very friendly way to sync a video clip. Also, PD waveform graphics it’s not designed for that. In others audio software programs, you have a perfect audio waveform graphics to sync. So do not expect so much from the audio features of PD.
Quote: ..when I scrub the timeline forwards or backwards PD9 freezes for at least 8 seconds...

What do you mean with "scrub" the time line? zooming, scrolling ? Please be more specific.
Hello,

Since PD only supports one subtitles track, I decided to create a 3 languages subtitle project (English, Spanish and Hungarian) using CROMA KEY., but I don’t know why, the final subtitles have a flickering effect in the final burned media. This is what I did:

1. ENGLISH SUBTITLE
1.1 My home made movie/audio project in track 1 (A)
1.2 Add and sync subtitles in English
1.3 Delete movie on track 1 and insert a blue background using “color board” on track1 with the same length of the movie.
1.4 Produce a HD MPG file (B). Result a blue screen with English subtitles.
1.5 Create a new project with the movie (A) on track 1 and subtitles MPG file (B) on track 2
1.6 Double click track 2 and set CROMA KEY for the blue background.
1.7 Produce a final English subtitled HD MPG movie file (C)

2. SPANISH SUBTITLE
Repeat steps 1.1 to 1.7 using Spanish subtitles in step 1.2. Final result= Spanish subtitled HD MPG movie file (D)

3. HUNGARIAN SUBTITLE
Repeat steps 1.1 to 1.7 using Hungarian subtitles in step 1.2. Final result= Hungarian subtitled HD MPG movie file (E)

4. BLU RAY/DVD creation
4.1 Create new project with file (A)
4.2 Go to CREATE DISC and add files (D) and (E) in the menu, so you can select what movie want to play (English, Spanish or Hungarian).
4.3 Burn.

BLU RAY and DVD work's great and you can read each movie with the corresponding language, but the subtitles text flickers some times. It's not something that bothers a lot. The others do not notice it unless you are told to. One designer notices immediately. I think as are letters, PD defects in CROMA KEY are more visible.

Does anybody else have experiment using croma key with text?

Chears
Nicolas
I think that before you rush so fast, you should read the FK manual a bit and soak up how PD works. If you say you see "My Title" out there, some where in your frames, it means that where in the "Title Room" and insert a title. Take a break, take it easy and give us some of your steps.. step by step description on what are you are doing, and we can then help you.
Come following this topic, but like you, I am puzzled what it says Mitch and creepy all the answers. I think that we all are complicating our life with this. If it were simply a matter of switching an image, it would be solved. But neither knows what he wants. I think its not a PD issue.
I do not know if you, but this week I created a 2h40m film for blu ray and 2xDVD and I came across an inaccuracy greater than in previous versions.

Abstract:

DVD
Project length: 2h42m
PD Estimated Size: ~ 10.8gb
Real final size: ~ 7.62gb
PD Difference: 3.18gb
PD Error: 41.73%

BLURAY
Project length: 2h42m
PD Estimated Size: ~ 22.8gb
Real final size: ~ 16.2gb
PD Difference: 6.6gb
PD Error: 40.74%

Comments:
The frustrating detail is, for the DVD, I needed to know in how many parts I had to cut the project so it could fit in 4.7gb type DVD's. Seeing that PD said (10.8gb), I should divide the project into three parts. But lie. I lost my job. It happen to fit on two DVDs, so I had to split the project in only two parts. For Bluray, I had no problems, no matter the error, it fit in a single BD disc.

Suggestions:
Please CL pay attention to disc summary and emphasize this to be more precise in future versions, since this problem has been dragging on for many versions.
Thanks Xerox, most reasonable procedure.

Would be nice if future versions of the EP, has a time selector FROM / TO on produce /create rooms.

Regards
I think one solution would be to produce that portion of the project that contains the alpha channel, then insert it back into the project and do the respective transitions that you need.
Some of you know how to produce only a portion of a project, without having to delete what is before or after in the timeline?
Chapters:

Supose you have 20 chapters and you have to edit the time of only one clip in the timeline: All chapters are going out of sync and also all your saved chapters thumbnail work dissapears. You have to to all the job again.That is disapointing.

- As PD doesnt tie a chapter point to the start of a clip, so at least, let user select some or all chapter(s) in the chapter track or chapter room, so user can drag/move it.
..but if you could just shift the time codes of all the subtitles on the timeline..

You are right: "if you could, but PD dont". By the other hand, the subtitles time format is HH:MM:SS,000 for most ST files and editors, and PD use only frame timecode format (HH:MM:SS:FF). So another suggestion is to add the capability to select the time format from frame, to time SMPTE, like in the create room.
Do you tried to drag 1500 subtitles at the same time?. Its a night mare. If on the other hand, I also use my own program to synchronize and edit the SRT files, but PD should have this simple capability.
Fixed:

I was unable to use PD9 MKV files, so I had to move heaven and earth to edit them in PS. Use another program to extract and convert the video channel in HD720p H264 MPG to 29.97fps (no problem to go from 23.976 to 29.97). Then I extracted the AC3 audio channel and pass it to MP3 and AC3 (PD does not read AC3 directly).

PD9 is definitely an excellent video editor and producer,...
however, leaves much to be desired about subtitle editing, audio channels and disc authoring..

Suppose you want to create a 1 hour film, with different languages, subtitles and audio types. PD just can't.

Subtitle Room:
Suppose you put about 1200 lines of subtitles and want to drag them on the timeline. Does someone has tried to select them all? Take aprox. one second each (approx. 1200 seg) and be careful in not mistake your mouse pointer, because you would need to start all over.

- Just like with colored boards, where you can modify the duration with a single window, it should be a single window that allows move/drag the subtitles backward or forward.
- Allow to place more than one subtitle track, to do so in several languages (that also affects the Menu Room)
Perhaps the response time in handling large subtitles can be improve, by managing the data of the subtitle as a separate file (as a SRT file) and place it within the XLS project because, while there are more subtitles, delete or edit becomes complicated.

Audio:
PD is not an audio editor, for that, there is other applications, but:

- The simulated Dolby 5.1, is a delusion. The solution is simple: Insert the 5 channels in the timeline.
- Allow the selection of what audio you want to hear. This is also related to the Menu Room.

Menu Room:

- Directly related to the subtitle tracks would be the option to select them independently. (Not just the option ON / OFF)
- In addition to scenes (chapters), allow the ability to incorporate other videos already produced, for example to see backstge scenes or something like that.
- Put the capacity of selecting the audio that you want.

I know there are many other programs that can do all this, but being an excellent PD editor, not content with just that.

Regards,
Nicolas
Hello Carl,
it's been a while since the last time coming through here...

Thanks for answering and reviewing PD9 technical information. We are clear about the size and frame rate drops and lost quality that can occur, but I think that's not my problem.

The problem I find when you import video files encoded in AVC (specifically V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC codec). They look good in DivX player and Windows Media player, but PD9 fails or miss to read it. I think it has nothing to do with FPS and I'll explain why:

The same video converted to .AVI, with the same 23,976 fps, but encoded as MPEG-4 Visual, works great in PD9.

Insist that the problem is with V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC , and I mean the AVC codec only and not the MKV files (which is just a container).

I use MKVextractorGUI to extract the H264 video file and convert in M2TS 23.976 fps.. and also failed in PD9, of cource, that MT2S files also have the V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC codec.

I think that CL should emphasize a little more on the AVC codec. I'm all ears for suggestions.
I have some 23fps AVC movie clips, that DivX plays perfect; also Windows Media. Importing to PD9 its ok, but you can watch frames lost and pauses erratical in the preview (in media room and in timeline). Attach is the mediinfo file of one example clip. Any ideas?
Go to: