Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Thanks Carl.

I assume by 'closer to the wedding' you mean closer to the bride, groom and vicar. I had considered that, but the cameras would then be somewhat intrusive. They will be behind and either side of the vicar pointing towards each of the couple and towards the guests. The shots are supposed to be of each of the couple when they speak. Having the cameras closer would make them more obvious which I don't what them be. They are also having a wedding photographer taking stills. I may be using these in a montage during the signing of the register, where I don't have a video camera.

Thank you both for your comments. They're much appreciated.

Edit:

Tomasc, your post came in while I was messaging this. I will certainly look into this. Thank you.

Matt
Hatti, unfortunately, some of us don't have the extra cash to spend on anything and everything we would want. I would rather give her a low quality video than have the baliffs at the door. She DOES understand.

Thanks for your comments.

Matt
Thanks Hatti.

Using any other camera is, unfortunately, not an option. The dashcams that I'll be using are actually reasonable quality. Their native res is 1080p and the quality of the full picture is just as good as (if not better than) the main camera. However there are two problems. The full view will be too wide for the shots of the couple, and it fisheyes to some extent at the edges. If I need a full wide angle, I can all but eliminate the fisheye, but the pixilation with the zoom is the problem.

Now. If I can't eliminate the pixilation from the zoomed view, is there a way to ADD pixilation to the non-zoomed view to make it similar to the zoomed view. This would make it less distracting - i.e. all of the film would then be pixilated rather than just the odd shots. In other words, make the good stuff bad, so the bad stuff doesn't look so bad.

Matt
Thank you. On anther forum I was effectively told to butt out, that only one question was allowed on each thread.

Anyway. The system I'm using is actually PD14, but the search brought up this thread as a suggestion so I hope you don't mind me using it. It maybe useful to other users. It may be that PD16 has some feature, or that the info helps.

I'm setting some cameras up to film my daughter's wedding in a few weeks time. Two of them are dashcams, which I want to zoom in on to get the framing I like. (Not the best idea, I know, but the most cost effective.) However, when I do so, the pixels are more visible, obviously. This I was expecting, but I was hoping that there might be a way of reducing the noticable pixilation, such as is often done when zooming in to a photo on some image editors. The edges are sofened without making the image itself less clearer. I recognise the difference between the systems and assume the same thing exactly would not work, but was hoping something similar might be available.

The video is taken at 1080p (there will be a manned camera that will stay at 1080p) and the dashcams will be cropped down to around, but not necessarily exactly, 50% (200% zoom), around 400-600p.

Matt
Hi,

Am I permitted to ask a related question here? I don't want to jump in before CM120884 has had a chance to have his/her question answered.

Matt
Hi,

At the suggestion of someone on another thread, I have some suggestions.

1. Timeshifting a clip. The ability to shift the timing of a clip within its start and end positions. I.e. scroll the clip without having to move the clip's start and end points. This caused a lot of confusion in the thread I started http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/62692.page , so I thought I'd produce a video to help explain. See attached.

2. Hold 'Primary 2D and Secondary 2D Display' setting. When this is set, a second monitor shows the preview. But this setting does not hold when PDR14 (at least) is restarted. It reverts to 'Off'.

3. Temp suspend previous project loading. The ability to load the previous project is useful, and can be turned off. However, what might be useful is the ability to load PDR without loading the previous. Some of my projects can take a minute or more to load, which is not a problem. But sometimes, when I just want to do a little something else on PDR I have to wait for it to load, then click 'New'. If I know that the previous project is a long loader, then having the ability to load PDR without the previous would be quite good - say opening it whilst holding the shift/ctrl key. Or perhaps the ability to 'excape' whilst it is loading the previous - instantly reverting to a 'New' state.

Incidentally, I like GhostDancer's suggestion re: merging projects and loading produced videos back in. These have always be a (small) bane for me, too.

Thanks

Matt
Thanks both of you for your replies, and I appologise that I hae not been clear.

Both of you are right and wrong in your interpretation of my post.

What I mean is not the shifting of the clip along timeline. Longedge, your initial interpretation of my post is correct. Shadowman, I will try to demonstate that it could be done.

Take a look at the image. The cropped 'Kite Surfing' clip is positioned on the timeline. The clip shown begins at 10:01 (should have been 10:00 but my finger slipped and I didn't realise ) and ends at 14:00. The actual clip is just the middle 4 second segment of the whole clip. Now what I'm suggesting might be a good idea (the question of whether it's possible seems academic, now) is to be able to grab the centre of the shown clip and scroll it left or right within the fixed time frame of 10:01 - 14:00, upto its maximum drag of the extent of the original clip. That is, if you dragged it far enough to the right, you would end up with the displayed clip showing the first 4 seconds of the original full clip, but still with the start and stop positions the same. It is true that inserting a full clip into the timeline would leave no room to adjust the position. Just as it would be impossible to lengthen the clip further than its original length. But just as a shortened clip can be lengthened, so this ability could be used to adjust the clip where a cropped clip was used.

I can appreciate that it looks very unlikely that PDR14 does this, but I still think it might be a good attribute for PDR, just like 'squashing' the clip by grabing the edge with the shift key is.

Thank you for your patence.

Matt
Thanks Tomasc.

Thanks Longedge. I had considered doing that for a couple of other queries, but I see at the moment that they're now taking suggestions for version 17! I only on 14 (purchased last year) and I'm not sure I wanted to upgrade at all, anyway - although, I suppose it might help someone else in the future. I will consider your suggestion. Thank you.

Matt
Hi ynotfish,

Thanks for your reply.

It's difficult to give a screenshot example of a scenario that doesn't exist - as far as I'm aware. You're right in that I'm (hopefully) not describing time 'compression'. Time shifting (my definition) is simply shifting the clip/point-frame left or right to align with the audio track. Your suggestion 1. is one of the ways that I achieve what I want. However, it still requires movement and/or cropping of the clip before and after the adjustment. What might be useful (to me at least) is the ability to grab hold of the middle of the clip (with say the Shift key held down) and, rather than moving the entire clip left or right, it 'scrolls' the clip within the clip's set boundaries.

If I'm still not making sense, I'll try to rig up some graphic.

Matt
Hi All,

Here's an interesting one (for me at least). I'm sure the answer is going to be negative, but I'd be interested in any comments.

Much of my editing involves correctly aligning a video with a master soundtrack. This, I'm guessing is not unusual. This is often done after all the clips are positioned. I carefully move through the film and minutely adjust the position of any out-of-sync clips. Unfortunately, the only way I can find to do this is to pull one or other end of the clip in slightly, adjust the clip position until sync'd and then extend both sides to original positions. Sometimes it's a single clip on an independant channel, so repositioning the edges exactly as before is quite dificult without taking notes on them.

If you hover over the selected clip you get the 'hand' to move it; if you hover over the edge, you get the double arrow to adjust the start/end position; if you hold the shift and hover over the edge you are able to adjust the speed of the clip. However, there doesn't seem to be a way of 'timeshifting' the clip, leaving the start and end positions the same.

Or is there?

If this doesn't make sense, let me know.

Matt
Hi Shadowman,

Thanks for your reply.

This all makes sense, but the setting doesn't hold. I follow the instructions, simple as they are, but when PDR is restarted, the setting is reset to 'Off'. I can't get it to hold to the setting I want. All other settings seem to hold. Just not this one.

Can you (or anyone else) try on yours and tell me if you can get the setting to hold after restarting PDR, please?

Matt
Hi,

Has anyone come up with a conclusion to why PDR14 sometimes crashes/freezes after a film/range is produced?

Just to recap on my own problem (and others seem to have had similar, if memory serves), producing the film/range works fine - and is accessible afterwards, but PDR14 crashes/freezes when the 'Edit' button is pressed. Either I have to then break out through Windows or close PDR before even trying to return to the edit window.

Matt
Hi,

Because I like to expand the timeline (heightwise) as far as I can to include as many channels as possible, the viewer is consequently reduced in size. Up until now I've been undocking this, moving it to my second monitor and expanding it to full screen. I have to do this every time I open PDR, which is a (mild) irritation. (Nothing wrong with PDR, just that I have to do it each time.) However, I have recently remembered the dual preview setting in Preferences. Clicking on, 'Primary 2D and Secondary 2D Display' setting, I got the preview on the second monitor. Brilliant! I thought. Unfortunately, the preference does not hold. If I close PDR down and reopen, this setting has reverted back to 'Off'. If I need the display set as I wanted it, I have to redo this each time I open PDR. Not much of a difference to undocking, etc.

Any suggestions?

Matt
Hi tomb18,

Maybe someone will correct me, but this seems to be Shadow File processing. If you've got shadow files enabled, then the preview will be of a lower quality than the 1080 of the the original (although the image you've supplied seems to be poorer quality than the normal Full HD you've set it to, I think it max's to 720 if memory serves).

Unless you're sure that this is not the issue, then there are two things to note: 1, the 'Produced' film will be taken from the original footage, not the previewed one; 2, you could turn off the shaddow files to preview at the full res (Preferences/General/Enable HD video processing).

If anything here is incorrect, I'm sure someone will advise.

Matt
Hi,

I'm sure I've seen somewhere the ability to stop PDR14 automatically importing the newly produce film into the media content box. When I produce a film and then return to edit mode (when it doesn't crash) the newly created film appears in the media content box. I do not remember this ever being usful to me (although it may be to others), so it would be nice to be able to turn it off. I've looked through the settings but I can't find a switch.

Matt
Thanks Robert,

A DSLR style was one route I did look down, as the versatility was good, but I was really looking for something a little more 'pro camcorder'. However, I think the format and features I'm looking for seem to start at £1,500 up, which is a little too pricy for me. I think I need to reevaluate my thinking - unless there are any more ideas.

But thanks for your comments. I will definitely keep them in mind.

Matt
Thanks GrandmaOkanagan1, it's nice to hear from you. Looks like you're relatively new, so welcome to the forums. I'm relatively new myself.

Matt
Thanks Hatti,

I'll look into those.

Matt
Again, this isn't a PDR14 issue, but I can't seem to find a forum section that deals with general stuff. (Is there? and I've just missed seeing it?)

Most of my films have be recorded on amature camcorders (£120 - £250) none of which have easy manual focus, zoom and iris. But I now want to shift up a gear. Has anyone got any suggestions for a mid-range(?) pro-camcorder - in the range of £800 (or would that be classed a bottom). I would prefer it to be 4K but if it produces good quality images, then 1080 will be fine. I guess some of you who have become more proficient at film making will have been up the rungs of the ladder and will know the best and worst of the equipment. Could I possibly pick your experienced brains? Any information will be grately received.

Matt

PS. and if there isn't a 'General Thoughts' forum section for items that are not directly linked to any of the other forums, is it possible to have one?
Hi Tony,

Thanks for your reply.

How could I have missed that?! I searched high and low on PDR and DZ for one - and there it is, and it's even called 'Time Stamp'. Obviously unable to see what's right in front of my eyes. Not the best qualifications for a camera man and editor.

However, it was actually interesting to work out how to do the multiple overlays needed to accomplish the result I had.

Thanks again for your responce.

Matt
Hi,

As I didn't get a responce, I thought I'd produce my own.

The image shows the format of a short 10 minute 25 FPS clip. It has a green board background that can be chroma keyed out, and the image can be scaled and placed wherever. I'm happy to share this, but I'm not sure how to - and the WMV file is low quality and 21MB (though, quite good enough for a small size overlay). I can probably produce a 30 FPS version if anyone's interested. I also have a 3hr version, but that's 380MB.

Matt

PS if this is completely worthless to everyone, can you let me know as well - just out of interest.
Go to: