Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Video quality becomes poor when dragged into timeline. (not preview issue!)
tomb18 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 09, 2016 20:07 Messages: 5 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,

I have a few videos I took using the screen recorder utility from PowerDirector. Each video is pristene when looked at individually or in the preview window. They are flawless.

However, the minute they are dragged to the timeline the quality becomes very bad. All previews are set to the maximum quality. This poor quality persists right through production.

The original videos are 1920x1080 HD and output is set as MP4, H.264 MPEG4 1920x1080/30p but it doesn't really matter. All of them are exactly as they look in the preview no matter what the output format I take.

This happened occasionally in the past but I cannot find any way to fix this.

Any suggestions please?

Windows 10 64bit.

Core i7 6850

32 gig ram

1TB SSD with 800gB free.

nVideo 1080 at 4k 30fps.
[Thumb - Capture-bad.JPG]
 Filename
Capture-bad.JPG
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
88 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
41 time(s)
[Thumb - Capture-good.JPG]
 Filename
Capture-good.JPG
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
123 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
37 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jun 03. 2017 23:38

tomb18 [Avatar]
[Post New]
I uploaded an example screen capture of the video out of the timeline and one from the preview when it is in the timeline.

All previews are set to Full HD quality. In fact if I lower it, it is almost unviewable.

The videos captured with the Screen recorder are MP4 H.264 AVC, 29.97 fps, main profile interlaced.

Now this\ is strange.

I reopened the project shortly after writting the above and now even the previews of the clips outside the timeline look like garbage when played in the preview. They look perfectly fine in a standard video player.

7 hours straight on this today...
tomb18 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote I uploaded an example screen capture of the video out of the timeline and one from the preview when it is in the timeline.

All previews are set to Full HD quality. In fact if I lower it, it is almost unviewable.

The videos captured with the Screen recorder are MP4 H.264 AVC, 29.97 fps, main profile interlaced.

Now this\ is strange.

I reopened the project shortly after writting the above and now even the previews of the clips outside the timeline look like garbage when played in the preview. They look perfectly fine in a standard video player.

7 hours straight on this today...

I remember that two years ago I had the same issues and all that could solve it is was upgrading to the new release. Well it seems to me now that this is happening again, that perhaps trhis is built into the software.
MattC [Avatar]
Member Joined: Jun 03, 2016 12:12 Messages: 102 Offline
[Post New]
Hi tomb18,

Maybe someone will correct me, but this seems to be Shadow File processing. If you've got shadow files enabled, then the preview will be of a lower quality than the 1080 of the the original (although the image you've supplied seems to be poorer quality than the normal Full HD you've set it to, I think it max's to 720 if memory serves).

Unless you're sure that this is not the issue, then there are two things to note: 1, the 'Produced' film will be taken from the original footage, not the previewed one; 2, you could turn off the shaddow files to preview at the full res (Preferences/General/Enable HD video processing).

If anything here is incorrect, I'm sure someone will advise.

Matt .
PDR14; Win10-x64; i7-6700; 3.4GHz; 16GB RAM; plenty of HDD space; AMD Radeon R5 330.
tomb18 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi, Thanks but it's not that.

I have to reiterate that the Produced video is also looking just as bad.

So today I started the project over. I took one screen recoded video amd brought it into the timeline. This recorded video is the same one as before.

I then produced it. Perfect.

I then went and copied my titles and moved them in to my new project. Produced it. Perfect.

Yet the old project was junk. I tried re-producing the old project with all the same files, same output setup...garbage.

So I figured that there is something wrong in the project.

However, I have to add a new video to the project. Identical to the previous ones in that I use the capture. Did the capture, video is perfect on it's own, import it into my project, add it to the timeline and did the produce.

Well %$$...All the first clips are fine but when it gets to the latest one it's garbage again.

Now if I create a new project and add this new clip I also get garbage on production...

Like I say, Cyberlink probably does this on purpose...
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi tomb18 -

I can't yet see the cause/reason for your issue, but I'm fairly sure that CL doesn't do it on purpose.

Projects can get corrupted at times & starting over may correct it. It's probably best to try to isolate the issue, rather than building conspiracy theories laughing

What you'd expect is that, with your timeline preview resolution set at FullHD (that's 1920x1080), what you see in the Media Library would be equivalent to what you see in the timeline, in PQ terms... like this

So - what happens when you start a new project and import the attached image? With your timeline preview set to FullHD, is what you see from the media library equivalent in PQ to your timeline preview?

Cheers - Tony
[Thumb - Yaesu FT DX3000 1080.png]
 Filename
Yaesu FT DX3000 1080.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
2057 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
33 time(s)

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
tomb18 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Yes, conspiracy theory... the way I felt this is the least...

In any case, I have solved this at least this time.

It seems that even though the screen capture video looks perfect sometimes when it is imported into the timeline, it will never turn out well in the preview or produced movie.

Even though it worked the second time I created a new project and did everything over, the moment I imported a new clip it would give garbage at the end for that clip.

So something is slightly flaky somewhere in the captured clips.

So I set my monitor to 1920x1080, down from the 4K resolution it was set at and thend captured another screen recoding. This one worked fine. So I assume there is something not quite right with the screen recording utility.

All is now well.
Thanks for your efforts.
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
I'm glad you have it resolved to your satisfaction.

You may have partially answered your own question by switching the display resolution back to 1920x1080 before recording... though with my monitor set to 3840x2160 & using CL Screen Recorder, I'm unable to replicate the same loss in PQ.

CL Screen Recorder is equipped to record FullHD, but not UHD. It's only with the lastyest version of Camtasia that UHD screen capture has become available, so I doubt that CL's freebie will follow suit. With previous versions of Camtasia, I always had to switch my monitor back to 1920x1080 to get the best quality recording & result.

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!