Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Thanks Optodata.
I did that. Nothing is showing and no keyframes appear.

I tried a little experiment and revisited a mask I had created from scratch and both the mask and keyframes are visible. Do you think it is because I was trying to edit an express project that in some way hides what was done?

Quote I nothing is selected in the Mask Designer, including the blue X, you'd need to scroll down to see which one is currently selected:

Optodata,
Thanks for replying.
I was taking one of the express projects and trying to modify it. When I changed the length of a clip I noticed a black bar appearing and realised that a mask was in place. I think it would be a nice feature to see on the timeline that a mask has been applied, just as you can see a filter has been applied. However, even knowing that there is a mask and opening the designer it is still not obvious what is going on. I expected the mask to be highlighted so that I can see what is being applied but what catches the eye is the cross (sorry, blue not red) and nothing is highlighted. There are no key frames showing in the preview window. In my case I was going to widen the mask after some time to remove the black bar but I can't see what is going on.

As I say, when creating a new mask it is pretty straightforward but everything seems to be hidden when I come back to it. Screenshot is attached of the clip with a mask and nothing is highlighted..

Quote I'm not sure I understand the description of what's happening.

It's true that PD doesn't indicate that a mask is present on any particular timeline clip, and that double clicking on it will bring up the PiP Designer, which won't allow you to edit the mask; but when you select a clip and open the Mask Designer, the mask is available for resizing or removal/replacement with a different mask.

Are you creating a custom mask, or using one of the pre-defined ones? Are you wanting to edit the shape of the mask, and not simply reposition and/or resize it?

I'm also not familiar with the "red X" you're referring to that deletes the mask. Here's a screenshot of the Mask Designer after I've re-opened it and changed the mask. Everything is fully selectable:

It would definitely help if you could take a screenshot of what you're seeing, then use the forum's Attachments button to share it here. The button is located below the text box, and looks like this:

It would be even more helpful if you could make a screen recording and uploaded it to YouTube, then posted the link here. That would show us exactly what you're doing when you're trying to edit the mask.
I know how to create masks. Jowever, when it doesn't quite work, how can I edit it? When I look at a masked clip on the timeline it doesn't show that a mask exists (as far as I can see). Same for when I double click it or click on mask designer. When I click on mask designer and click the red X the mask disappears but I don't see what the mask is beforehand and cannot see its properties to change them. Am I doing something wrong?
Quote ..to do with using these MOV files instead of my old AVI files. If I play them from explorer they play just fine. When I play them in a PD16 timeline there is about a 1 second delay before the sound kicks in which is the effect I am getting with my cross fades. I still have no idea what to do.

Try renaming them with .avi in end. Otherwise they might need to be converterd before working with them.

You have to be kidding me! It is as simple as that. I thought I'd have to convert all my files but renaming seems to do the trick. I can't believe it!

Thanks for the tip. You are a star.
I don't know if you can delete a post or rename it but I was looking in the wrong place for the solution to my problem. Having, tweaked everything I could think of in PD16 I read my own post and thought that I should just check my old files and confirm the problem is there. It isn't.

So, my problem is something different it is to do with using these MOV files instead of my old AVI files. If I play them from explorer they play just fine. When I play them in a PD16 timeline there is about a 1 second delay before the sound kicks in which is the effect I am getting with my cross fades. I still have no idea what to do.

[Moderation Note: Changed the Topic Header to reflect the new issue.]
I have been using PowerDirector quite happily for a while. One of the things I often produce is video with music. Now I am having problems and don't understand why. Two things have changed. I have upgraded from 15 to 16 and I am using a different camera. The old camera was a Fuji and save AVI files the new camera is a Panasonic and saves MOV files. My problem is that when OI overlap clips and select crossfade the video does but the audio doesn't. The sound on the left hand clip fades out but there is no sound from the right hand clip until the left hand one is finished and then it comes in full volume. I thought I could work around it by putting clips on two tracks and manually fading but to my surprise I get the same effect. I played the clips individually to check that there was no sound fade in from the camera but no, the clip is fine. I don't really know what to do next.
Has anyone else hadproblems with their audio when cross fading? My standard editing approach is to keep most stuff on the top line, stretch one clip over the previous and let it cross fade. This has been working fine until I upgraded. When previewing the sound went quiet and then started again on the next clip. I assumed this was just pressure on the CPU to do it realtime and it would be fine in render. It wasn't. Do I have to put my clips on two tracks now and manually make the fade (or downgrade to v15) or is there some setting I've lost when upgrading? In settings I have default transition to cross.
Let key frames keep their absolute, clipped position when changing a trimmed clip.

This is not an obvious topic and so let me explain. I had a clip with a number of attributes and which had been trimmed to a certain time. I liked this and wanted to use it again and so copied it and replaced the clip with another. So far so good but I didn't want the first n seconds of this clip I wanted the middle n seconds. So I trimmed the clip and expected to see my effects as copied but all the key frames had moved, presumably keeping their position in relation to the untrimmed clip. Can we have the option of keeping the key frames in relation to the trim?
Hi, I'd like more control over cropping. Most features in PD have the percentage counters which give precision but cropping is pretty freehand. Why not give us the x:y percentages?

Alisdair
Quote Duotone

Sounds like Split Toning: https://youtu.be/w-13f-CAs0I

If you have ColorDirector, you may use it as a color grading plug-in in PowerDirector.

Hi,

Having seen Tony's template this is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks guys.

Alisdair.
Hi,

I'd like to see a new effect - duotone. See Videostudio as an example of what I mean.

Alisdair
Quote Duotone

Sounds like Split Toning: https://youtu.be/w-13f-CAs0I

If you have ColorDirector, you may use it as a color grading plug-in in PowerDirector.

Hi,

This is not what I was trying to do but looks really useful. Thanks for pointing it out.

Alisdair.
Hi Tony,

I do have ColourDirector, have downloaded your template and will have a look at it tomorrow (it's late now). Will feed back. I'll also go to the wishlist post and add this as it's a pretty basic effect with no need to hide it away in fix/enhance.

Thanks for the guidance.

Alisdair.
Duotone is an effect I have used in other editors and I wanted to add it to a current project. However, there is no duotone effect. I looked through the others to see if it had a different name but none looked like a match. I'm sure guys out there have used this effect in PowerDirector. What am I missing?

Thanks.
For me improvements can made in the DVD production. I've always found this very slow. Simple enhancements would include the automatic population of sub menus with the title from the main menu. By all means allow it to be edited but start with the title selected from the main title instead of "my title".

Also make it easier to add more buttons. All of the DVDs I have burned so far have three because I gave up trying to add more.

Finally, save all the changes. I often change the selection from HQ to smart fit but when I reload it is gone and I have to wait for it to re-fit again.
Hi I have found the same thing. I've doubled my memory (which I had been planning to do anyway) but it is still really slow. How do you unwind the update or did you back up your system before applying it?

Thanks,

Alisdair.

Quote It's the same as the Beta 2820. It slows down completly, every time when i'm in the Disc Create or Producing Menu and switch between the settings (1080i<>1080p) or the formats (mkv , mp4). It takes considerably longer for an operation to be possible, it looks like the PD15 hangs for a certain time.

Back to 2509 and all is beautiful und runs smooth.
Carl,

That is correct. At least I am not doing anything wrong but that looks like a feature needing fixed in PD.

Thanks for the feedback.

Alisdair.

Quote You are trying to make Titles. That is three separate projects on one DVD.

I have problems in PD 14 and PD 15 to create DVDs using Titles. If you instead use Chapters the DVD works as intended.

I knows chapters does not give the same result, in that you would have to walk through a lot of chapters to select a different Title.

Carl,

Thanks for your reply. I can see only one difference. You have a project on the timeline. I was trying to load projects directly in the Create disc page. It did recognise them because I saw all the chapters appear on the menu setup. I'll have a go with one on the timeline and see what happens but how would I be able to have, say, three projects on the DVD?

Thanks,

ALisdair.

Quote I have burned a standard DVD with PD 15. I works if you you take the default settings.

With your project on the timeline.

Click Create Disc on top of the User Interface.

Click 2D Disc Tab> select DVD (I am using 4.7 GB).

Click Menu Preferences Tab, I am using "Template 1". I uncheck include Menu Opening Video.

You may are may not have that Menu, as I have many Menus from previous versions of Powerdirector. I believe this one came with PD 15.

Click Burn in 2D (lower Right button).

You have three options on this window.

1. Burn to disc

2. Save as Disc image

3. Create a folder

Burn to disc writes to the disc in your burner, the other two options create to your hard drive. You can use any one or two. (I do not recommend using all three at the same time).
I am relatively new to Powerdirector, maybe about a year. I had 14 and upgraded to 15. I've been able to create videos and output to MP4s to play on my computer but last weekend I tried to burn a DVD. I never tried this on 14 and so don't know how that behaved. What I was doing was loading projects. AT first I was delighted because the chapters created in the projects showed up and even had the names I gave them. I thought "well integrated", chose a menu and set it to burn a DVD, rewritable in case something went wrong. It got to about 20% and then PDR.exe is no longer working. I tried again making sure everything else was switched off in case a screensaver or something had interrupted it but the same result. Now I'm a PAL user with 25fps and the projects were 24fps which is what my camera takes. So I tried resaving the projects as 25fps and burning again. It froze at 2%. I had "fit to disk" on so I deleted all bar one of the projects and left it at HQ. Crashed somewhere around 20% again. I took off the menu and it looked as though it worked but only the first chapter was there. I deticked the disc burning option and went for an ISO but same result. Has anyone safely burned a bog standard DVD and if so what did you do differently from me? Thanks for any help.
When making an express project I copied attributes (size, location etc) from one of my clips to paste over a placeholder but it kept some of its original attributes. So, I thought delete them and copy again. I right clicked looking for a clear attributes option, I looked at the menus but couldn't find a way to remove attributes (or effects) other than manually go through them one by one. Surely I'm missing something and there is a quick way to delete effects and attributes from a clip?

Thanks,
Success. Now I know how to make express projects. It did raise another question which I'll post separately. Thanks for the help.
Go to: