Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Changing a mask
A_J_123 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 07, 2016 07:15 Messages: 44 Offline
[Post New]
I know how to create masks. Jowever, when it doesn't quite work, how can I edit it? When I look at a masked clip on the timeline it doesn't show that a mask exists (as far as I can see). Same for when I double click it or click on mask designer. When I click on mask designer and click the red X the mask disappears but I don't see what the mask is beforehand and cannot see its properties to change them. Am I doing something wrong?
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
I'm not sure I understand the description of what's happening.

It's true that PD doesn't indicate that a mask is present on any particular timeline clip, and that double clicking on it will bring up the PiP Designer, which won't allow you to edit the mask; but when you select a clip and open the Mask Designer, the mask is available for resizing or removal/replacement with a different mask.

Are you creating a custom mask, or using one of the pre-defined ones? Are you wanting to edit the shape of the mask, and not simply reposition and/or resize it?

I'm also not familiar with the "red X" you're referring to that deletes the mask. Here's a screenshot of the Mask Designer after I've re-opened it and changed the mask. Everything is fully selectable:

It would definitely help if you could take a screenshot of what you're seeing, then use the forum's Attachments button to share it here. The button is located below the text box, and looks like this:

It would be even more helpful if you could make a screen recording and uploaded it to YouTube, then posted the link here. That would show us exactly what you're doing when you're trying to edit the mask.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 23. 2019 22:57

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
A_J_123 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Optodata,
Thanks for replying.
I was taking one of the express projects and trying to modify it. When I changed the length of a clip I noticed a black bar appearing and realised that a mask was in place. I think it would be a nice feature to see on the timeline that a mask has been applied, just as you can see a filter has been applied. However, even knowing that there is a mask and opening the designer it is still not obvious what is going on. I expected the mask to be highlighted so that I can see what is being applied but what catches the eye is the cross (sorry, blue not red) and nothing is highlighted. There are no key frames showing in the preview window. In my case I was going to widen the mask after some time to remove the black bar but I can't see what is going on.

As I say, when creating a new mask it is pretty straightforward but everything seems to be hidden when I come back to it. Screenshot is attached of the clip with a mask and nothing is highlighted..

Quote I'm not sure I understand the description of what's happening.

It's true that PD doesn't indicate that a mask is present on any particular timeline clip, and that double clicking on it will bring up the PiP Designer, which won't allow you to edit the mask; but when you select a clip and open the Mask Designer, the mask is available for resizing or removal/replacement with a different mask.

Are you creating a custom mask, or using one of the pre-defined ones? Are you wanting to edit the shape of the mask, and not simply reposition and/or resize it?

I'm also not familiar with the "red X" you're referring to that deletes the mask. Here's a screenshot of the Mask Designer after I've re-opened it and changed the mask. Everything is fully selectable:

It would definitely help if you could take a screenshot of what you're seeing, then use the forum's Attachments button to share it here. The button is located below the text box, and looks like this:

It would be even more helpful if you could make a screen recording and uploaded it to YouTube, then posted the link here. That would show us exactly what you're doing when you're trying to edit the mask.
[Thumb - Untitled.jpg]
 Filename
Untitled.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
118 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
1 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 24. 2019 14:52

optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
I nothing is selected in the Mask Designer, including the blue X, you'd need to scroll down to see which one is currently selected:

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

A_J_123 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks Optodata.
I did that. Nothing is showing and no keyframes appear.

I tried a little experiment and revisited a mask I had created from scratch and both the mask and keyframes are visible. Do you think it is because I was trying to edit an express project that in some way hides what was done?

Quote I nothing is selected in the Mask Designer, including the blue X, you'd need to scroll down to see which one is currently selected:

optodata
[Post New]
Quote Thanks Optodata.
I did that. Nothing is showing and no keyframes appear.

I tried a little experiment and revisited a mask I had created from scratch and both the mask and keyframes are visible. Do you think it is because I was trying to edit an express project that in some way hides what was done?

I don't use Express Projects, but if they're anything like PD's other "wizard-like" tools that do most of the work behind the scenes, I wouldn't be surprised that you can't access much of the actual editing that's been applied.

YouTube/optodata