Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Express projects / templates / replace clip
A_J_123 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 07, 2016 07:15 Messages: 44 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,

I created an opening clip which I hope to reuse. I wanted to save it as an express project but couldn't see how.

Question 1 Can you save your own express projects and if so how?

Instead I saved it as a normal; project. Tonight I have tried to reload it but everything came up black (as the media is no longer there). This was what I expected but I was also expecting to be able to select a clip and replace it.

Question 2 Can you click on a clip and then replace it and if so how?

Thanks for any help.

ALisdair.
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
File/Pack Project Materials will save the content to a specific folder of your choosing with a pds file to open the project.

Is this what you're after?
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Alisdair -

After you've modified a sequence using Express Project, packing the project materials, as Dafydd suggested, is really the only way to save it in a way that can be re-used or further modified.

BUT (and you may have already found this) once you've inserted your own clips then saved/packed your project & re-open it or insert it into another project, it loses its "express project" qualities. What I mean is, those placeholders that used to have 1, 2, 3 thumbnails become like normal media in a project. i.e. replacing or adding clips works as it normally does in PDR. If you've left placeholders "free", those sections will behave like an Express Project.

No - you cannot save your own Express Projects as new templates, but you can:

1. Open an Express Project sequence

2. Modify durations and keyframe attributes (fades, motion etc), without inserting media

3. Save or pack the project

4. When re-opening the project, it will behave like an Express Project with placeholders.

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
A_J_123 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks guys but I don't think I've quite got it. I've packed an opening sequence and I've now re-opened it, saved it as another project in a new directory but when I drop in new images to replace the old ones the transitions and movement are gone. I've just re-read the posts and was my mistake to pack the actual opening, complete with media? Should I instead have used an express project to mimic the opening but without adding media and saved that?

I'll have a go and find out.
A_J_123 [Avatar]
[Post New]
OK, partial success. I've got the timing I wanted but not the correct attributes. When I pasted the ones I wanted the dialog box asked me if I wanted to overwrite the existing attributes, which I did. However, it kept attributes from the original express project. I can go back and manually remove these.

Incidentally I saved it as a project. Every time I tried to pack it I got the error message invalid folder name.
A_J_123 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Success. Now I know how to make express projects. It did raise another question which I'll post separately. Thanks for the help.