Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Quote Depending on what you want to do with all the clip segments, maybe the PreCut tool will be helpful

Thanks,
I didn't know that function existed. It looks as though that will be just what I need.
I've had a look around the forum for ways to do this. If I've understood what I have read correctly I can see two options. There is batch produce where you produce multiple pds files and then get them to output in a batch and there is produce range where you marl out your clip and output it.

Is there a way of combining these processes whereby you mark out split points throughout the large file and then tell it to effectively batch produce the ranges? If not I guess I'll just work with the produce range option.
Quote See the the PD365 minimum system requirements for AI : https://www.cyberlink.com/products/powerdirector-video-editing-software/specs_en_US.html , OS, cpu and gpu minimum are given here.

If your system meets the minimum requirements, then you may want to contact CyberLink support.

Tomasc
Thanks. It looks as though my graphics card is not up to it.
Quote Try this: Go to Preference/Hardware acceleration and uncheck enable hardware decoding. Uncheck the other box too if necessary and click ok.

Thanks Tomasc. I tried that and it didn't make any difference. I tried dropping various other fxs on to the clip. Most worked but any with AI in the name gave me black. Do I need to initialise AI in some way?
Just to see what it looked like I dragged the motion trail fx on to a clip. It then downloaded and initialised but when I looked at the clip it was now black. If I try to drag the fx to an fx line it won't drop. What am I doing wrong?

Hi,

Try looking in the Video Overlay room (F5)>Custom - I think you'll find them there.

There is a difference in designing and saving a Custom Mask, which is then available in Custom Masks as just the mask, for any general use, as opposed to saving a clip with a mask applied as a PiP Object which is what your workflow does in this case.

Hope that helps!

Cheers
PowerDirector Moderator

Hi, you're absolutely right. There it is. It's not exactly intuitive - in the mask designer save as and get a PiP Object.

So, as I understand it, to save as a custom mask I always have to use one of the create mask options. I can use create from the image, find the image in the library in the program directory, change it and click OK rather than save as. That seemed to work for me.

Thanks,
Alisdair.
I posted a similar message on Powerdirector 19 but maybe that's not getting any traffic now. Forgive me for double posting.

I took one of the standard masks and edited it. I then saved as and gave it a name. I can see that name at the top of the screen while still in that mask but when I click OK and go to another clip there is no sign of that mask in custom masks. Where did it go?
I am in a project and edited one of the standard masks. I'm going to use it again in the project and thought I might use it again in others and so tried to save it. Got the message that you can't save with a video clip and so I replaced the clip with an image and saved it. When I'm in that image clip I can see the name I saved but when I go to any other clip and enter mask designer there is no sign of it. What am I missing?
Quote That's a good question, and normally the easiest way to copy edits to another clip is to right-click and choose Copy Keyframe Attributes, which you can then apply to any other clip.

The problem is that masks and chroma-keying are explicitly excluded from this feature, so you'll want to use Plan B (which is still pretty easy )

All you need to do is make a copy of the "master" clip and paste it on the timeline. Now drag the next clip from the media library on top of the new clip (making sure that the leading edge is somewhere to the right of the left edge of timeline clip), and when you release the mouse button, choose Replace.

PD will then replace the original with the new clip with all existing edits in place. Please note that if the new clip is longer than the copied "original" it will be trimmed to match the same length, so you'll just need to drag the right (trailing) edge all the way to the right to extend the new clip to its full length.

Hi Opto
I had the same problem. I was on the right lines but your post cleared it up for me. I had already edited a clip in the timeline and then tried to drag and drop it on to the copied clip but replace was not an option. It would be nice to have that option. Reading your post I then dragged the unedited clip from the media box and edited it once again. Unfortunately this meant the keyframes no longer worked and I had to copy them again. It would also be nice if attributes stayed in place for an identical length edited clip. I got there in the end but the missing link for me was your suggestion to drag the unedited clip from the media box. Thanks/

CL change, really mucked things up.

But your best bet is to use "Page Up" and "Page Down" key to toggle between movie and clip mode and the timecode will update.

Jeff

Perfect! That has improved my life!
I'm not sure if there has been a change in functionality in version 19, whether I've changed my way of working or if I'm just noticing this more but too often I find myself looking at a clip timecode in the preview window when I want the project timecode. Is there an easy way to tell the prview window which timecode you want to see?
Quote In the PiP Designer (and in the preview screen from the main timeline) you can manually drag the blue freeform control points, but to enter numeric values you need to use the Keyframe tool instead.

OK thanks, I see the numbers there. Not sure why we couldn't have them in PIP and do everything in one place.

You've been a great help.
Quote There are several transitions that do that, but they fade out at the end, so you can use the freeform controls to smoothly rotate your clip in the PiPDesigner or Keyframe tool.

Basically these are the steps:

1. Set the freeform positions at the start of the clip then set another keyframe in the middle

2. To rotate the clip with the left edge moving "away", set the middle freeform positions to 0.5,0.1; 0.5,0; 0.5,0.9; 0.5,1.0

3. Split the clip in half, and apply the Flip Canvas FX to the second half

4. Set the second clip's starting freeform positions to 0.5,0; 0.5,0.1; 0.5,1; 0.5,0.9

Here's what that should look like:

You can download this project and play around with it. You can also drag your actual clips onto the skateboard clip but you'll most like need to adjust the timing and position of the keyframes.

OK. What I found easy and quick to set up was to duplicate my clip, trim the first copy to the time of the effect, apply the flip canvas effect and then transition spin horizontal into the other clip.
Then I downloaded your project but got stuck. In PIP I can see the keyframes on the freeform line but on the left of the screen I cannot see anywhere to change the values. The effect works perfectly but I'm not sure how.
That is exactly the effect I am looking for. I see you ans AVPlay also mention the transition which might be easier. I'm back at my PC and will experiment with both. Thanks guys.
OK. I'v done that
I was trying to recreate a title sequence I had created on another editor and thought I knew enough about Powerdirector to do this but I'm stuck. I was using the PIP editor for the work and covered most points until I wanted to rotate a clip horizontally. In the PIP there is the flip option but that seems to be on or off. I found the flip canvas effect, set a starting keyframe of flipped and then another keyframe where the clip is normal and was hoping to see the clip spin between the two keyframes but it doesn't it just flips completely when it hits the keyframe with no smooth action between. How do I get the smooth spin I am looking for?
Yes, done that.
Thanks for the reply, sad though it is. Similarly, if I add a clip to the end of the timeline I can slide it over the prvious one and get the option of fade but if I drop it in the middle between two clips when I'd like to fade in and out it only offers overwrite or insert. I'd love to have crossfade as an option as well.
I suspect I am missing something simple.
I create a project, watch it and decide to make some cuts. My clips are transitioned together, usually with fades. When I make a cut, all the following clips move, good, but the one immediately after the cut clip starts at the end of the clip not with the transition. If I select all the clips after and drag them across the transition it no longer gives me the option of fade. It says overwrite and I end up moving all the clips one at a time. Is there a way to make a cut in a clip,and have all the rest move along, keeping the transition?
Thanks Optodata.
I did that. Nothing is showing and no keyframes appear.

I tried a little experiment and revisited a mask I had created from scratch and both the mask and keyframes are visible. Do you think it is because I was trying to edit an express project that in some way hides what was done?

Quote I nothing is selected in the Mask Designer, including the blue X, you'd need to scroll down to see which one is currently selected:

Go to: