Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Hello again Paul,

Firstly, thank you for attaching the photos. They've provided some useful information. Secondly, there's never any need to apologise for asking questions. It's a sign of intelligence & the best way to learn & improve what you're doing.

Both your Nikons (D7100 & D5000) output photos at 300PPI. There's absolutely no need to increase that when you're exporting. I'd leave that setting at 300.

When you get some spare time, & if you're inclined, you might like to have a read of this PPI explainer (which I think is very good!).

I understand your need to reduce file size to ~5MB to meet the requirements of the organisation.

The export settings you use will depend on (a) which camera you've used & (b) your camera settings.

(a) D7100 can output 6000 x 4000 px, which equates to 20 x 13.333 inches (300PPI)
(b) D7100 can output 4800 x 3200 px, which equates to 16 x 10.667 inches (300PPI)
(c) D5000 can output 4288 x 2848 px, which equates to 14.293 x 9.493 inches (300PPI)

For (a) I'd use the setting below, which will give you a 2850 x 1900 px image <5MB

For (b) & (c), I'd use the settings below, which will give you a 3000 px (wide) image <5MB

Hope that helps laughing

PIX
Hello Jean-Michel,

Welcome to the PhotoDirector forum laughing

Yes, I can confirm what you've reported. Agreed, it doesn't seem right that using certain features without PhD closing should be reserved for the Administrator.

I can also confirm that the same thing does NOT occur in Windows 10. All features function correctly., whether signed in as Administrator or Standard user.

I will report the issue you've posted to the team at CyberLink for their attention.

PIX
Thank you Paul. It's nice to be appreciated. You're doing good work there.

I don't think reinstalling PhD is likely to make any difference.

Questions:

1. The UK organisation you're providing photos for - is their requirement simply file size (5MB or less) or have they requested a certain pixel resolution?

2. Which Nikon camera are you using? e.g. a Nikon D5600 (also a 24MP camera) outputs photos 6000x4000 at 300PPI. I can't see any point in increasing the PPI setting for export.

3. Could you please attach 1 photo for checking here? That's the only purpose for which it will be used.

PIX
Hello again Paul,

I've been wrestling with this, trying to replicate your observations about exported file size from PhD8, & I've been unable to.

I've tested a variety of images, even some with insanely high resolutions. As you can see in the examples below, there is little difference in file size when exported at 457PPI or 458PPI. surprised These images were exported with Long Edge set to 7inches & PPI set as shown.

I'm not sure why you're modifying the PPI in any case. Of course it affects file size, but what is the PPI of your original photos/scans?

Perhaps you could post an example of one of your originals as an attachment.

PIX
Hello again Paul,

A couple of things:

1. When you mention 457pixels = 4.71mb, are you referring to the Resolution setting under Image Sizing? (Pixels per inch/cm) or something else?

2. Later versions of PhD have an exported file size estimator built in (which would be helpful for your purposes).

PIX
Hello Paul,

I understand much of what you've posted, but I'm perplexed at your statement about resolution.

On a recent pic when I used a resolution of 457 it has produced a pic of 4.71mb. The same pic using a resolution of 458 produced a pic of 5.93mb.

457? 458? What are these numbers referring to? Image size? If you could clarify that would make it easier to explain.

I'm assuming you're exporting to JPG format, rather than PNG or TIFF. Is that correct?

In the Export preferences in PhD8, there are two options that will have a significant impact on exported file size - File Settings (quality) & Image Sizing.

The tables below show some examples of photos exported using different options.

First, by changing the quality setting there's a huge impact on file size. These are all exported at the original size (5033 x 3355px)

Next, keeping the quality setting at 100% (less compression), changing the exported image size has an impact too.

I understand you may have reasons for exporting at lower quality or reduced size. Personally, I prefer to export at maximum quality.

Hopefully, that has clarified some things for you.

PIX
Hello DamienC,

To my knowledge that's not possible in PhD.

Adjustment settings can be saved as presets or copied & pasted, but not adjustment masks. Checking the Help file seems to confirm that.

PIX
Hello Brandon,

Welcome to the AudioDirector forum laughing

Without some further information, it's difficult to say what may be causing your reported issue.

• Exactly what steps did you take to create your looping "I love you" audio clip?

To try to replicate your problem in ADR here, I:

1. imported the Wings song "Silly Love Songs"

2. (Mix module) removed all parts of the track except one chorus (which repeats 'I love you" 4 times [duration = 0.00.30.718]

3. copied that chorus clip & pasted it repeatedly (4 times) in the master track [total duration = 0:02:02.873]

4. produced the edited track

There were no issues either during playback in ADR or playing the produced track in other software.

Please see the attached screenshot of my workings in ADR. Can you provide any further information about the steps you took?

PIX
Hello Dominik,

Have you tried to use the Color Match feature in PowerDirector? (screen shot attached)

Of course, there are many variables in your situation:

• 5 different cameras

• Different camera settings

• Different light/time of day/setting

Depending on light & colour variation, Color Match may well be able to bring the colours closer to eliminate the impact of differences in shot.

ColorDirector could be used to adjust the colour on clips from each camera separately by copying & pasting adjustments or creating presets. It's unlikely you could apply those same presets/adjustments to clips from other cameras... but that depends on the variance.

There's also a Color Match feature in CDR, under Effects.

PIX
I hope this screen capture helps to clarify laughing

PIX
Ed,

I'm pleased you've nailed the problem down. I've been tying myself in knots trying to work out what was going on. I haven't been able to replicate any of the things you've reported & there's a good reason for that.

I was going to ask if you'd resized on export, or whether that was only to allow easier upload to the forum.

Nothing to do with the source of the photos. Nothing to do with adjustments. Nothing to do with applying a frame. ALL to do with export preferences! laughing (see attached screenshot)

In your export preferences, under Advanced, make sure you've got the setting right for you. They're obviously not at the moment or you wouldn't be disappointed.

Are you exporting in PNG format for a reason?

Yes - absolutely - downsizing significantly is likely to cause quality loss. I'm not sure what the original resolution of your photos is, but I'd be confident it was 960x720.

PIX
Hello Ed,

That's an odd issue... & one I can't replicate.

Being an iPhone user myself, I had to download some sample files from a Samsung Galaxy S22 (& some others) for testing.

I could not find any detectable difference in image quality after a frame template had be applied, either in PhD or in the exported files.

The files in this ZIP are 1. the original photo, 2. the exported framed photo, & 3. the actual frame that was applied. See if you can find a difference in image quality. Zoom in to 100% for accuracy.

At first I wondered whether it was anything to do with how the frame is "dynamically" reproportioned to match the photo, but haven't followed that up.

What is the model of your Samsung phone?

PIX
Hello again Ed,

In PhD, the Edit module allows you to overlay images, such as speech bubbles, add text. & rearrange them as you wish.

Yes, of course you can create & import your own "stickers" using the Add Photo Layer option.

If you use the subscription version (365) you may find some effect packs meet your needs. There's a zipped folder of varying quality speech bubbles attached. Have a play.

PIX
Sorry Ed,

I can't replicate that one at all.

Steps:

1. Create folder on PC containing copies of photos (10)

2. Name the folder "DummyPhotos"

3. Open PhD and create a new project (EdIssues)

4. Import DummyPhotos folder

5. Create virtual photos of all 10

6. Make adjustments to all virtual photos - manual & presets

7. Rename folder in PhD to "EdDummyPhotos"

8. Check all photos for reported issues

All photos were in the correct state, as I expected. All adjustments present in virtual photos. No rotations.

So, I'm not sure what's happening on your PhD but we'd need to replicate it widely to put it in the bug category.

PIX
Hello Ed,

Your observations are correct & thank you for posting them.

Indeed - clicking "Clear" only removes the most recent adjustment. Using Ctrl+Z (undo) takes you back step by step through the adjustments made, but does no revert the photo to its original state.

I'm sure the designers didn't intend for this to be a "feature"! I'll bring it to the attention of my contacts at CyberLink.

PIX
Hello Abraham,

I think I understand the problem.

When you select a photo and go to Edit, PhotoDirector uses the dimensions of the photo to create the canvas. e.g. the photo in your screenshot might be something like 3400(w) x7600(h).

If you want to arrange 3 similarly proportioned photos, you need to make a canvas of appropriate size. In the example below I'm using 3 photos from an iPhone (3024x4023). The canvas needs to be created at 9072x4023.

The empty canvas...

Now the photos can be added, using Add Photo Layer...

Photos added & rearranged...

The first step you take will make the difference laughing

PIX
Hello detroit123,

Have you had a chance to try Guided > Frames & Watermarks > Watermark Templates/Creator?

It's quite simple to format a watermark & save it as a template for future use.

""

BTW, it was naughty of me to plant a © symbol on that photo since I didn't take it "embarassed". Just an example.

PIX
Hello AleRauseo,

You didn't mention which version of PhD you're using, or what happens when you try to import the CR3 files from your R10.

Here, in PhD13, the CR3s import but display is appalling... so I don't suppose it matters which version you're using surprised

I'm glad you've reported the issue to Tech Support. I'll do the same through my channels.

PIX
Hello again Myemerald,

There is no display issue with your original photo straight from the camera here. That won't surprise you because, as you've said, the issue seems to be a bit random.

In any case, I'm pleased things appear to have returned to normal & you can get on with your editing.

PIX
Hello Mark,

Welcome to the PhotoDirector forum laughing and my apologies that your question has been left for weeks without a response.

When you open a RAW file in PhD, then begin to edit it, PhD records the edits you've made in the project file (.phd). So, when you reopen the project you'll see the adjustments you've already made. That means your RAW file has been modified within PhD, but those changes aren't permanently applied until you export the photo.

When you say "work on the image then save it,", what do you mean? PhotoDirector cannot overwrite your original RAW files because it cannot export in those formats.

PIX
Hello Myemerald,

That's a particular issue I've not experienced with PhD. Thank you for uploading the screenshot showing the problem. Let's try to narrow the possibilities.

1. Does the same issue occur in other photo viewers with that photo? (e,g, Windows Photos)

2. Is the problem occurring with all photos or only particular ones?

3. What options do you have checked under Preferences > Hardware Acceleration?

Could you please upload the original photo so members can test?

PIX
Go to: