CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Quote Hi,

sorry for this beginner's question.
I am working on a 90 min. film (also with subprojects) which will take many weeks to edit.
Is there a possibility fo a daily backup without having to pack the different projects materials everytime?

Would be grateful for any help!

I'm sorry if I misunderstood what you wanted. If you want to back up your work each day to separate external hard drives then as JL_JL says you could use a file synchronisation program. The one I use allows you very detailed control of what is backed up and where. You simply set up what files, or groups/types of files, you want backed up and the source and destination paths then it can be done with a single click. It won't backup to multiple destinations but it's easy to set up multiple profiles which you can quickly select so with two or three clicks you should be able to do what you want. I can give you a link if you would like to PM me.
There is no point in repeatedly backing up all the source material especially as the OP states he already has it backed up. All he needs to do is back up the .pds file and as Philwild has pointed out you can autosave that at time intervals prescribed in Preferences > Project. In there you can also set the destination of the saved file so if the OP wants to back up automatically to an external drive he just needs to set the path there.
Power Director supplied as a package with new PC's is always a stripped-out "taster" version. The limited version you have can not be upgraded. To get the functionality you need you will have to buy a new full version and it would be best to go for the latest version which I believe is 18.

Thanks Mike! Super interesting; I googled it and it seems there's no landing page for it (was looking for documentation / manual). I'm wondering if it has the ability to keyboard map to the following commands:
- View Entire Movie
- Remove Timeline Markers (Add Timeline Marker already exists as a keyboard shortcut)
- Add Clip Marker (Remove Clip Markers already exists as a keyboard shortcut)

If you've Googled it you probably know it uses AutoHotkey. I actually downloaded it and used it to modify the PDspeed executable to take account of some command changes between PD9 and PD13. However I'm sure Optodata is right that it can't be used to mimic mouse actions [edit] although on further reading the description of its features in the Wiki article does include 'emulate . . . . . mouse clicks and movements'[/edit]. It's power comes from the ability to string a number of commands together under one keystroke. I haven't looked into the operations you've listed so I don't know if they could be actioned by combining a string of commands.
I wonder if this would do what you want. I started using it with PD9 and adapted it to work with my current PD13.
Shadow files are small low-resolution copies of the main media files and are used to reduce the computational load on the computer and make editing smoother when the main files are large and hi-resolution.

The icons in the media window go yellow whilst the low-res files are being generated. They are not ready for use during this time. Once the generation has completed they go green and can then be used.

When you produce the finished video the shadow files are replaced with the original hi-res content.
I've always assumed that pre-produced files imported into the Create Disc module would be used as is and not re-rendered. I always work this way and also burn to an ISO file rather than directly to a disc. I use Imgburn to do the burning.

Maybe because I produce to H264AVC using SVRT PowerDirector doesn't need to re-render. I've never tried producing using settings outside the allowed range. I should be interested to get the opinions of some of the Gurus on this issue, @tomasc, @Optodata et al.
Until one of the real experts comes along I'll try to give you some pointers - I'm not by any means an expert on this . . .

When you say your source files are 1000 bitrate do you actually mean 1Mbps (1000K) bits per second? If so this is a low figure for MPEG-4. The AVCHD 1920x1080 files from my camcorder are around 10Mbps. The default bitrate for the MPEG-4 AVC profile in PD is around 16Mbps and it won't allow a lower figure than 6Mbps to be entered in a custom profile. Even MPEG-2 won't go below 1Mbps.

I think it is possible, in principle, to edit a profile file in a text editor to achieve lower than the minimum allowed values but I have no idea if that would work successfully and very much doubt if the resulting quality would be acceptable.
Hi Ian,

Instead of using the yellow sliders try highlighting the set of clips you want by either holding down the left mouse button and dragging the marquee over them or by left-clicking on the first clip and Shift/left-clicking on the last. Then select Copy from the main menu bar.
I can't give you a reason for that behaviour but you could work around it by saving a copy of the original project under the name of the new one then editing out the bits you don't want.

I appreciate this may not be practicable if it's a complex project, though, so an alternative approach could be to produce the bit you want to copy to a file and then insert this on the new timeline.
Quote I am not sure what to do next, in particular how to use SVRT on the timeline rather than by clicking on "produce" at the top of
the screen and producing the video..

If I can jump in here, what Optodata is suggesting is that you produce your three videos separately. They will then appear in the media folder and can be inserted onto the timeline. Then produce again to generate the final video. If you make sure all the produce settings are identical you should see the SVRT button illuminate automatically.

SVRT simply copies across unmodified video without re-rendering so for this to work the produce settings must match the original video. This is much faster and avoids any loss of quality. With a normal timeline including transitions, titles and other modifications only those parts are rendered. In the case of your three videos this will already have been done in the initial individual productions so when you place these on the timeline SVRT will effectively simply join them together without performing any further rendering.

I hope this makes things clearer.
Just save the .exe download somewhere else on your hard drive, or on an external drive or optical disk. As I said, I haven't obtained my Cyberlink software this way so I don't know in what form it is offered but I presume from your comments that it's a self-extracting file. If so it'll be fine to just save it somewhere safe in case you need it again.

As regards producing the .mts video the best format would be the same as the original. If you get the properties of the files in the media folder then just select the matching profile in the Produce page as shown here. If the profiles match the SVRT button should illuminate showing that the footage will only need to be rendered where special effects have been applied, such as transitions, titling, zooming, cropping and so on. Unaltered footage will simply be copied across. This is faster, more efficient and maintains the original quality.

Edit: I can't really advise on the best format for uploading to YouTube as I haven't entered that world. There are plenty of experts on here such as @tomasc and @optodata who can better advise you on that.
Quote I'll back up from the cyberlink PD program files in that folder if that is what you are on about.

Hi Alistair,

The files to back up are the ones you downloaded, not those in the Program Files folder. A backup of these files is always a commonsense idea because the download link expires after 30 days. I don't know if there is any warning about this as I haven't personally bought PD this way. Mine was on a boxed CD so I've always got it in case of problems.

On this forum there are regular posts from users who need to re-install but haven't kept copies of the setup files. It used to amaze me (but doesn't any longer) that they didn't keep copies that they'd paid good money for, it seems such an obvious thing to do. Whenever I buy software on download I always keep copies either burned to optical media or backed up on multiple hard drives.
Hi Branxholme,

To be honest I don't have the knowledge to interpret the dxdiag fully, I have to leave that to the true experts on this forum, and hence I don't have answers to your questions. I was just making the observation that when things suddenly change out of the blue the most likely explanation is that something on the system has performed a background update. It doesn't surprise me that the performance of your other applications was unchanged, this was why I mentioned that PD appears particularly sensitive to changes. This is based on many years of reading posts on this forum. For instance a small change to the Windows environment can result in certain functions in a graphics driver no longer being supported.

I presume you've obtained a new download link from Cyberlink so I hope you can get it working again. If not it might still be worth trying a System Restore if you have a suitably dated restore point. Finally I hope I'm not 'teaching my grandmother to suck eggs' if I recommend archiving the PD setup files, preferably by burning to a DVD.
Quote it makes me ask what has changed in that time to make the computer not compatible all of a sudden?

The most likely thing to have changed is a Windows 10 update. As you're probably aware W10 does not allow the user control over updates and this has been known to cause problems with users in some cases reporting their computers have become completely unusable. Video editing applications like Power Director are very sensitive to changes in system configuration and for this reason I've stuck with Windows 7 and exercise strict control over updates of anything on my system.

If you had not already uninstalled your original Power Director I would have recommended you to try a System Restore to a date before the problem appeared. This would at least have shown if an update was responsible, although W10 would probably have then tried to reapply the update. I think there are ways, using third-party applications, to get some control over updating although I have seen reports indicating that Microsoft has made changes to prevent these from working.

Regrettably I think the only recourse for those unfortunate enough to be stuck with Windows 10 is to keep upgrading to the latest version of Power Director.
You could try System Restore.
I can only suggest you contact Diamond Multimedia customer services and explain your problem. It's quite possible that very recent changes to Windows 10 may have prevented their driver from working properly and they may have a more up-to-date version available. Unfortunately this seems to be a recurring problem with Windows 10 and many third-party suppliers may be struggling to keep up.

Perhaps some of the more expert contributors to this forum may be able to offer some further suggestions.
Have you tried using the capture software supplied with the VC500? I've never tried to use Power Director's capture module. I use the software supplied with my camera and with my Climax Digital USB capture device then import the files into Power Director.
Instead of clicking the stop button just press the spacebar.

Edit: On second thoughts that's probably just the same as pause though. Why don't you want to use pause?
Quote Often ALL the buttons for the program simply disappear. I can make them return again by dragging the cursor over where the buttons are supposed to be. No idea why this would happen

I frequently have this happen too. I'd also like to know if there's any explanation for it but I guess it's something we just have to live with.

Edit: For some reason the website didn't attach my signature even though it's still set to do so in my profile, so here it is:

Regards,
Mike

Home-build system:
Gigabyte GA-P61_USB3-B3, Intel Core i5 Quad Core 3.3GHz, 2 x 4GB DDR3 1333MHz,
Asus Nvidia GT440 1GB, 2 x Western Digital WD10EARS 1TB,
Windows 7 Prof 64-bit, Powerdirector Ultra 64 9.0.0.2330 and Ultimate 64 13.0.2
Go to: