Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
On the right track?
Argonaut [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 16, 2012 06:43 Messages: 37 Offline
[Post New]
Powerdirector 21.3.2727.0. Relative novice. I'm ready to produce my project, a mix of photos, videos and music, The project will end up being 60 - 90 minutes in length. I want to 1) be able to show this on a DVD and/or Blue Ray player hooked up to a 4K resolution TV, displaying the best image resolution possible, and 2) distribute copies of it to my guests on either a DVD or USB drive.

So, watching some online tutorials, it appears my best bets for export formating would be
H.2864AVC for Blue Ray with MPEG4 and rez set at 1920X1080, 30p?

Or, should I just stick with DVD quality (is Blue Ray that much better definition)? If standard DVD, what would be the best export specs? Thank you.
Fenman
Senior Contributor Location: Cambridge, UK Joined: Nov 24, 2011 04:44 Messages: 731 Offline
[Post New]
If you want to make multiple copies on DVD or Blu-Ray I would suggest using the facility in Create Disk to burn to a .iso disk image file, then use a third-party program such as imgburn to burn your disks from that. This ensures identical copies and is also probably quicker.

Blu-Ray is potentially much better resolution than DVD although it obviously depends on the quality of your source material.

I'll leave your other questions to the expert contributors on here. Regards,
Mike

Home-build system:
Intel Core i5 Quad Core 3.3GHz, 2 x 4GB DDR3 1333MHz,
Asus Nvidia GT440 1GB, 2 x Western Digital WD10EARS 1TB, 1 x Seagate ST1000DM010 1TB,
Windows 7 Prof 64-bit, PD 9 Ultra 64, PD 13 Ultimate 64
Argonaut [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 16, 2012 06:43 Messages: 37 Offline
[Post New]
Quote If you want to make multiple copies on DVD or Blu-Ray I would suggest using the facility in Create Disk to burn to a .iso disk image file, then use a third-party program such as imgburn to burn your disks from that. This ensures identical copies and is also probably quicker.

Blu-Ray is potentially much better resolution than DVD although it obviously depends on the quality of your source material.

I'll leave your other questions to the expert contributors on here.

Fenman - Thanks for your advice. The burn iso file sounds like a good option. In further consideration, I don't have a Blue Ray burner drive - so, looks like I'll want the highest resolution I can manage for playing from a USB drive, and/or a DVD drive. I found earlier posts on the forum with advice (below), which seems senisble. Would you agree?:

"You may want to look into creating an AVCHD Disc on DVD. This is 720/60p and 1080/60p quality on a DVD. No BD drive is needed, just a plain DVD drive. The created disc can be played from any pc with only a DVD drive and on higher end Sony standalone BD players."

Also,

"I would produce those on my timeline to 4K. And put the mp4 file on a small usb flash drive to distribute to family members to view on a modern 4K TV or on their pc. If any of the family members have a Blu-ray player, you have the option of creating a BD or AVCHD to distribute to them in 1080/60p or 720/60p on disc or on a usb flash drive. The sharpness is better than what is on a DVD."

In summary, I want the highest resolution possible to play on my TV with resolution 4K 3840X2160. Your advice is much appreciated.
Fenman
Senior Contributor Location: Cambridge, UK Joined: Nov 24, 2011 04:44 Messages: 731 Offline
[Post New]
I'm not sure what tomasc means by creating a AVCHD disk on DVD. I'd have thought those options would involve copying the produced video to the DVD and/or flash drive as a data file, so there would be no menu structure as there would be in a normal DVD. If you're just distributing the video as a data file you can produce to any resolution you like subject, as I said earlier, to the resolution of your original material. Producing to higher than that won't gain you resolution. However assuming your photos are higher resolution than your videos you might prefer to produce to that. Bear in mind a data DVD won't be playable on a normal standalone player.

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Jul 09. 2023 05:21

Regards,
Mike

Home-build system:
Intel Core i5 Quad Core 3.3GHz, 2 x 4GB DDR3 1333MHz,
Asus Nvidia GT440 1GB, 2 x Western Digital WD10EARS 1TB, 1 x Seagate ST1000DM010 1TB,
Windows 7 Prof 64-bit, PD 9 Ultra 64, PD 13 Ultimate 64