Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Thanks, Baryddth.

I think I have a new plan of attack, especially having learned so much about what I need from this thread.

I checked out the ridiculously SWEET desktop link shared by Fred and I'm almost positive I'm going that rout while reviving my currently failing laptop for travel with a new $100 hard drive. This gives me two machines for just about the price of one, especially with this offer and free upgrades I found:

http://www.logichp.com/2010/02/15/470-off-hp-touchsmart-600-quad-series/

Got my finger hovering on the order button but giving myself until Sunday to decide. This pops us into our next billing cycle on the credit card while still grabbing the offer the day before it expires. Awesome Karma there.
Thanks, Fred. Looks like I started searching in the right frame of mind. The ASUS is a gaming machine with all the bells and whistles you list - minus the touch screen. I'll be comparing it with those helpful links you sent.

The only thing I'm unsure about is whether I can wait until after Christmas. My machine is on it's very last legs and I need it for work - not to mention some very serious PLAY.
Thanks for the list, Baryddth. Sounds like I'll need more than what you've got. I tend to make 5-6 minute short films mostly, but when many files are involved, I too encounter the issues you mention - and now a hard drive failure to boot.

I was looking at the ASUS G73Jh for under $2K:

Processor: 1.6GHz Intel Core i7-720QM
Memory: 8GB RAM
Storage: 1TB hard drive
Optical Drive: DVD±RW
Screen: 17.3 inches (1,920x1,080 native resolution)
Graphics: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5870 (1GB)
Weight: 7.4 pounds
Dimensions (HWD): 2.2x16.3x12.6 inches
Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit)

Full review: http://computershopper.com/holidayguide/2010/asus-republic-of-gamers-g73jh

Sounds like heaven for my limited price range - but they often do. Need to do more research.

Hi Nina, as a freelance designer by trade, I need a laptop on the go for cross-country business meetings/trainings, not to mention road-trips and cruises for the travel portion of my blog. When I go, I want full capability/portability and I can't afford two systems having just replaced our camcorder - after dropping mine to the bottom of the Atlantic on a rough and tumble kayak trip. Truth be told, I mostly need portability to travel room to room. If I lock myself in a home office, my rotating family of mischievous rescue animals destroy the rest of the house.

That said, battery life is not an issue, nor is port side, Baryddth. I move around a lot - from side to side even - but always in range of an outlet.
Thanks, Baryddth. The new thread has just begun. Let the onslaught of information (or criticism of my price range) begin!
I need a new laptop ($1500-$2000 range) that offers enough power required for PD9 to function well.

I'm processing files from a Canon Vixia HF S21 camcorder with the following capabilities:
AVCHD: 1080/60i @ 24, 17 Mbps; 1440x1080/60i @ 12, 7, 5 Mbps

Anybody have such a thing, tried and true, that they like?
Exactly, Dafydd! I did a diagnostic systems check for Microsoft Office, which was also acting up. Turns out the message there is the same as yours. I'm teetering on the brink of hard drive failure. I'm backing everything up as I type. If my machine survives through one more hour of file transfers, I should be safe.

I guess we can call this case closed. Obviously, my corrupt snapshot issue has nothing to do with PD9.

Ugh.
Thanks everybody, for you kind support.
I have two options left, to hang my technological woes by USB cable - which would only result in a ridiculous thud... or, buy a new and more powerful computer. Option two sounds like MUCH more fun.

Any suggestions for a laptop worthy of desktop replacement that can support PD9?
What a party we have going on here! Welcome, Robert.

Drivers, although I'm happy to have updated them, didn't directly help the snapshot problem. Moving on to fresh install in the morning. Energy waning...

I'll check in with you all tomorrow and answer remaining questions about camcorder files then. I'll let you know whether my shadow files remain or get trashed with a fresh install too, Fred.

Thanks for EVERYTHING, you guys. I feel like I have my own personal pit crew and none of you get paid what your worth. Raises for everyone!

Hi Jeff,

I did install both and the Titles were present throughout the editing of 5 separate videos. Then, they were gone.
Kevin, I'm sorry. I somehow missed your response at the top of the screen. Thank you for getting back to me.

Yes, my previous description failed miserably. I meant the title options have gone missing, all but "default" and those few I downloaded.

Fred,

Disc space is pretty full due to shadow edit files for a video I have open and am editing now - this after a disc cleanup I did just yesterday. Not sure how much more space I can grab. I'm otherwise on the driver updates.

For both of you.

Preferences:

- Import and export set to desktop
- Destination set to file
- "Use original video size ... " - checked
- File type is reset to bmp but every type tried has failed.

Let's see if the new drivers have an impact. Thanks for the starting point!

Thanks for your response, Fred. I truly appreciate it.

BUILD: PD9 Ultra 64, 32 bit, 9.0.0.2330

DXDIAG is attached.
Hi Fred,

No, oddly, it is not automatically added - and it's only been an issue since upgrading to PD9. Do you think a clean full install rather than an upgrade might fix it? If so, do you think Cyberlink would allow for that if I show my receipt?
Hello,

I hope somebody can help.

Each time I take a snapshot in PD 9, it deposits one on my desktop but not in my library. When I attempt to import it, I get the following error message:
An error occurred while opening this file in the media library. It may be because the file is broken, an unsupported format, protected video content or for another reason. Try contacting your video provider for a different video format.

These snapshots are also reported broken when I attempt to open them in Paint Shop Pro.

Some useless remedies I've tried:

- shutting down the program and restarting
- rebooting my system
- installing the latest 12/10 patch for PD 9
- saving in each available format (bmp, jpg, png, etc.)

Nothing renders a usable image from this video clip - or any other.

PS: All my text transitions supplied with the upgrade from PD 8 have gone missing as well.

Suggestions?

I'm with you, DeBabba. So many functions I used to use with ease in very little time, now give me carpal tunnel. The inability to drag clips to lengthen and shorten them (without pulling them out, adding space in the timeline and putting the back in) is just one.

Why can't we copy and paste transitions anymore? I'm adding clips, have to switch back to transitions, scroll through to choose my favorite (or pick one from my favorites menu) and then go back to clips only to do it all over again as I add more. SHOOT ME NOW. My wrist is is going to fall off.

I also hate the constant reworking as the sound shifts out from underneath the video because I've deleted a transition.

If I can no longer do what I used to do with speed and ease, what good are these "improvements in capability" that I've never cared to use? Ugh.

Yours in painful and growing frustration.
Thanks, David! That certainly will help! Still and always learning...
Agreed, David. While I see what was done to improve transitions, I can't tell you how much more work I've had to do adding transitions individually for long slideshows. I hate having to scroll through the list for a regular fade again every time I leave that screen.

And why isn't a regular fade available as a standard transition in preferences? I don't want a cross-fade for everything because it zooms in and out.

I also hate that, when I delete a transition, I'm left with a video remnant and I can't stretch that remnant back to it's original length. I've worked around it by combining it with the remnant - but that tends to crash the program.

Sure, PD9 does some great stuff, but the lost functionality makes editing tedious and I wish they had spent more time making better slideshow controls. What's with the high speed transitions in the first one? You can't slow it down and, at it's regular pace, you can't mentally grasp the pictures flying by.
Go to: