Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Snapshot is corrupt - in any format
[Post New]
Hello,

I hope somebody can help.

Each time I take a snapshot in PD 9, it deposits one on my desktop but not in my library. When I attempt to import it, I get the following error message:
An error occurred while opening this file in the media library. It may be because the file is broken, an unsupported format, protected video content or for another reason. Try contacting your video provider for a different video format.

These snapshots are also reported broken when I attempt to open them in Paint Shop Pro.

Some useless remedies I've tried:

- shutting down the program and restarting
- rebooting my system
- installing the latest 12/10 patch for PD 9
- saving in each available format (bmp, jpg, png, etc.)

Nothing renders a usable image from this video clip - or any other.

PS: All my text transitions supplied with the upgrade from PD 8 have gone missing as well.

Suggestions?

Cap'n Kevin
Senior Contributor Location: Chebeague Island, Maine Joined: Dec 26, 2008 20:22 Messages: 2011 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Kim,

I am wondering myself what might be going on.

Just to confirm your preference setup, select the gear looking icon at the top of the open application:

In preferences, in the "File" heading...the snapshot should go to the EXPORT location found in this menu, unless you have specified another location, which it sounds like it is now your Desktop. Is this the setting?

And on my system under the "Snapshot Destination" I have it saved to a "file". bmp...is my choice.

Could you confirm what your current settings are?

PS: All my text transitions supplied with the upgrade from PD 8 have gone missing as well.

What are these? I am sure it is just a description I don't understand. Are you referring to Titles? and the preset Starting effect and Ending effect? Or are you referring to transitions found in the Transition room?

Could you try another explanation for me to help you with?

Thanks,

Kevin

Check out PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials and more! Over 5,000 Subscribers.
[Post New]
Kim;
I have had this problem in the past when I tried to use PNG files. Now (of course) I can not make it happen.
When you take a snapshot, is it automatically added to the library??
[Thumb - snapshot.jpg]
 Filename
snapshot.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
Snapshot in Library
 Filesize
103 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
270 time(s)
[Post New]
Hi Fred,

No, oddly, it is not automatically added - and it's only been an issue since upgrading to PD9. Do you think a clean full install rather than an upgrade might fix it? If so, do you think Cyberlink would allow for that if I show my receipt?
[Post New]
Kim;
Please help us "see your machine a little:
1. Can you create, save and attach a DXDIAG file for your machine. Instructions (see PART B) are found HERE. :
http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/7958.page
HINT:Use the "POST REPLY" button, not the quick reply box and you will see a button to attach the file.
2. Tell us what build of POWERDIRECTOR is installed (Click on the word POWERDIRECTOR in the program)

We await your information.

THANKS
Fred
[Post New]
Thanks for your response, Fred. I truly appreciate it.

BUILD: PD9 Ultra 64, 32 bit, 9.0.0.2330

DXDIAG is attached.
 Filename
KimClune.txt
[Disk]
 Description
KimDXDIAG
 Filesize
47 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
362 time(s)
[Post New]
Kim;
Thanks for the info. A couple of things come first:

1. Update your video drivers. Many utilities and manufacturers say you ARE updated, but you should be running 260.99 Nvidia drivers. They solve lots of problems, right away. Make a RESTORE POINT, download the drivers ( http://www.nvidia.com/object/notebook-win7-winvista-260.99-whql-driver.html ) and install them...NO need to uninstall the existing first. If unsure about restore point, etc., use the link at the bottom of my post to see a guide.

2. You are right around 20% free space on your C: drive. Free some space there...Empty your recycle bin... and/or Right click on the C: drive icon and Choose "properties", then the "Disk Cleanup" button and OK (NOT clean system files button).

For example, Processing video files takes 4 times the size of the project for temporary files during processing (the original, the temporary cache, and the written file (which is re-written and verified before deleting the temporary copy)). So you need to make some space on that C: partition.

I know, you are probably wondering.."How is this related to the error message with snapshots??"...not sure yet..I just know that all this interacts..

Don't give up, we haven't forgotten what you asked us to help you with originally.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 16. 2010 21:14

[Post New]
Does your preferences screen look like the image attached?

What are the locations for the import and export folders??

Is Snapshot destination = "file"

Is "Use original video size....." checked?
[Thumb - snapshot_pref.jpg]
 Filename
snapshot_pref.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
146 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
295 time(s)

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Dec 16. 2010 21:40

[Post New]
By-the way..there is also an update from Dell for your HD Audio Drivers:

http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/driverslist.aspx?os=WLH&catid=3&dateid=-1&impid=-1&osl=EN&typeid=-1&formatid=-1&servicetag=&SystemID=INS_PNT_PM_1520&hidos=WLH&hidlang=en&TabIndex=&scanSupported=False&scanConsent=False
[Post New]
Kevin, I'm sorry. I somehow missed your response at the top of the screen. Thank you for getting back to me.

Yes, my previous description failed miserably. I meant the title options have gone missing, all but "default" and those few I downloaded.

Fred,

Disc space is pretty full due to shadow edit files for a video I have open and am editing now - this after a disc cleanup I did just yesterday. Not sure how much more space I can grab. I'm otherwise on the driver updates.

For both of you.

Preferences:

- Import and export set to desktop
- Destination set to file
- "Use original video size ... " - checked
- File type is reset to bmp but every type tried has failed.

Let's see if the new drivers have an impact. Thanks for the starting point!

JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Did you install both parts of PD9? The installation and then the content pack?

Jeff
[Post New]
Hi Jeff,

I did install both and the Titles were present throughout the editing of 5 separate videos. Then, they were gone.
RobertJ/OZ [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Melbourne Australia Joined: Aug 14, 2006 02:26 Messages: 1209 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Kim,

Follow FredB's advice, you have a low powered system and PDR9 takes considerable computer resources when rendering.

What is the format of your source files, are they SD or HD and what video camera do you use.
If you are using HD format files, you do not have sufficient free space available on C drive. PDR9 uses considerably more resources than PDR8 and will put enormous strain on your system.

Your graphics card only has 256mb of dedicated memory, PDR9, to work efficiently requires a minimum of 512mb of dedicated memory. My laptop only has 256mb of dedicated memory, so I am fully aware of the limitations that creates. Whilst it can handle small 720P projects, it is very slow and tends to freeze a lot, I don't bother with larger HD projects on the laptop because I know that PDR9 will crash, (and sometimes the whole system) so I tend to stick with SD format.
But.... on the desktop, it's all systems go

This may or may not have anything to do with your issue, but as FRedB said, it all interacts

Robert

Robert
Intel i7 930, 16GB ram, Radeon HD 5770 1Gb,Ver. 14.12 Win7 64 bit
Intel i7 7700 HQ, 16 GB ram Nvidia GTX 1050Ti 4GB dual drives 1 TB SSD + 1 TB HDD Win 10

PDtoots
[Post New]
Kim;
Also, based on your statement of "items going missing" since the install, I suggest that you MIGHT want to re-install (saving any custom menus and projects, of course).

Remove/uninstall:
1. Photonow
2. Powerdirector
3. Wave Editor
3. Quicktracks + QT Plugins

REBOOT, then reinstall PD9 and Content pack...

Jeff or Robert or Kevin..Do you agree??

P.S.- See Kim...all that from sending us one file

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 16. 2010 22:36

RobertJ/OZ [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Melbourne Australia Joined: Aug 14, 2006 02:26 Messages: 1209 Offline
[Post New]
Agree with all you have stated Fred, have you noticed that when uninstalling PDR9, it no longer asks if you want to uninstall SmartSound, as it did with all previous versions, not that I ever did.

Robert Intel i7 930, 16GB ram, Radeon HD 5770 1Gb,Ver. 14.12 Win7 64 bit
Intel i7 7700 HQ, 16 GB ram Nvidia GTX 1050Ti 4GB dual drives 1 TB SSD + 1 TB HDD Win 10

PDtoots
[Post New]
Does anyone know what happens to the shadow files after an un-install..do they go away and free up the disk space then get re-generated..Or do they remain..clogging up space???

With that CPU and Video memory limitation, Kim, you will want to leave those enabled!!
[Post New]
What a party we have going on here! Welcome, Robert.

Drivers, although I'm happy to have updated them, didn't directly help the snapshot problem. Moving on to fresh install in the morning. Energy waning...

I'll check in with you all tomorrow and answer remaining questions about camcorder files then. I'll let you know whether my shadow files remain or get trashed with a fresh install too, Fred.

Thanks for EVERYTHING, you guys. I feel like I have my own personal pit crew and none of you get paid what your worth. Raises for everyone!

[Post New]
Just don't sic that DOG on me...Gnight
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Kim,
OK, I have had what you've experienced - or a very similar event.

I save all my screenshots as .png

The cause is a weakened system and the hard drive (PC) being unable to process the save request resulting in a corrupt or not saved file.

In my case it was a slowly dying My Book raid 2x 1 TB External hard drives set up, not being able to process the info.

Check your HDD, you may have to replace - asap.

Dafydd

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Dec 17. 2010 09:08

[Post New]
Exactly, Dafydd! I did a diagnostic systems check for Microsoft Office, which was also acting up. Turns out the message there is the same as yours. I'm teetering on the brink of hard drive failure. I'm backing everything up as I type. If my machine survives through one more hour of file transfers, I should be safe.

I guess we can call this case closed. Obviously, my corrupt snapshot issue has nothing to do with PD9.

Ugh.
Thanks everybody, for you kind support.
I have two options left, to hang my technological woes by USB cable - which would only result in a ridiculous thud... or, buy a new and more powerful computer. Option two sounds like MUCH more fun.

Any suggestions for a laptop worthy of desktop replacement that can support PD9?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 17. 2010 11:40