Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
extend a shortened clip on the timeline - please reimplement
deBabba
Member Location: Frankfurt, Germany Joined: Nov 28, 2009 10:33 Messages: 88 Offline
[Post New]
with PD9 it is still possible to short any object like audio or video by dragging the right hand side to the left. This causes that the clip is shotended and the gap is closed automatically.
This is the fastest way of trimming and I can view all other tracks.

If I now recognize that the clip was shortened too much I cannot drag the right end of the clip to the correct position. So I am forced to open the Trim dialog and do it there. In this dialog there is no way to allign the clip length to other timeline objects like music because you only see the clip which is currently trimmed.

For me this is a massive step back in usability versus PD8 I7-860, 4GB RAM, ATI HD5770, Win7 64, PD9 latest patch, Canon HG10 1440x1080 16Mbit/s, WD TV player

Best regards from Frankfurt, Germany
Andy
All vodi
Senior Contributor Location: Canada Joined: Aug 21, 2009 11:24 Messages: 1431 Offline
[Post New]
At first your observation is correct : the new setup of PD9 seems a step backward. But, when you start taking advantage of the "open" editing timeline concept, you may find that it works very well, especially with complex editing scenarios. I went through the same analysis as yourself on my initial try of PD9 and did not like it at first. Now, I would not do without it. It is simply much more flexible. Win 10, i7
deBabba
Member Location: Frankfurt, Germany Joined: Nov 28, 2009 10:33 Messages: 88 Offline
[Post New]
I can see no reason why the system allows to shorten by dragging the end of an object (video or image) and does not accept the reverse action.

This is not logical and I cannot imagine any technical reason for this.

I7-860, 4GB RAM, ATI HD5770, Win7 64, PD9 latest patch, Canon HG10 1440x1080 16Mbit/s, WD TV player

Andy
Robert2 S
Senior Contributor Location: Australia Joined: Apr 22, 2009 05:57 Messages: 1461 Offline
[Post New]
You can drag the clip out and in as much as you like, you just have to make room on the timeline.

If the clip you have just shortened is butted up against the clip either behind or in front of it you have to highlight all of the clips to the end of the project and drag them to the right as far as needed to give you enough room to drag the clip out. My youtube channel====> http://www.youtube.com/user/relate2?feature=mhsn
deBabba
[Post New]
This exactly what I am forced to do now !
And I dont like this extra work without any benefit.
Lots of clicks for an easy thing which could be done with one ! I7-860, 4GB RAM, ATI HD5770, Win7 64, PD9 latest patch, Canon HG10 1440x1080 16Mbit/s, WD TV player

Andy
[Post New]
I'm with you, DeBabba. So many functions I used to use with ease in very little time, now give me carpal tunnel. The inability to drag clips to lengthen and shorten them (without pulling them out, adding space in the timeline and putting the back in) is just one.

Why can't we copy and paste transitions anymore? I'm adding clips, have to switch back to transitions, scroll through to choose my favorite (or pick one from my favorites menu) and then go back to clips only to do it all over again as I add more. SHOOT ME NOW. My wrist is is going to fall off.

I also hate the constant reworking as the sound shifts out from underneath the video because I've deleted a transition.

If I can no longer do what I used to do with speed and ease, what good are these "improvements in capability" that I've never cared to use? Ugh.

Yours in painful and growing frustration.