Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Thanks to everyone for their replies.

I am sure you guys who had the Beta version to check out did a job that was not only worthwhile but greatly appreciated by everyone who uses the program. It is re-assuring to know that new versions are being trialed by PD enthusiasts and not just pushy sales team, eager to get the program off the shelf.

I must concede to the fact that this Cyberlink forum is a useful help that I don't see available with the other video editing software programs. And as has been said, there are many available freebees that help to add to the enjoyment of the program.

One of the features that tempted me to the other side is the ability to run 2 or more 'Video' tracks alongside each other. I know, I am still a novice in this video editing What I was looking for is the ability to enter 2 VT tracks of the same event but from 2 different cameras / angles. Then to alternate which track is shown. Methinks this might be possible by utilising a Pip track!

I too am running windows 7 64 bit and would hope to see significant benefits from the upgrade. I think I will wait until the creases have been ironed out and the updated patched version is released. Any ideas on when this might be?
I have tried to question the sales team about this but like most web sale sites, reaching them is like getting through fort Knox.

Is this PD9 upgrade worth the money? I am disappointed at the cost of the upgrade from PD8. Having bought PD8 less than six months ago, I wouldn't have expected to pay as much again for the upgrade. By its very nature, it is an upgrade! I do appreciate development costs, but surely, with the customer base that Cyberlink has, they could have been more reasonable with their upgrade price.

I am now considering Adobe Premier Elements, which isn't that different in price but is favoured much more by professionals.
Hi, me again!

I have got myself into a bit of a muddle, which isn't hard to do

Rightly or wrongly, I believed that whatever images, sounds, video clips, I imported into my Powerdirector library, would remain there for future accessing. I carefully added new folders and named them appropriately. However, once I close the program down, I find that all the resources I imported are no longer there. Please bear with me.

Am I correct in saying I must import all the images and clips into the PD8 library from my own library every time I start a new project? I get this message that points me to a *pdl I take it this is powerdirector's library. Am I supposed to create this myself. I understand that the corresponding images, sounds etc will automatically enter the PD8 library for the project I open to work on.

As if you need further proof of how dumb I can be, it took me ages to realise that the effects in PD8 come in 4.3 and 6.9. So, when I installed the latest effects downloads, I sometimes couldn't find them, because they were hiding in whichever of the opposite formats I was working on at the time

When I import a Slideshow I have created with PD8, do I need to have all the images and background music for that slideshow in my PD Library?

Hope someone can help without getting frustrated with me
Some of the movies I have created or converted from VHS Tapes are longer than an hour and a half, which means they are too big to burn on to a 4.5 gbytes DVD. Of course the 8.5 gbytes blank DVDs are much more expensive. What I don't understand, is how do the professionals get a two or 3 hour movie onto a DVD?

I tend to save my work in mpeg 2 format with a DVD quality. Believing that this is the most space saving and only format that will replay on my household DVD player.

I know, I am such a helpless novice
Hi Tony,

with your help I am just about there. Many thanks.

Just a couple more queries on the subject. When dropping a video clip into the PiP track, it appears smaller than the Master track video. Is this normal?

I am now managing to overlap 2 clips with the 2nd coming through as the 1st is fading. However, how do I control the speed of the transition? I'm looking for a slow deliberate fading out and fading in process. As at the moment it is much too quick.

I'm a little confused on which Transparency control to use. The one that is available when the middle 'Path' effect is available or the one that is available when the 'Shape' effect is open

Your assistance is appreciated, Tony, and I will be checking out your tutorials.

Mikejoed
Thanks Tony, I'll give it try. It looks promising. It is the latter idea I am trying to achieve. Will let you know how I get on.
I think this PD8 is absolutely the Bees Knees!

I would like to create a split in my video footage, which is no problem. But then, I would like to overlap the last frames of the first part with the first frames of the 2nd half. The idea is to have the last frame of the 1st half fade out as the 1st frame of the 2nd half fades in. If I simply use the transition to fade out the last frame and fade in the first, they do it completely separately. And I do want to see the one fadeing and the other appearing within the same frame. I hope that makes sense to someone as I would appreciate your advice on how to accomplish this.

Many thanks in anticipation :
I am still in the 'feeling my way' novice stage with PD8, however, I think I have the gist of what you are attempting to do. That is, transfer VHS film directly in to your PD8 program. I am sure this is not possible through the normal means of using the software and feel sure it is only Digital that will transfer, for instance via a Camcorder.

As has been suggested, if you want to transfer VHS you will need something like Logilink's Video and Audio grabber, with it's USB adaptor.

I know this may be very crude, but if you are really desperate to transfer the footage to PD8, you could do as I have in the past. Run your VHS tape through your TV and set up your camcorder to record it as it is running. Crazy or what! But it works and as long as you set up your camera correctly, the copy is fairly acceptable. Just make sure you don't cough or make any noise whilst it is recording or it will come out on top of your original footage. Might be better, if you're able, and as suggested previously, if you can link your video directly to your camcorder.

Hope you find a solution
Many thanks for your Help Kevin. I'll give it a whirl and let you know if I suceed. Actually, you might even hear me as I shout from the rooftops how brilliant this program is!
I can't get my head around the fact that when I save my projects they are saved as PDS files, not as the MPEG or AVI options I have chosen to produce them in.

I am sure I have seen answers to this, clear as mud, on what format should be chosen for playing on a normal household DVD player.
If I can overcome the final hurdle of burning my movies to a DVD that will play on my home DVD player, I will shout it from the roof tops that this is an excellent video editing program
I know this may sound conflicting, but I wondered if there is a 'Transparent' background color board that can be downloaded or created? The reason I'm asking is so I can use it as a kind of 'spacer' without any color background. A little like a blank spacer that can be used in web design.
Go to: