Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Fitting longer projects on DVD
mikejoed [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 24, 2010 10:10 Messages: 12 Offline
[Post New]
Some of the movies I have created or converted from VHS Tapes are longer than an hour and a half, which means they are too big to burn on to a 4.5 gbytes DVD. Of course the 8.5 gbytes blank DVDs are much more expensive. What I don't understand, is how do the professionals get a two or 3 hour movie onto a DVD?

I tend to save my work in mpeg 2 format with a DVD quality. Believing that this is the most space saving and only format that will replay on my household DVD player.

I know, I am such a helpless novice Capture your precious moments in ways that will remain forever.
HalCon
Senior Contributor Location: Charlottetown, PEI Joined: Mar 01, 2008 10:36 Messages: 719 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Some of the movies I have created or converted from VHS Tapes are longer than an hour and a half, which means they are too big to burn on to a 4.5 gbytes DVD. Of course the 8.5 gbytes blank DVDs are much more expensive. What I don't understand, is how do the professionals get a two or 3 hour movie onto a DVD?

I tend to save my work in mpeg 2 format with a DVD quality. Believing that this is the most space saving and only format that will replay on my household DVD player.

I know, I am such a helpless novice

I have a DVD Burner connected to my TV that I can record up to 3 hours of programing. I sometimes use it to record Hockey games. The quality of these recordings is very low when recording this amount of footage.

In the Create Disc module you have three options for the quaity of the DVD that you burn (see attachment). The quality chosen determines that length of the video you can put on the DVD.

You can see in the attachment that the lower quality setting is about 1/2 the size of the HQ setting. I am afraid I cannot elaborate on the technical details of how this is accomplished though.

Hal
[Thumb - DVDQuality.png]
 Filename
DVDQuality.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
80 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
164 time(s)
OS - Win11 Pro, Alienware R13, CPU - Intel Core I7-12700KF 12 CPUs), 16g DDR5 4400 RAM, Video - Geeforce RTX 3080ti 12g, PD11 & PD365
My YouTube
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
What I don't understand, is how do the professionals get a two or 3 hour movie onto a DVD?
Professional codec packs for MPEG are much better than consumer grade packages like PD8. However, if you want a professional package you better have some bucks to spend on software. Virtually all DVD's from the industry are DL and have been for some time.

Jeff
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Of course the 8.5 gbytes blank DVDs are much more expensive.

I have seen that statement many times. I just do not think that is true.

Order on line, TDK 8.5GB 8X DVD+R DL 25 Packs Disc Model 48973 - OEM for $17.99 with free shipping on this date.

Compare to TDK 4.7GB 16X DVD+R 25 Packs Disc Model 48508 for $8.49 + $6.98 shipping = $15.47. after you pay the shipping DL disks cost $2.52 more.

DL disks are $0.72 each.
Single layer disks are $0.62 each after shipping.

It depends on where you buy your disks and on what brand.
And if you buy multiple packs or single disks.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 03. 2010 10:25

Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.