Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Overlapping screens
mikejoed [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 24, 2010 10:10 Messages: 12 Offline
[Post New]
I think this PD8 is absolutely the Bees Knees!

I would like to create a split in my video footage, which is no problem. But then, I would like to overlap the last frames of the first part with the first frames of the 2nd half. The idea is to have the last frame of the 1st half fade out as the 1st frame of the 2nd half fades in. If I simply use the transition to fade out the last frame and fade in the first, they do it completely separately. And I do want to see the one fadeing and the other appearing within the same frame. I hope that makes sense to someone as I would appreciate your advice on how to accomplish this.

Many thanks in anticipation :

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 16. 2010 08:31

Capture your precious moments in ways that will remain forever.
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi mikejoed -

I'm not sure whether you're talking about an overlapping split screen, where the clips appear sided-by-side, or a simple fade from one clip into the other, which has both (full screen) clips visible for a few frames...

PD can probably do what you're after. Could you please clarify?

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
mikejoed [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks Tony, I'll give it try. It looks promising. It is the latter idea I am trying to achieve. Will let you know how I get on. Capture your precious moments in ways that will remain forever.
mikejoed [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Tony,

with your help I am just about there. Many thanks.

Just a couple more queries on the subject. When dropping a video clip into the PiP track, it appears smaller than the Master track video. Is this normal?

I am now managing to overlap 2 clips with the 2nd coming through as the 1st is fading. However, how do I control the speed of the transition? I'm looking for a slow deliberate fading out and fading in process. As at the moment it is much too quick.

I'm a little confused on which Transparency control to use. The one that is available when the middle 'Path' effect is available or the one that is available when the 'Shape' effect is open

Your assistance is appreciated, Tony, and I will be checking out your tutorials.

Mikejoed Capture your precious moments in ways that will remain forever.
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Mike,
Please try and test out the controls available in PiP Designer.

Look for the key frame markers and adjust accordingly - MOVE THEM, so you can see the change on the Fade IN/OUT.

Dafydd
Kevin R.
Contributor Location: Deep in the Heart of Texas Joined: Aug 17, 2010 15:58 Messages: 320 Offline
[Post New]
I use the PiP tools quite a lot in my stuff for fading in and out. I use a black color board in the main video track and add all my video clips into the PiP tracks and can do all sorts of fading techniques. I hope this will help you!

Kevin R.
[Thumb - Fading for clips.png]
 Filename
Fading for clips.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
661 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
161 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jul 05. 2011 01:24

Saving the world, one goofy video and meme at a time.
Kevin R.
Contributor Location: Deep in the Heart of Texas Joined: Aug 17, 2010 15:58 Messages: 320 Offline
[Post New]
We've got a spammer! Saving the world, one goofy video and meme at a time.
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
AleciaOlivier
Your post has been removed. This is the second spam message you've posted on the forum. CyberLink Admin have been informed.
Kevin R.
[Post New]
Did using the PiP option help at all? Also, as far as the size difference, you can manually expand the PiP clip by dragging the sides or corners of the box to fit. You can also do that in the modify area as well. Just highlight the clip and click the modify tab and adjust it there if you prefer.

Good Luck!
Kevin R. Saving the world, one goofy video and meme at a time.