Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Newbie - Help me Decide Please
Kevin66 [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Chicago, IL Joined: Aug 23, 2010 12:07 Messages: 29 Offline
[Post New]
I've been trialing PowerDirector 8.0 and would love some input from experienced users.

First Impressions:

Fast - I can't believe the rendering speed... granted I have a very fast PC but this thing is quick!

Small Footprint - Adobe and Corel are HUGE hogs, over 1 GIG plus for extra templates, etc

Stable - I haven't tried to "break" it, but I haven't had one glitch yet.

Easy to use - I did a simple 10 minute family move in no time with titles, transitions, effects, etc.

I'm not big on Premiere Elements, it seems slow and cumbersome. Likewise for Corel X3, it crashed twice and actually pauses when I go to the timeline. Vegas is good but it's too slow navigating the interface and getting to more complex features.

Questions:

Overall, how does PD8 perform over a period of a few months? What do you like, don't like? Any rumblings on PD9? Does anyone have the entire suite with photo editing and the full DVD package? Is it worth the extra $$?

Thanks in advance!
Kevin
Windows 7 Home Premium - 64 Bit
Intel I7 930 (overclocked 3.6)
RAID 0 WD Caviar Black 2GIG, WD Green 1GIG (Backup)
8 GIG Corsair RAM
NVIDIA 1GIG GTX 460
Cap'n Kevin
Senior Contributor Location: Chebeague Island, Maine Joined: Dec 26, 2008 20:22 Messages: 2011 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Kevin,

I think you will find that there are some editors (myself included) in this forum that use multiple video editing software programs. But I primarily use PD8 to edit all my videos. I have found that it does what I need it to do. In this forum, since it is owned by Cyberlink, it is not usual practice to compare other software titles showing there strengths and weaknesses. We all know they exist.

But I will tell you that I really enjoy using Power Director 8 Ultra. For me it has a great User Interface and I found it easy to learn and to use. If I was going to suggest anything to you, it would be to purchase the FULL version of PD8 in either the Deluxe version or Ultra version. The only major difference is that the Ultra version allows Blu-Ray and AVCHD (HD content on a DVD playable on a Blu-Ray player) disc creation.

It sounds to me like you are figuring out how to use PD8 and it sounds like your PC is handing what you are throwing at it. If you do get stuck, the forum is filled with answers to lots of common questions. If you can't find an answer using the "Search" then post a new question and there are lots of forum members that would be happy to assist you.

Good Luck!

Kevin

Check out PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials and more! Over 5,000 Subscribers.
Kevin66 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks. I think I will buy the Ultra version.

I noticed you have two ATI cards. I have one 5770... do two help for video editing or did you choose that config primarily for gaming?

Do you RAID 0 your hard drives for video?

I have an i7 930 homebuilt (3.36 overclock), 8MG RAM and a single WD Caviar Black 1T hard drive. Windows 7 Home Premium - 64 Bit
8 GIG Corsair RAM
NVIDIA 1GIG GTX 460
Cap'n Kevin
Senior Contributor Location: Chebeague Island, Maine Joined: Dec 26, 2008 20:22 Messages: 2011 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Kevin,

I noticed you have two ATI cards. I have one 5770... do two help for video editing or did you choose that config primarily for gaming?

The answer is yes to both...It speeds up my rendering and I do play games that have a crossfire enabled feature in them. If you do plan to add another 5770 card to your system the additional wattage that it consumes is pretty small, but worth checking if you need a more powerful Power Supply. And with ATI Catalyst you can also overclock the 5770's in crossfire. I have boosted the performance by a modest 10%.

Do you RAID 0 your hard drives for video?

I don't...but probably should. I have all my video on an internal 1TB SATA hard drive and sync to an external 1TB hard drive.

Regards,

Kevin
Kevin R.
Contributor Location: Deep in the Heart of Texas Joined: Aug 17, 2010 15:58 Messages: 320 Offline
[Post New]
I've tried many others my self and found PD8 to have all the things I want, along with a good price and very helpful and friendly folks to help you in the forums, even if you have to bribe them with chicken gizzard macaroons. (Nod to the Capt.) Saving the world, one goofy video and meme at a time.
Kevin66 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks much. Windows 7 Home Premium - 64 Bit
8 GIG Corsair RAM
NVIDIA 1GIG GTX 460
mikejoed [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 24, 2010 10:10 Messages: 12 Offline
[Post New]
If I can overcome the final hurdle of burning my movies to a DVD that will play on my home DVD player, I will shout it from the roof tops that this is an excellent video editing program Capture your precious moments in ways that will remain forever.
Cap'n Kevin
[Post New]
mikejoed wrote:

If I can overcome the final hurdle of burning my movies to a DVD that will play on my home DVD player, I will shout it from the roof tops that this is an excellent video editing program

Can you provide some details about the Burning to disc problem? I am sure we can help. I looked up the 1 topic you started and it wasn't DVD burning related. I am sure we can give you some ideas to get your disc burned.

Regards,
Kevin

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 26. 2010 10:50

mikejoed [Avatar]
[Post New]
I can't get my head around the fact that when I save my projects they are saved as PDS files, not as the MPEG or AVI options I have chosen to produce them in.

I am sure I have seen answers to this, clear as mud, on what format should be chosen for playing on a normal household DVD player. Capture your precious moments in ways that will remain forever.
Cap'n Kevin
[Post New]
Hi there,

I get it...it can be confusing.

1. You have your project open with everything on the timeline...project complete and ready to go.
2. Select the CREATE DISC tab...select DVD in the DISC PREFERENCES TAB.
3. Set up the Video preferences...DVD HQ...audio settings...etc. etc.
4. Select a menu if desired in the MENU PREFERENCES TAB.
5. Select BURN pick the drive you are using....then select START BURNING.

If these steps don't work for you then follow up with a reply.

Regards,

Kevin
Cap'n Kevin
[Post New]
I am sure I have seen answers to this, clear as mud, on what format should be chosen for playing on a normal household DVD player.

Sorry, I forgot to answer this specific question. A standard DVD contains a mpeg-2 video file which is formatted to play on a standard DVD player with the proper folder structure.

So if you have ANY other type of video file...avi..mov...m2ts...etc. etc. and you BURN it to a DVD...the video file is changed (encoded) to a mpeg-2 video file, mpeg-1 might be included in this...but I am not sure.

Regards,

KEvin
mikejoed [Avatar]
[Post New]
Many thanks for your Help Kevin. I'll give it a whirl and let you know if I suceed. Actually, you might even hear me as I shout from the rooftops how brilliant this program is! Capture your precious moments in ways that will remain forever.