Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
I just used this mklink command to move my SmartSound directory to my E:\ drive and it worked perfectly.
Quote: Tony/Lars,

By luck (I'm no technician) I copied the NewBlue folder from my D:\ drive to C:\Program Files\CyberLink\Shared files\Plugin. Now I have C:\Program Files\CyberLink\Shared files\Plugin\NewBlue. The NewBlue Art Effects are now accessible from the Effects drop-down menu in PowerDirector.
I don't know why but I'm going to leave it at that while I'm ahead.
Thanks for your help, Tony.
Terry

I had to do the same thing as Terry quoted above in order to see the NewBlue plugins in PD10. Like Terry, I have PD10 installed to my E:\ drive instead of my C:\ drive (it's a small SSD and I want to conserve the space on it).

I wonder if there are any other files that may be missing due to not installing on C:?
I just purchased and installed PD10 Ultra and want to get all my settings correct before I start using it. I did a search on the forums but didn't find a definitive answer. Given my system in my signature, this is what I have selected in preferences:

Program PD10 Ultra 64 ver:1129b
Preferences:---
Hardware Acceleration:
Enable OpenCL Technology: Selected.
Enable Hardware Decoding: Selected

Produce:
Reduce Video Blocky (SSE4): Selected
H.264 SVRT on single IDR H.264 Video: Unchecked

Is this correct? Has the H.264 issue been fixed or does it still result in poor transitions if selected?

Thanks for all the help thus far!
Quote:

Thanks Bubba. I've been using the trial for about 10 days now. No problems so far. Hopefully the full version will work the same.
Quote: ..... If you have to re-install PD10, you have to instal PD8/9 first, activate with old key, load PD10 upgrade, active it with new key. Wonderful isn't it ?

ugh, that's what I was afraid of!

What a bummer. Seems to me that having the key should really be enough. Oh well, I guess I have to think about what I want to do.

Thanks for the quick answers.
I installed PD8 on this new computer and it doesn't run well at all for some reason. It is very slow. I uninstalled it once I had the PD10 trial running and saw that it was much faster on my machine than PD8. I really have no interest in reinstalling PD8 at this point. I've seen conflicting reports of whether I need to have PD8 installed or just enter the serial key during the install of PD10 upgrade? I guess that is my real question. I don't want to always have to install PD8 before I install PD10 upgrade.
I have PD 8 Retail and have been using the try of PD10 and would like to purchase the full version. The upgrade price is lower than buying a full version of PD10. I have a couple of questions.

1. Will I need to reinstall PD8 before installing the upgrade or do I just enter my serial key from PD8 during the install?
2. Is there any advantage to buying the full version over the upgrade?

Thanks
Pix, those presets are really cool. Thanks for educating me on the concept of these, PIX and DLS. I wasn't familiar with presets before. Really cool.

I'll give Photodirector 3 a trial run and see how it works for me as soon as I have a chance.
Ok, those are great replies. I guess I wasn't looking for comparison so much as "will this fit my needs". Since photodirector is so new I was looking for some input from users if it would fit my requirements. Thanks for the review links, seems to have a favorable reception. I guess the trial is really the only way to know if it will work for want I want it to do. I was just hoping to narrow the field a bit based on inputs from the folks here. I'm not sure how to use "presets" but thanks for mentioning them, DLS, so I will educate myself on that. I like the idea of easy editing and improving of my photos. Any more inputs are appreciated. Thanks again for the comments.
I'm currently using Picasa to manage and edit my photos. I'm a casual photographer with an interest in preserving family photos and taking pictures of my growing children. I enjoy making movies with PowerDirector that feature photos and videos and often need to edit the photos I work with. Brightening, adjusting colors, cropping, resizing, touching up and removing items, adding borders etc, are all things I need to do to the photos before putting them in my movies.

I'm currently using the 30 day trial of Paintshop Pro X4 and I find it to be capable but also the interface is not very friendly and it is also pretty clunky and slow. I have the home version of Zoner Photostudio 14 which is MUCH faster and easier to work with than Paintshop but doesn't have as many features.

I'm a little perplexed at which product is the best....just when I thought I had a list of programs to try out, (Zoner Photostudio 14 Pro version, Photoshop Elements or Lightroom) I see Photodirector 3 is now available. Any help would be appreciated. I know there are trials for these programs but I really don't have the time to do 5 trials and would like to narrow my search a bit.
I have a desktop (win 7, 64 bit, 8gb, i870) but my C:\ drive is a 50 GB SSD with about 15gb free space on it.

I have two Hard Drives in my case that are both 1TB with lots of space on them.

I own PD8 ultra retail but haven't installed it on this computer yet. I am thinking of getting 10 ultra in order to take advantage of the 64bit speeds of my new computer.

HDedit, could that 10gb be via a symbolic link to a drive other than C:\ As mentioned above?
RichardAu, good suggestion. I googled and found an explanation of how to do it here at MaximumPC (http://www.maximumpc.com/article/howtos/howto_master_your_file_system_mklink).

Has anyone had success with this?
Hmm, that kind of stinks. My SSD has 15 gb free right now. How much room do you think PD 10 needs to work correctly (64 Bit win 7, fast system).

Thanks in advance. I was going to get the upgrade today for the lowered price, but I've been reading lots of people having problems with 10....not sure what to do.
I have a small SSD for my C:\ drive and it only has about 15 gb free space on it. Before I upgrade to PD 10 from 8, I want to make sure none of the files need to be located on my C:\ drive. I want to install it on my E:\ drive which has lots of free space. Also, does PD put files on the C:\ drive even if it isn't installed there?

Thanks
Hi Cranston, thanks alot. Your replies are very helpful and detailed. I really appreciate it. I will do exactly as you said and also organize my future projects as you do!!
Cranston, thanks for the quick reply. So all I need are the saved .pds files? There aren't any working files or anything that will be needed to open those .pds files on a new install? I also downloaded some menus from director zone. Will I need to redownload those or are they stored somewhere.

Sorry to have so many questions but I spent hours working on those movies and would be miserable if I had to try to recreate it.
I'm new to video editing and PD8 and having fun. I've been using the free trial and have ordered the Retail PD8 Ultra version (on it's way via the mail). From what I have been able to gather from the forums, I will need to completely UNISTALL PD8 Trial and then reinstall the retail version using my CD and the key that comes with it. I have been using the trial and making movies/projects which I will want to continue to work on with the new installation. What do I need to do to transfer it all? Also, where does PD8 keep all it's working files and folders? Can someone help?
Go to: