Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Install to other than C:\ ?
[Post New]
I have a small SSD for my C:\ drive and it only has about 15 gb free space on it. Before I upgrade to PD 10 from 8, I want to make sure none of the files need to be located on my C:\ drive. I want to install it on my E:\ drive which has lots of free space. Also, does PD put files on the C:\ drive even if it isn't installed there?

Thanks Still Learning PD and the world of HD video and digicams...and photo organizing and editing!
i870, 8gb, ti560, Win7, 64bit OS
Bubba in TX
Senior Contributor Location: Central Texas Joined: Dec 12, 2009 21:32 Messages: 1332 Offline
[Post New]
Like most software you can "install" it just about anywhere you want, but it still does all it's "business" on "C" drive.... and it will still install things on your "C" drive....

However there are those in here that have found the small SSD drives just don't cut it..... You can download the trial and see...

I wish you luck.... __________________________________________
Windows 8 Pro 64 bit

CyberLink PowerDirector 10 Tutorials
PDtoots PowerDirector Tutorials

**NOTICE**
When you are asked to provide a DXDIAG you go the following link and do part "B". Your posted specs are NOT what we are looking for as they tell us nothing. The specs on the box of your computer mean nothing. The DXDIAG shows us how your computer is configured as it runs.

DXDIAG Link
[Post New]
Hmm, that kind of stinks. My SSD has 15 gb free right now. How much room do you think PD 10 needs to work correctly (64 Bit win 7, fast system).

Thanks in advance. I was going to get the upgrade today for the lowered price, but I've been reading lots of people having problems with 10....not sure what to do. Still Learning PD and the world of HD video and digicams...and photo organizing and editing!
James1
Senior Contributor Location: Surrey, B.C., Canada Joined: Jun 10, 2010 16:20 Messages: 1783 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,
Not an authority, but reading the forum for the last few months SSD drives have given a lot of problems for members. Power Director need a lot of space on C drive for temp/Cache files up to 100Gb(?)..
jim Intel i7-2600@3.4Gz Geforce 560ti-1GB Graphic accelerator, windows 7 Premium 12GB memory

Visit GranPapa64's channel for your YouTube experience of the day!
RichardAu [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 23, 2012 16:49 Messages: 10 Offline
[Post New]
Just an idea,
If you are using Windows 7 perhaps you can put a junction point (a link) in your 'C' drive for PD10 that points to your E drive. Google for symbolic links and file junctions
[Post New]
RichardAu, good suggestion. I googled and found an explanation of how to do it here at MaximumPC (http://www.maximumpc.com/article/howtos/howto_master_your_file_system_mklink).

Has anyone had success with this? Still Learning PD and the world of HD video and digicams...and photo organizing and editing!
All vodi
Senior Contributor Location: Canada Joined: Aug 21, 2009 11:24 Messages: 1431 Offline
[Post New]
It looks like you may not have edited HD video before. To edit a simple AVCHD (or BD) type of video, PD (and similar apps) needs at least 10 Gbytes of disc space per 1 hour of video being rendered. And speed is important. Otherwise you'll be having a lot of coffee breaks between edits. Win 10, i7
[Post New]
HDedit, could that 10gb be via a symbolic link to a drive other than C:\ As mentioned above?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 21. 2012 21:47

Still Learning PD and the world of HD video and digicams...and photo organizing and editing!
All vodi
Senior Contributor Location: Canada Joined: Aug 21, 2009 11:24 Messages: 1431 Offline
[Post New]
Most of the editors in this forum I believe use the same drive (partition) for both the app as well as the data. I suggest that you wait to see what responses you get to this thread. There are a good number of active members who may have tried the configuration that you are attempting. PD10 runs very well (better than all previous releases) on a fast, high capacity PC. If yours is in that category then you'll do fine. It sounds like you have a laptop or netbook as the primary PC. If that is the case it won't do well with PD10. Stick to Pd8. Win 10, i7
[Post New]
I have a desktop (win 7, 64 bit, 8gb, i870) but my C:\ drive is a 50 GB SSD with about 15gb free space on it.

I have two Hard Drives in my case that are both 1TB with lots of space on them.

I own PD8 ultra retail but haven't installed it on this computer yet. I am thinking of getting 10 ultra in order to take advantage of the 64bit speeds of my new computer.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Feb 21. 2012 22:39

Still Learning PD and the world of HD video and digicams...and photo organizing and editing!
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
Quote:
It sounds like you have a laptop or netbook as the primary PC. If that is the case it won't do well with PD10. Stick to Pd8.

I use an i7 laptop with excellent success, properly equipped laptops/notebooks work fine, but not any old desktop will do either.
My little DM1 works, too, but sometimes I gotta go get a coffee! Whatever the hardware, it's gotta have some horsies for a fun experience. HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT