Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Upgrade or Full Purchase? Any difference?
[Post New]
I have PD 8 Retail and have been using the try of PD10 and would like to purchase the full version. The upgrade price is lower than buying a full version of PD10. I have a couple of questions.

1. Will I need to reinstall PD8 before installing the upgrade or do I just enter my serial key from PD8 during the install?
2. Is there any advantage to buying the full version over the upgrade?

Thanks Still Learning PD and the world of HD video and digicams...and photo organizing and editing!
i870, 8gb, ti560, Win7, 64bit OS
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
G'day Shredman -

Purchasing the upgrade version will require the presence of a current version. Though I've not done that, I believe the correct procedure is to use you current version's activation key - PD8.

The advantage of purchasing the full stand-alone version is that you can run both versions on the same PC. For me, that's an advantage because I can use PD9 in circumstances where PD10 doesn't do what it's told!!!

I would always recommend purchasing the FULL PD10 Ultra version.

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
[Post New]
I installed PD8 on this new computer and it doesn't run well at all for some reason. It is very slow. I uninstalled it once I had the PD10 trial running and saw that it was much faster on my machine than PD8. I really have no interest in reinstalling PD8 at this point. I've seen conflicting reports of whether I need to have PD8 installed or just enter the serial key during the install of PD10 upgrade? I guess that is my real question. I don't want to always have to install PD8 before I install PD10 upgrade.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 05. 2012 16:32

Still Learning PD and the world of HD video and digicams...and photo organizing and editing!
All vodi
Senior Contributor Location: Canada Joined: Aug 21, 2009 11:24 Messages: 1431 Offline
[Post New]
I've upgraded to PD10. The upgrade requires the presence of PD8 or 9 even though it totally erases it. PD10 uses a NEW activation key. If you have to re-install PD10, you have to instal PD8/9 first, activate with old key, load PD10 upgrade, active it with new key. Wonderful isn't it ? Win 10, i7
[Post New]
Quote: ..... If you have to re-install PD10, you have to instal PD8/9 first, activate with old key, load PD10 upgrade, active it with new key. Wonderful isn't it ?

ugh, that's what I was afraid of!

What a bummer. Seems to me that having the key should really be enough. Oh well, I guess I have to think about what I want to do.

Thanks for the quick answers. Still Learning PD and the world of HD video and digicams...and photo organizing and editing!
All vodi
Senior Contributor Location: Canada Joined: Aug 21, 2009 11:24 Messages: 1431 Offline
[Post New]
If you have a fast enough PC the entire process takes less than 10 minutes and the result is worth the lesser cost. Win 10, i7
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
Cost aside, if you buy a new program, the multiple paths to the upgrade is utterly ridiculous and consumer-hostile.
I mean, I love PD, but the corporate NASTIES are not as loveable. HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
Bubba in TX
Senior Contributor Location: Central Texas Joined: Dec 12, 2009 21:32 Messages: 1332 Offline
[Post New]

CyberLink PowerDirector 10 Tutorials
PDtoots PowerDirector Tutorials

**NOTICE**
When you are asked to provide a DXDIAG you go the following link and do part "B". Your posted specs are NOT what we are looking for as they tell us nothing. The specs on the box of your computer mean nothing. The DXDIAG shows us how your computer is configured as it runs.

DXDIAG Link
[Post New]
Quote:

Thanks Bubba. I've been using the trial for about 10 days now. No problems so far. Hopefully the full version will work the same. Still Learning PD and the world of HD video and digicams...and photo organizing and editing!
babindia
Senior Contributor Location: India Joined: Aug 16, 2007 06:11 Messages: 884 Offline
[Post New]
Shredman
Making a clean install is quicker and safer than upgrading
as you do not intend to use PD8. PC specs :
OS Windows 10.0 Pro
MB - AS rock Z77 extreme 11
Intel 3770K @ 4.0 Ghz OC
Gskill 32 GB RAM 1800 Mhz
6 TB HDD, SSD bootable
nVidia ASUS GTX 660 Ti
BenQ 22" LCD monitor 1920x1080

ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hey Shredman -

The good news is that the purchased version, whether you opt for the upgrade or the full installation, works better! The trial version has a number of limitations http://www.cyberlink.com/downloads/trials/powerdirector/download_en_AU.html

You would have worked that out already.

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
Bubba in TX
Senior Contributor Location: Central Texas Joined: Dec 12, 2009 21:32 Messages: 1332 Offline
[Post New]
The upgrade will replace PD8 and is you need to reinstall PD10 you will have to install PD8 again first or supply CD key..

If you spend the extra and get the full blown version you can have noth installed and no need for previous anything.

I bought the upgrade... BIG MISTAKE.... then bought the full version....

CyberLink PowerDirector 10 Tutorials
PDtoots PowerDirector Tutorials

**NOTICE**
When you are asked to provide a DXDIAG you go the following link and do part "B". Your posted specs are NOT what we are looking for as they tell us nothing. The specs on the box of your computer mean nothing. The DXDIAG shows us how your computer is configured as it runs.

DXDIAG Link