Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Ok, thanks. I sure hope they can!
I sent this question in to support but I thought I'd try here too since the family would like to watch a BR tonight and I haven't heard anything back.

I had PDVD8 Ultra and recently had a hard drive fail. I've rebuilt the OS and applications on a new drive, but found I don't have the original PDVD8 installer anymore. I figured since I do have the the unlock key I might as well upgrade to the latest.

But the v11 upgrade will not install without a previous version already installed. I tried restoring the \Program Files\Cyberlink" folder from backup but that didn't help.

Anyone know how to get around this? I'm a registered owner of a previous version (and can prove it with my key) and it seems like that should be enough (to me anyway).

Thanks!
Quote: Do you think that maybe you have a HW performance issue using the integrated chipset? I built a movie "server" based on the same chipset with a bit faster processor for my parents and I also had some audio stuttering issues from time to time which I had never seen before on my own system that was basically a mirror sw load but I have a dedicated video card. I know the 3200 is a very capable performer for what it is but I've also read some reviews saying that BR playback with that chipset is just barely capable. Have you tried disabling any of the image enhancement features built-in to the video chipset or SW that could be adding an extra strain?

I also wonder if it could be something like that. Maybe they Windows driver or other overhead-causing features make this chipset not perform as well on Win7. But it does seem strange some BR discs play well and some just don't.

I tried disabling all the extra ATI effects, and turning HW acceleration off and back on.

I'm keeping an eye out out for a good fanless half height card, but I'd love to not have to buy one.

Thanks,
Matt
Quote: Did you try to disable the antivirus or put PowerDVD on the Antivirus whitelist? I had the stuttering playback issue with the PowerDVD 7.3 and instant crashes with the PowerDVD 9 Ultra on my BitDefender 2010 Antivirus machines under Windows XP Pro SP3 as well and corrected both issues by placing each PowerDVD exe file on the antivirus white list (for PowerDVD 9 Ultra the file to which the desktop launcher is linked should be placed on the white list as well, I don't remember the file name right now; right click the desktop link, click properties and see the name and location, should be in the same location as the PowerDVD 9 exe file).

And do not forget to restart your machine after the antivirus setup modifications (I had to in my case).

Regards,

Stefan

Thanks for the suggestion but it still stutters.
Quote: Arcsoft TotalMediaTheatre 3 is extremely good and still supports HDDVD. It also integrates with MediaCentre rather than launching as a console like powerDVD.

Not sure when bitstreaming for the HD5xxx card will come from them, however the Asus Xonar HDAV 1.3 still outputs HD Bitstream with TMT3.

@OP.... I couldn't agree more, albian has almost cracked PAP protection for use within MPC-HC and FFDShow tryouts Audio decoder. I'll be trying this tonight when I get home

I'm downloading the trial version to try out this weekend. I'll report back on whether or not it plays the stuttery movies smoothly in case anyone is wondering.
Wow, that is exciting! I love their VirtualCloneDrive product.

Hopefully CyberLink can get PDVD working for me in the mean time since they already have my money and I have movies I'd really like to watch!
Are there any viable alternatives to PowerDVD for BR playback on a Windows7 x64 Media Center box? I was hesitant to pay for the upgrade from 8 which wasn't working to 9 but after a little Googling it looks like I didn't have any other choices so I but the bullet and paid. Now I can get some movies to play but not all. I just want something that works and preferably integrates into Media Center. I'm all ears!
I just upgraded from the OEM PowerDVD8 to PowerDVD9 Ultra. I was having trouble getting version 8 to play on my x64 Windows 7 Enterprise Edition. I decided that it was worth the money to just make this work.

Now that I've upgraded the title I originally had trouble with plays fine. But I got another dvd from Netflix yesterday (Nature's Most Amazing Events) and it technically plays but the picture is very stuttery making it unwatchable.

My htpc setup is:

ASUS M3A78-EM (with onboard ATI Radeon HD 3200 video)
AMD Athlon X2 4850e 2.5GHz
6 GB DDR800 RAM
LITEON iHOS104-06 4X SATA Blu-Ray Reader
Windows 7 x64 Enterprise
I connect to the TV from DVI output and to the stereo from the optical output.
Microsoft Security Essentials antivirus

PowerDVD and the OS are up-to-date with the latest updates.

It seems from everything I read this should give me smooth Blu Ray playback but it does not. What can I do to correct it?
Thanks!

Matt
Well, I just wanted my movies to play so I threw some money at the problem with an upgrade to PowerDVD9. While things have improved and I can play the title that was giving me problems with PowerDVD8, another title now has jittery playback. I'm starting a new thread on that.
I have the above combo on my htpc. PowerDVD came with a SATA LiteOn BR reader I recently added. I installed PowerDVD uneventfully and it successfully updated it's self right away.

My first BD disc from NetFlix was Dragon Hunters and it played fine. So I tried to watch my second movie, Dolphons:IMAX (http://www.netflix.com/Movie/Dolphins_IMAX/60000425?trkid=1277260) and it doesn't want to play.

If I have the disc in when I start MediaCenter the title is correctly identified so it seems to be reading the disc ok to some extent at least. If I try to make it play in PowerDVD, I just get a black or blue blank screen. One time I got a little bit of audio without any picture. I have tried cleaning, reinserting, and setting PowerDVD to always start DVDs from the beginning.
Also, if I set it to prompt to restart or resume, I never get the prompt on this disc. At the moment is it my only BR disc as I do not own any so I cann't try a different one.

Any suggestions for me? Thanks!
Go to: