Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Stuttering playback
MattB [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 02, 2009 13:23 Messages: 10 Offline
[Post New]
I just upgraded from the OEM PowerDVD8 to PowerDVD9 Ultra. I was having trouble getting version 8 to play on my x64 Windows 7 Enterprise Edition. I decided that it was worth the money to just make this work.

Now that I've upgraded the title I originally had trouble with plays fine. But I got another dvd from Netflix yesterday (Nature's Most Amazing Events) and it technically plays but the picture is very stuttery making it unwatchable.

My htpc setup is:

ASUS M3A78-EM (with onboard ATI Radeon HD 3200 video)
AMD Athlon X2 4850e 2.5GHz
6 GB DDR800 RAM
LITEON iHOS104-06 4X SATA Blu-Ray Reader
Windows 7 x64 Enterprise
I connect to the TV from DVI output and to the stereo from the optical output.
Microsoft Security Essentials antivirus

PowerDVD and the OS are up-to-date with the latest updates.

It seems from everything I read this should give me smooth Blu Ray playback but it does not. What can I do to correct it?
Thanks!

Matt
JEFFREY [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 24, 2009 05:11 Messages: 8 Offline
[Post New]
I am having this issue too.
STEFAN [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 03, 2009 08:03 Messages: 8 Offline
[Post New]
Did you try to disable the antivirus or put PowerDVD on the Antivirus whitelist? I had the stuttering playback issue with the PowerDVD 7.3 and instant crashes with the PowerDVD 9 Ultra on my BitDefender 2010 Antivirus machines under Windows XP Pro SP3 as well and corrected both issues by placing each PowerDVD exe file on the antivirus white list (for PowerDVD 9 Ultra the file to which the desktop launcher is linked should be placed on the white list as well, I don't remember the file name right now; right click the desktop link, click properties and see the name and location, should be in the same location as the PowerDVD 9 exe file).

And do not forget to restart your machine after the antivirus setup modifications (I had to in my case).

Regards,

Stefan

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 05. 2009 06:11

MattB [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: Did you try to disable the antivirus or put PowerDVD on the Antivirus whitelist? I had the stuttering playback issue with the PowerDVD 7.3 and instant crashes with the PowerDVD 9 Ultra on my BitDefender 2010 Antivirus machines under Windows XP Pro SP3 as well and corrected both issues by placing each PowerDVD exe file on the antivirus white list (for PowerDVD 9 Ultra the file to which the desktop launcher is linked should be placed on the white list as well, I don't remember the file name right now; right click the desktop link, click properties and see the name and location, should be in the same location as the PowerDVD 9 exe file).

And do not forget to restart your machine after the antivirus setup modifications (I had to in my case).

Regards,

Stefan

Thanks for the suggestion but it still stutters.
Dan [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 24, 2009 16:15 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
Do you think that maybe you have a HW performance issue using the integrated chipset? I built a movie "server" based on the same chipset with a bit faster processor for my parents and I also had some audio stuttering issues from time to time which I had never seen before on my own system that was basically a mirror sw load but I have a dedicated video card. I know the 3200 is a very capable performer for what it is but I've also read some reviews saying that BR playback with that chipset is just barely capable. Have you tried disabling any of the image enhancement features built-in to the video chipset or SW that could be adding an extra strain?
MattB [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: Do you think that maybe you have a HW performance issue using the integrated chipset? I built a movie "server" based on the same chipset with a bit faster processor for my parents and I also had some audio stuttering issues from time to time which I had never seen before on my own system that was basically a mirror sw load but I have a dedicated video card. I know the 3200 is a very capable performer for what it is but I've also read some reviews saying that BR playback with that chipset is just barely capable. Have you tried disabling any of the image enhancement features built-in to the video chipset or SW that could be adding an extra strain?

I also wonder if it could be something like that. Maybe they Windows driver or other overhead-causing features make this chipset not perform as well on Win7. But it does seem strange some BR discs play well and some just don't.

I tried disabling all the extra ATI effects, and turning HW acceleration off and back on.

I'm keeping an eye out out for a good fanless half height card, but I'd love to not have to buy one.

Thanks,
Matt

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 08. 2009 18:34

STEFAN [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 03, 2009 08:03 Messages: 8 Offline
[Post New]
On one of my machines I had to effectively uninstall the antivirus to get PowerDVD working. Specially after installing patch 5711 for PowerDVD 7.3 I was experiencing things like audio disabled, no hardware acceleration allowed, region code changes reset to zero and PowerDVD crashes when trying to load a/any disc (same behaviour for PowerDVD 9 Ultra). Uninstalling the antivirus instantly enabled full PowerDVD functionality without having to reinstall it again.

Regards,

Stefan
Moviebuff [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 07, 2009 15:31 Messages: 34 Offline
[Post New]
Installing PowerDVD8, resulted in viewing a stuttering playback. Error was found to be, that my computer specification was less than recommended. Suggestions will be most appreciated.
[Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 23, 2009 10:32 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
I had no 'stuttering' when using powerdvd ultra but I have it with powerdvd 9...I have no idea why!