Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PowerDVD8 OEM & Win7 x64
MattB [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 02, 2009 13:23 Messages: 10 Offline
[Post New]
I have the above combo on my htpc. PowerDVD came with a SATA LiteOn BR reader I recently added. I installed PowerDVD uneventfully and it successfully updated it's self right away.

My first BD disc from NetFlix was Dragon Hunters and it played fine. So I tried to watch my second movie, Dolphons:IMAX (http://www.netflix.com/Movie/Dolphins_IMAX/60000425?trkid=1277260) and it doesn't want to play.

If I have the disc in when I start MediaCenter the title is correctly identified so it seems to be reading the disc ok to some extent at least. If I try to make it play in PowerDVD, I just get a black or blue blank screen. One time I got a little bit of audio without any picture. I have tried cleaning, reinserting, and setting PowerDVD to always start DVDs from the beginning.
Also, if I set it to prompt to restart or resume, I never get the prompt on this disc. At the moment is it my only BR disc as I do not own any so I cann't try a different one.

Any suggestions for me? Thanks!
Dan [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 02, 2009 18:16 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
I ran the microsoft win 7 advisor and it indicated that the PowerDVD8 OEM (Dell) would be a problem using win 7. The advisor, advised to update the software. The version 8 OEM's update selection is not highlighted, therefore I sent a PM to Cyberlink asking how to update PowerDVD. Have not received a reply. If reply is received I will post their answer.
MattB [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 02, 2009 13:23 Messages: 10 Offline
[Post New]
Well, I just wanted my movies to play so I threw some money at the problem with an upgrade to PowerDVD9. While things have improved and I can play the title that was giving me problems with PowerDVD8, another title now has jittery playback. I'm starting a new thread on that.
Rob [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 20, 2009 23:58 Messages: 10 Offline
[Post New]
Perhaps related to another issue?

http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/8387.page

Such problems seem related to DVDP9 and not so much Windows 7, also it seems independent of x32 or x64. And people have experienced issues with both ATI and nVidia chipsets. It didn't work on my Vista x64 either. It complained adamantly about my DVDP7 that came with my Blu-Ray drive saying it was not compatible. So, I also threw money at it, $70 and it didn't fix the problem. In desperation, knowing things used to play things fine on my old system, I installed version 6 and lo-and-behold...it works fine. Yes, it won't play Blu-Ray but it plays all the DVDs DVDP9 keeps puking on. So until they have the issue resolved, I have PDVD6 for regular DVDs and PDVD9 for Blu-Ray.

Not ideal, but at least it works.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 07. 2009 01:56

CyberLink-Michael [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Europe Joined: Apr 18, 2007 04:05 Messages: 7418 Offline
[Post New]
Dear Rob,

can you plese post some details about your platform?
It seems that some users in reported issues that are related to some AV SW...

Br
Michael
Rob [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Michael,
Aside from what I posted over in the other thread, I'm not using anything out of the ordinary. Aside from what Windows installs by default(i.e WMP), for AV specific software, I have installed is

-VideoLAN VLC Media Player 0.9.4
-Inmatrix Zoom Player 5.01
-PowerDVD 9 Ultra
-PowerDVD 6 Deluxe
-Quintessential Media Player (MP3s)
-A couple stand-alone image viewers (VuePro, ACDSee)
-Most recent 64-bit Creative driver (XFi Fatal1ty card)
-Most recent 64-bit nVidia driver (GeForce GTX 275)

I also have a package of video codecs installed it's located here...

http://www.free-codecs.com/download/Codec_Pack_All_in_1.htm

The difference is that the ffdShow I'm using is newer, as this was one thing I read somewhere which some people suggested as a fix for PowerDVD.

Rob
Rob [Avatar]
[Post New]
As an update,
I installed the new Zoom Player Max 7.0 Release Candidate 1 and it plays one of the problem DVDs (That PDVD9 always green screens on) just fine. It should be noted, and I'm not sure if it's related, but if I try playing a DVD in Zoom using FFDShow as the decoder, I get an ugly red error message and it complains about an undetected version of Direct-X. However, if I use DScaler as the decoder, it works fine. Are the newer PDVD versions perhaps having issues with FFDShow? Elecard decoder also complains about the DirectX version. The Microsoft Video decoder player the video, but it's garbled (See attached). It should also be noted that in the setup options for Zoom, it lists Cyberlink PowerDVD6+ as a decoder option (Which also appears to work fine in Zoom), but no mention of PDVD9 as a decoder option.

Haali's Video Renderer gives me a Macrovision failure error. All of EVR Renderer, Overlay Mixer Renderer, VMR9 (All Windowed, Windowless, Renderless) Renderer, VMR7 REnderer, seem to work fine.

I don't know if any of this can be related to PDVD, but it can't hurt.

Cheers,
Rob
[Thumb - 4af55587.jpg]
 Filename
4af55587.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
70 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
267 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 07. 2009 13:12